Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Post by Zeta »

http://kotaku.com/5275854/new-metroid-g ... id-other-m

OK, so a new Metroid game for the Wii that's a third-person action game with really impressive combat. Sort of like Devil May Cry + Metroid. I'm very much sold, to be honest. I mean, being able to slam Ridley down, shove the gun right into his mouth, and blast him at point blank range? Totally badass. And I like how the new Samus design still looks like her, but far less over-sexualized. It looks like they'll be following the trend from Fusion and Prime 3 and developing the story a lot more, too - which is nice, I think.

Esrever
Drano Master

Re: Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Post by Esrever »

It doesn't hurt that the game looks gorgeous, too... with a style that seems to be mixing the art direction of the Prime games and Super Metroid. I'm pretty sure the Wii can't actually run at this resolution, though...

I am kind of bummed to see Retro off the series, since they did such phenomenal work, but I suppose they are busy with other things now.

I like the short-haired, less trampy look for Samus too, but I'm pretty sure it's just for flashbacks to her academy days or something. There's some other shots of her in the trailer where she looks like the regular Zero Suit Samus.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Hear that? That's all the subtlety of Metroid dying.

And less sexualized? Her tits are bigger than ever.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Dude, what are you talking about?

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14354733 ... 60209.html

Even in the shots of the zero suit they look pretty understated. It's nothing like in Brawl.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, Samus was more tarted up in Brawl than in any other appearence outside of the extra-special winner bikini screens - but even they didn't make her ass and boobs as big as Zero Suit Samus in Brawl did. Her ass and boobs are actually pretty flat here.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Before I even realized it was Samus (it was only until Malkovich said "any objections, lady?"(Why no Russian accent?)), my first thought when I saw her was, "damn, those are some huge tits". So yeah, in my opinion, they dwarf even Brawl's.

Also Anonymous dead guy from Super Metroid is some ultra-bland Token Black Guy. Ugh.

I'm skipping this one with extreme prejudice.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Way to have a baw fest over unimportant crap.

Oh noes, males in Zelda.

And huge tits, really? Please.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah... I just don't see it, dude. She looks kind of petite in the trailer to me.

Mind you, it's not like I think Samus isn't ALLOWED to be curvy or something. They can give her whatever kind of body they want, as long as they don't stuff it into some retarded tiny outfit that looks like it was designed by a virgin sci-fi nerd with a latex fetish. Samus is a badass. She should be shooting people in the face with missles, not taunting them with ass cleavage and an electric whip. Her boobs should not be a selling feature. When I heard Team Ninja was developing this, I had nightmare visions of Samus Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, she's pretty damn flat both in the trunk and the behind. And Echoes, Hunters, and Fusion already started introducing characters other than Samus into the franchise, so I don't see the problem with black guy and Adam being in this.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Zeta wrote:
Way to have a baw fest over unimportant crap.

Oh noes, males in Zelda.

And huge tits, really? Please.
Turning the Metroid into a brawler is fucking stupid. You get to preemptively dismiss games, why shouldn't I?

When did I say I had a problem with males in Metroid? Their portrayal yes.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Turning the Metroid into an FPS is fucking stupid.
Fixed.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Right, 'cause Samus never shot shit up in her seminal games. :roll: She took her arm cannon and bludgeoned Kraid's testicles into a fine dust.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

She looks pretty petite to me.

I'll probably skip this one anyway since the only Metroid game I was even a little bit into was the first Prime. Admittedly I thought it was one of the best games ever, but since I have completely failed to replicate the same feelings with any prior or later entries to the series, I feel very unqualified to judge this trailer. I will say it looks like a completely different direction from the traditional Metroid games. I mean all the subtle atmosphere and mysterious storyline and ambiguous characterisation has been completely replaced with space marine drama and crash-bang shooty action. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. It's just a bit of a radical departure.

What have Retro Studios been up to? I've been meaning to check them out. Maybe the massive amounts of money, success, and babes that making Metroid sequels entailed was cramping their style.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Being a fan of both Metroid and Ninja Gaiden, this game's premise is very appealing to me. I have my fingers crossed.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Giving Metroid a 'deep (Sonic 06) story' and letting a team where all the talent (if you can still call that talent) has left to do it?

