Iran at the edge of civil war.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Iran at the edge of civil war.

Post by P.P.A. »

During the last few days, Iran held her elections for presidency. It ended with the previous president Ahmadinejad emerging victoriously with about 66% of the votes; however, the votes were rigged and the results are most likely faked. While this was somewhat expectable, the reaction to it was not.
Apparently the charade was terribly obvious (the consistency of the votes for him as more votes were counted for example, or the fact that also bastions of the opposition were claimed to have voted primarily for Ahmadinejad), and the Iranian people did not just accept such a betrayal.

Yesterday night, the followers of the moderate opposition leader Mousavi (who lost with just 33% officially) took their anger to the streets. Giant demonstrations filled the streets of Tehran, its roofs were filled with people chanting the likes of "Allah is great" and "Death to the dictator". Bloody riots and clashes with the police ensued, the latter which also massively operated against the opposition, allegedly putting around 160 people, including Mousavi, under home arrest.
Right now, the country and especially its capital are in a state of chaos bordering civil war. All cellphone networks have been shut down, major news websites and social networks from all over the world have been blocked, the people opposing Ahmadinejad's regime are communicating primarily through Twitter, foreign journalists are more and more suppressed and forced to leave the scene.

Ayatollah Khomeini backed the government of Ahmadinejad and urged the people to follow suit, yet it appears not even the leader of the '79 revolution can calm the minds of the ones betrayed of their rights and fooled by their leaders. Mousavi already pledged for a revotum and a nullification of the current ones, while Ahmadinejad still denies anything negative - at the sight of people streaming through the streets, half in flight of the police, but full of enthusiasm and courage.
Not only because of a change in the rule of the country might ensure a more peaceful situation in the area especially for Israel, but primarily because of sympathy for these brave people standing up for their rights and democracy, not willing to let a warmongering regime oppress them by ignoring their voices I root for these people. While their chances of success are rather low and this might turn into another Tiananmen, I still wish from the bottom of my heart that they're successful.

Some links:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/1 ... 15189.html
http://shooresh1917.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... st_13.html

Neo

Re: Iran at the edge of civil war.

Post by Neo »

P.P.A. wrote:Twitter
I was going to make a fart joke, but now I feel like I don't have to.

Business too serious.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

The is the first time I have heard of violent Muslims shouting 'Allah!'. Very unique case.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Kogen wrote:The is the first time I have heard of violent Muslims shouting 'Allah!'. Very unique case.
Next thing you know they'll be declaring jihad and tearing down the giant cult of personality posters.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I think this has a lot less to do with religion than it has with politics.
Sure, we could just ask "Why can't these people in middle-east live in peace?", but the truth is a LOT more complicated.
Now, somewhat on topic... has anyone else read/watched Persepolis?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I've watched it.

Thought it was really good. I generally tend to pay more attention to the art/design/characters/animation in these things, of course, but the story was great, too. I should pick up the comic some time.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Well I like to make couples out of this stuff. I think it would be really cute if Bush (why is he not in the games as much anymore?) was together with Amadinijad (he is dark and emotional like me).

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Kogen wrote:Well I like to make couples out of this stuff. I think it would be really cute if Bush (why is he not in the games as much anymore?) was together with Amadinijad (he is dark and emotional like me).
Yeah, it sucks that Bush doesn't appear as often as he used to. They pretty much replaced him with Obama. And what really pisses me of is that its so obvious that the only reason they did that is because Obama is so damn popular among the American people (especially the younger ones, who probably didn't even started playing the series until the Reagan era), who are all like "OMG I love Obama because he is cool because he is so much darker than stupid Bush!11!!!!!1". Fucking noobs...

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Dr. Watson wrote:
Kogen wrote:Well I like to make couples out of this stuff. I think it would be really cute if Bush (why is he not in the games as much anymore?) was together with Amadinijad (he is dark and emotional like me).
Yeah, it sucks that Bush doesn't appear as often as he used to. They pretty much replaced him with Obama. And what really pisses me of is that its so obvious that the only reason they did that is because Obama is so damn popular among the American people (especially the younger ones, who probably didn't even started playing the series until the Reagan era), who are all like "OMG I love Obama because he is cool because he is so much darker than stupid Bush!11!!!!!1". Fucking noobs...
They replaced the old president with the new one because the new one is more popular.

