Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Post by Opa-Opa »

Shadow Hog wrote:That being said, how the hell can anyone hate Okami
Crazy isn't it? The other day I found out that a bunch of people actually like Sonic 2006. I don't get that either.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Opa-Opa wrote:Crazy isn't it? The other day I found out that a bunch of people actually like Sonic 2006. I don't get that either.
:D

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

So I found out that Mickey was based on Oswald who was based on Felix...

Felix the cat first cartoon:

"Feline Follies" November 9, 1919

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit first cartoon:

Trolley Troubles 1927

Mickey Mouse first cartoon

Plane Crazy, first released on May 15, 1928

Cartoons used to be a lot less racist, they where all black!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Crazy isn't it? The other day I found out that a bunch of people actually like Sonic 2006. I don't get that either.
I encountered people like that at the SRB2 boards. Even got banned for basically saying that liking that game is like enjoying cereal with somebody having done a dump in it. Me, an admin, banned for that. Actually, considering I'd never really been banned before that, it was a surreal experience to say the least.

They generally try to hide behind "WELL IT'S MY OPINION AND YOUR OPINION ISN'T BETTER THAN MINE". Yeah, um, pretty much any problem with 2K6 is based on very solid fact, not opinion (well, okay, a fair deal may be opinion, but the vast majority is fact), so... their opinion is shit.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
I encountered people like that at the SRB2 boards. Even got banned for basically saying that liking that game is like enjoying cereal with somebody having done a dump in it. Me, an admin, banned for that. Actually, considering I'd never really been banned before that, it was a surreal experience to say the least.

They generally try to hide behind "WELL IT'S MY OPINION AND YOUR OPINION ISN'T BETTER THAN MINE". Yeah, um, pretty much any problem with 2K6 is based on very solid fact, not opinion (well, okay, a fair deal may be opinion, but the vast majority is fact), so... their opinion is shit.
Liking a game doesn't necessarily mean you think it's a good one. I for once am fully aware that Sonic 06 is broken beyond repair and due to numerous flaws what you'd call a bad game. I just enjoy playing it anyway because the qualities it has manage to sometimes shine through the thick layer of incomplete and badly programmed dirt and appeal to me.
Now if I said that Sonic 06 was actually a good game then indeed I would be quite irrational and downright wrong.

CM August

Post by CM August »

For a fangame that seems to get a lot of good rap, I'm surprised to hear their forums are a nightmare.

Oh yeah, I finally picked up Sonic 06 at budget price for a first-hand experience. Even with everything I've heard, it's breathtaking how fucked up it is.

The music's genuinely excellent though, I consider it the best soundtrack since SA.

Neo

Post by Neo »

CM August wrote:For a fangame that seems to get a lot of good rap, I'm surprised to hear their forums are a nightmare.
Why? The logic is pretty simple:

Awesome game -> attracts 4-8 year-old demographic -> 4-8 year-old demographic starts shitting on the walls because they're 4-8 year-olds.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yeah, but I remember when it was more a bunch of teens (or if there were the 4-8 demo, they were very mature for 4-8 year olds). The last couple of years, they hadn't even been TRYING to be mature - hence why we have the draconian rule structure (and why an admin can instantly get banned for flaming. Although to be fair, it makes for a great threat; "if I can get banned for it, you sure as hell can...").

The chatroom, meanwhile, is almost as pessimistic and sarcastic as The GHZ is. Almost.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

I don't like Sonic 2K666, but I like the theme "His World" and the Jun Senoue remix of "Dreaming of an Absolution".

I also like the Sonic Heroes theme, even though the game is pants.

That must be some scientific law, bad Sonic game, AWESOME soundtrack.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Shadow Hog wrote: Even got banned for basically saying that liking that game is like enjoying cereal with somebody having done a dump in it.
Hahaha, great analogy.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Shadow Hog wrote:The chatroom, meanwhile, is almost as pessimistic and sarcastic as The GHZ is. Almost.
Except where I tried in futility to convince the lot of them that Sonic Advance 3 was a piece of shit...