I would not put much faith in this.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

What have Retro Studios been up to? I've been meaning to check them out. Maybe the massive amounts of money, success, and babes that making Metroid sequels entailed was cramping their style.
If the rumors are true, they're heading up the new first-person Zelda for the Wii.
Right, 'cause Samus never shot shit up in her seminal games. :roll: She took her arm cannon and bludgeoned Kraid's testicles into a fine dust.
You need to be a polite sniper when fighting space pirates and not use your alien hybrid super strength and super strong power suit to actually TOUCH the enemies. That would be downright impolite!
Giving Metroid a 'deep (Sonic 06) story' and letting a team where all the talent (if you can still call that talent) has left to do it?
I doubt the storyline will be anything more detailed than Samus's backstory finally detailed in flashbacks and cutscenes.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Zeta wrote: You need to be a polite sniper when fighting space pirates and not use your alien hybrid super strength and super strong power suit to actually TOUCH the enemies. That would be downright impolite!
Here innate super strength which required an additional power-up to enable her to haul her hefty 200-pound-frame (suit included) over a ledge.

What, are pirates like 100-150?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

What, are pirates like 100-150?
They're chitinous and naked, I don't think they'd be very heavy.
Here innate super strength which required an additional power-up to enable her to haul her hefty 200-pound-frame (suit included) over a ledge.
Jumping 10 feet straight up while weighting 200-pounds would suggest her arms are or should be just as powerful. Not to mention being able to gain height by launching yourself rapidly up walls - which from the angle of her arms suggests that those things aren't exactly toothpicks.

Watching the end of the trailer, it looks like this story features young (late teens and short hair) Samus meeting old (early-30s and long hair) Samus, which would explain the "Other M" title.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

You notice those rockets on her back that fire whenever she jumps? Yeah.

And what person has arm strength equivalent to leg strength, that's not how humans work.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

And what person has arm strength equivalent to leg strength, that's not how humans work.
No, but that's how power-suits work.
You notice those rockets on her back that fire whenever she jumps? Yeah.
? What rockets. I just started off Super Metroid and could naturally jump ten-feet up. There wasn't anything coming out of her back. And when Samus wall-jumps, she uses her arms to brace herself against the wall and push off it. If she's wearing a 200-lb suit that has the ability to jump with enough speed and force to propel that sort of mass through the air, her arms would fucking shatter like toothpicks if she didn't have super strength.

It's just like Mega Man. Mega Man could, according the story and designs, chuck a semi-truck over his head - but the game never gave you the option. However, it's not like a human could beat Mega Man in an arm-wrestling match.

Also, why would you build a suit that can shoot 10 feet into the air 200 lbs of weight but not alter the strength of the arms in any way? Trying to save on cash?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Play Smash bros. Prefferably the newer ones.

And to reiterate: Upgrade needed to simply haul her ass over a ledge. This excludes Fusion 'cause of metroid DNA shit.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

And to reiterate: Upgrade needed to simply haul her ass over a ledge. This excludes Fusion 'cause of metroid DNA shit.
And Link needed a magic bracelet to pick up a bomb the size of a bowling ball in Ocarina of Time. I guess that means that he can't lift anything over 16 pounds or he dies.

And Mario, he used to only pick up small things. Then in Mario 64, he's picking up Bowser by the tail and tossing him several yards. WTF?!
Play Smash bros. Prefferably the newer ones.
Oh yeah, I forgot Samus had no melee attacks in Smash Bros.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Is adding a couple of grapples and throws really that big a deal? Judging by the trailer, there's still a pretty clear heavy emphasis on shooting. I don't think they're going to just dump Samus into the Ninja Gaiden engine.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Zeta wrote:If the rumors are true, they're heading up the new first-person Zelda for the Wii.
I am excited.

Also I think the Metroid universe is flexible enough to allow a more combat based brawler. It just might not be a very good idea from a gameplay standpoint as it does sort of disregard most of what Metroid is popular for.

Then again, as I mentioned, I never really "got" Metroid in the first place.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The game looks awesome, anyone with a list of complaints after watching that trailer must be the incredibly whiney type who feels the need to be overwhelmingly negative about anything Nintendo related or something.

There's very little to go on from the trailer that lets you determine how the gameplay is going to be, all that we can see is that it's going to mix a variety of different camera angles and freshen up the franchise a bit with some more action and story based elements. There's nothing to suggest though that the main gameplay still wont be exploration based but when they have shit like this in the game it's obvious it'd be the focus for an exciting trailer.

I'm completely behind this. Metroid is my favourite franchise and any game that features third person 3D Metroid gameplay to some degree has me instantly excited. I liked the Prime games a lot but I can't deny that I always preferred the idea of a third person title, even if it would be a lot harder to pull off successfully.