Who'd've fucking thought, eh?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Well Sonic games have an eight year cycle, and then you have to let Sonic Team make a game about a dual-gendered clown.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Obama is way to publicized these days. Compared to Bush he comes off in the media pretty much as flawless. Everybody I talk to always say they love him. I'm worried that if they build him up like that and he fucks up in one way or another everybody will instantly start hating him. It's a lot like how if Spider-man messes up once everybody in manhattan starts hating on him despite everything he does right. And I'm sick of every analogy I make is related to comic books, video games and stuff of that nature. I got to get new hobbies.

Yash

Post by Yash »

Majestic Joey wrote:Obama is way to publicized these days. Compared to Bush he comes off in the media pretty much as flawless. Everybody I talk to always say they love him. I'm worried that if they build him up like that and he fucks up in one way or another everybody will instantly start hating him. It's a lot like how if Spider-man messes up once everybody in manhattan starts hating on him despite everything he does right. And I'm sick of every analogy I make is related to comic books, video games and stuff of that nature. I got to get new hobbies.
You should have seen Bush after 9/11 though.

He had something like a 90% approval rating after that.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Crowbar wrote:Thought it [Persepolis] was really good. I generally tend to pay more attention to the art/design/characters/animation in these things, of course, but the story was great, too. I should pick up the comic some time.
Please do. I'm a fan of both the movie and the graphic novels (Persepolis was split into two volumes in the US), and though they each tell the same story, their respective mediums create a different experience for each. At least that's the way it was for me. Great story overall, of course.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Dr. Watson wrote:And what really pisses me of is that its so obvious that the only reason they did that is because Obama is so damn popular among the American people (especially the younger ones, who probably didn't even started playing the series until the Reagan era), who are all like "OMG I love Obama because he is cool because he is so much darker than stupid Bush!11!!!!!1". Fucking noobs...
Yeah, Americans only vote for black politicians. And that's Obama's main strength - his skin color. (That's sarcasm mind you.)

And what's with the ballgame analogies?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

3 Words,

Obama is a pawn of a greater evil, people are dumb, this world will end soon.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Dasher wrote:3 Words,

Obama is a pawn of a greater evil, people are dumb, this world will end soon.
16 words, actually.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I counted 17 words and one number. But 17 is a number too! What were we talking about again?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I think it had something to do with Iranians going batshit insane after an election.

I think. It's kind of hard to tell, what with how topics rapidly change on this forum.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I had some hope that there was intellectual discussion going on, but instead this happened.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Delphine wrote:I had some hope that there was intellectual discussion going on, but instead this happened.
Alright, let us have some Iranian discussion.

To start, all wenches have to leave the thread.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Lame.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:And what really pisses me of is that its so obvious that the only reason they did that is because Obama is so damn popular among the American people (especially the younger ones, who probably didn't even started playing the series until the Reagan era), who are all like "OMG I love Obama because he is cool because he is so much darker than stupid Bush!11!!!!!1". Fucking noobs...
Yeah, Americans only vote for black politicians. And that's Obama's main strength - his skin color. (That's sarcasm mind you.)

And what's with the ballgame analogies?
Just so i don't accidentally come of as some kind of right-winger, i want to make it clear that i didn't mean a word i said. Also, i was making video game series analogies. You know, like, American politics being a game series, and Bush being an old staple-of-the-series character, and the American people being the series fanbase, and Obama being the new "darker" character who takes over Bush's role in the series due to being more popular among the fanbase. So yeah, I was just, you know, being really, really hilariously funny.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Obama is Shadow the Hedgehog?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Just in case anyone is wondering, the election was not actually rigged. This is just the US and other Liberals trying to cause an issue with Iran for obvious reasons.

The BBC recently cropped images of government supporters and told everyone they were rioting against the government, proving it is all made up. This is specifically why they banned them.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Zeta wrote:Obama is Shadow the Hedgehog?
I'm more amused by the thought of Bush being Sonic.

Either him or George Washington.