Neo

Post by Neo »

Shadow Hog wrote:The chatroom, meanwhile, is almost as pessimistic and sarcastic as The GHZ is. Almost.
Don't believe a word this man says.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's not really a piece of shit, though. It's definitely subpar, but it's still better than Sonic Advance 2 or either Rush game. Plus it has good music, and at least a COUPLE of inventive zone locations...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

P.P.A. wrote:I just enjoy playing it (Sonic 2006) anyway because the qualities it has manage to sometimes shine through the thick layer of incomplete and badly programmed dirt and appeal to me.
What qualities? And I'm being serious here not sarcastic. I really want to know.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Opa-Opa wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:I just enjoy playing it (Sonic 2006) anyway because the qualities it has manage to sometimes shine through the thick layer of incomplete and badly programmed dirt and appeal to me.
What qualities? And I'm being serious here not sarcastic. I really want to know.
Music (which is probably one of the best in all of 3D Sonic), atmosphere (take Flame Core for example), settings, and most of all the level design. It's much less "hurr hold forward" than most other 3D Sonic games and instead there are a lot of slower actual platforming sections which thanks to the (momentum-less but) precise to the point jumping controls (not kidding, while everything else controls horribly whenever you jump you manage to always land exactly where you intended to) are really quite fun. The stages are also pretty varied and always sport some unique features. Not everything is good though, for example Aquatic Base being filled with rooms in turn full of enemies (although defeating them isn't that tedious thanks to the bounce attack), but most of them are fun to play regardless. You're even able to squeeze some fun out of the mach-speed segments once you finally get used to the awful controls and physics, since once you've mastered them it is indeed quite cool to breeze around at such speeds. Lastly, the levels also aren't that linear. There's often an alternate path or a fork in the road giving you more freedom and adding variety and replay value. Plus thanks to them gems and the programming being so broken you often have a lot of ways to entirely skip unpleasant segments in a glitchy way.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

If Sonic 06 came out on anything I owned, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I was really disappointed they cancelled the presumably enhanced PC port. I certainly intend on checking it out next generation, after a few price cuts. I dare say it will become a collector's item in future.

Aside from the fact that I just enjoy pointing out the flaws in games (in the same way it's possible to enjoy a bad movie, even if video games are much much nerdier), Sonic 06 represents a significant point in the recent development of the franchise and I'd like to pass my own judgement on it. From an outsider's point of view, it has a lot of potentially interesting ideas, set pieces, and even art direction. The soundtrack is also one of the best in recent years.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Crisis wrote:Aside from the fact that I just enjoy pointing out the flaws in games (in the same way it's possible to enjoy a bad movie, even if video games are much much nerdier), Sonic 06 represents a significant point in the recent development of the franchise and I'd like to pass my own judgement on it. From an outsider's point of view, it has a lot of potentially interesting ideas, set pieces, and even art direction. The soundtrack is also one of the best in recent years.
All these are true, yet sadly they're buried below layers of bugs and fundamentally flawed programming. Had the game been polished it would have been a shining gem; alas it's but an unrefined rock at whose core do indeed lie precious qualities, but which to appreciate requires one to drill through the rough and hard stone surrounding them. Truly a waste.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

P.P.A. wrote:(not kidding, while everything else controls horribly whenever you jump you manage to always land exactly where you intended to)
Bullshit. You keep moving while jumping and cannot slow down at all, so you wind up having to spin in circles until you land if you're trying to be precise.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

FlashTHD wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:(not kidding, while everything else controls horribly whenever you jump you manage to always land exactly where you intended to)
Bullshit. You keep moving while jumping and cannot slow down at all, so you wind up having to spin in circles until you land if you're trying to be precise.
Oh, I never actually perceived that as a problem (except for the times where I was playing as Tails).

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:Music (which is probably one of the best in all of 3D Sonic), atmosphere (take Flame Core for example), settings, and most of all the level design. It's much less "hurr hold forward" than most other 3D Sonic games and instead there are a lot of slower actual platforming sections which thanks to the (momentum-less but) precise to the point jumping controls (not kidding, while everything else controls horribly whenever you jump you manage to always land exactly where you intended to) are really quite fun. The stages are also pretty varied and always sport some unique features. Not everything is good though, for example Aquatic Base being filled with rooms in turn full of enemies (although defeating them isn't that tedious thanks to the bounce attack), but most of them are fun to play regardless. You're even able to squeeze some fun out of the mach-speed segments once you finally get used to the awful controls and physics, since once you've mastered them it is indeed quite cool to breeze around at such speeds. Lastly, the levels also aren't that linear. There's often an alternate path or a fork in the road giving you more freedom and adding variety and replay value. Plus thanks to them gems and the programming being so broken you often have a lot of ways to entirely skip unpleasant segments in a glitchy way.
not this fucking shit again

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

P.P.A. wrote:Music (which is probably one of the best in all of 3D Sonic), atmosphere (take Flame Core for example), settings, and most of all the level design. It's much less "hurr hold forward" than most other 3D Sonic games and instead there are a lot of slower actual platforming sections which thanks to the (momentum-less but) precise to the point jumping controls (not kidding, while everything else controls horribly whenever you jump you manage to always land exactly where you intended to) are really quite fun. The stages are also pretty varied and always sport some unique features. Not everything is good though, for example Aquatic Base being filled with rooms in turn full of enemies (although defeating them isn't that tedious thanks to the bounce attack), but most of them are fun to play regardless. You're even able to squeeze some fun out of the mach-speed segments once you finally get used to the awful controls and physics, since once you've mastered them it is indeed quite cool to breeze around at such speeds. Lastly, the levels also aren't that linear. There's often an alternate path or a fork in the road giving you more freedom and adding variety and replay value. Plus thanks to them gems and the programming being so broken you often have a lot of ways to entirely skip unpleasant segments in a glitchy way.
I really have to pick that up again and see it for myself. I could never force myself to finish it.

One of the main flaws I felt when I first played it is that it begins very very very boring. You begin in an Adventure Field, having to find some boring old man with five boring sets of loading times and a very boring time attack to get some boring skill to finally go to an Action Stage or Zone or whatever. And when you get there, feels like a broken copy of Emerald Coast.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

The problem is, playing through the game is a chore and an utter pain in the anus. I didn't start to actually enjoy it until I had tortured myself through the painful and tedious story mode and could finally access all the levels directly via the menu.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Sounds like swimming in shit to reach the sewage pipe. My bigger problem isn't even with the story, or the Adventure Fields, I even kinda like zooming around the city of Soleanna (and ugh, what a horrible name) but only when I have no purpose, because the missions are just too boring . But the thing with the action stages is that most of the times I don't even know why I die, and I have to play them in fear that I will die and have to wait for another 45 seconds of loading time, that is just too much for me to handle.

That said, I'll leave you with a little video I made of my experience playing Sonic 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtY4TxVo64

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

The loading times cease being a bother once you're finally through story mode. Eventually you also start to find out why you die and how to avoid it.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

After his explanation, I now fully understand and agree with P.P.A.'s sentiments towards 2K6.

That's really all there is to it, besides the awful new characters and beyond absurd and retarded plot, it was supposed to be a great game, and there are traces of that everywhere you look. Those were probably the first design elements to be thrown into the game's development, then they started to fill it up to the brim with fat: moronic "missions" in bland town stages, altogether unrelated gimmick game mechanics, et cetera. And then there is the entire mindlessly-rushing-it-for-holiday-season business, of course.

Seriously, if anyone managed to efficiently debug and polish the game's code to a point where its loading times aren't a flagrant insult and collision detection, camera and controls issues are brought to a minimum, put side-by-side with Unleashed, there's no doubt in my mind 2K6 would be the superior Sonic game (even if it kept the Shadow and Silver parts, they'd be "countered" with the werehog).

However, as fate would have it, that's not the case.

Also which version did you play Opa, the 360 or the PS3 one? Maybe it's unreasonably contrived, but perhaps it could be possible to set the system's language setting to Japanese and, once you've booted the game, change its in-game text to English? This would just save you the ear rape... or at least take it to an entirely different plane.