Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Zeta wrote:
And to reiterate: Upgrade needed to simply haul her ass over a ledge. This excludes Fusion 'cause of metroid DNA shit.
And Link needed a magic bracelet to pick up a bomb the size of a bowling ball in Ocarina of Time. I guess that means that he can't lift anything over 16 pounds or he dies.

And Mario, he used to only pick up small things. Then in Mario 64, he's picking up Bowser by the tail and tossing him several yards. WTF?!
Zelda fantasy (not to mention that it's not the bombs weight, but the fact that it's rooted to the fucking earth. Mario cartoon fantasy with no cohesive anything. Metroid Sci-fi with an in-universe set of rules.
Play Smash bros. Prefferably the newer ones.
Oh yeah, I forgot Samus had no melee attacks in Smash Bros.
Smash bros. Canonocity aside, I'm reffering to the graphical representation of needing rockets to lift her bulk ass of the ground..

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Wow, I find myself looking forward to this. To begin, one of the things I wish I could do in Corruption is /was use my grapple beam to pull enemies towards me and shoot them at point blank range, now it appears that I will not even need a grappling hook, which is great. Continuing on, while I would prefer that they would make the zero suit matte and a darker blue, seeing as Samus was raised by technologically advanced birds and from the looks of it enjoyed combat training as a hobby, I always thought of Samus as curvy yet athletic (think women tennis player kind of look),and it looks like this new design fits perfect, and even better her face conveys a heroic justice filled look than he unsettling eyes half open trampy look that Esrever mentioned; I mean, the zero suit ending in prime 2 gives me nightmares. The graphics look really good, the enviroments and enemies look amazing, though I would like a more prime like power suit, and though pre rendered cut-scenes are not really that amazing any more they look good too, the only downside to the pre rendered stuff is that it cannot smoothly transition from cut scene to gameplay like in previous games (see meta ridely fight from Prime).

So lets see,

First person shooter and melee gampeplay designed by a competent team? check.

A trim and attractive Samus? check.

Awesome graphics? check.

And Adam friggin Malkovich? check.

Angels sing.....

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I didn't see this thread when I wrote my thoughts in the Mario thread, so I'll just paste them here.

To me, it's like they gave the series to Michael Bay - I expect there will be boobs and explosions instead of a focus on exploration. But I'm hoping its break from its roots will give an RE4-like result. I'm skeptical, but can't talk because I still haven't gotten around to playing Prime 3 (I'll get Trilogy for sure).

Does anyone else think that the graphics engine looks similar to Ninja Gaiden?

Dr.BUGMAN, it's good to see that someone else isn't completely pumped for this.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

I miss the times when Samus would hardly ever be seen without her armor on. It made her seem less human and less feminine than she does these days, which was cool because you still knew that she was in fact human and that she was in fact female, only you couldn't easily tell. I always found that very appealing about the character, the knowledge that within that awesome robotic armor there was actually a normal-looking human woman, that the characters true being was a mystery.

But these days, Samus is all blue boobs and voice acting. *Grump* *grump*...

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Dr. Watson wrote:I miss the times when Samus would hardly ever be seen without her armor on. It made her seem less human and less feminine than she does these days, which was cool because you still knew that she was in fact human and that she was in fact female, only you couldn't easily tell. I always found that very appealing about the character, the knowledge that within that awesome robotic armor there was actually a normal-looking human woman, that the characters true being was a mystery.

But these days, Samus is all blue boobs and voice acting. *Grump* *grump*...
I will whole heatedly agree with this sir, and wish that to this prior state we will one day come close to returning; though now that the knowledge of Samus's true self has become far spread it is impossible to go all the way back. In the meantime however we must find the good in what we get, and who knows? maybe Other M will feature mostly full suited Samus.

And of course my previous post comments still stand.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The best thing about this game for me perhaps is that it's the first 3D title in the series that Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto has been heavily involved with (going by this ign interview he's directing the game even).

That's awesome to me, it's the first time we'll get a feel of what a 3D title is like from the man who directed all of the 2D games (except Metroid 2). I enjoyed the Prime series but they did feel like they were missing out on the Japanese influence that would truly make them have the same "feel" as the sidescrollers.

For me this is comparable to what it'd be like if Miyamoto was making his first 3D Mario or Zelda title now instead of back in the day.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Director dodges the question on whether Samus will be more sexualized in this game or not.
"Every female character in our games is as attractive as possible, both inside and out", Hayashi said. "There has to be something attractive".

"But as long as we provide that in the one place - the inside - that's what's important with this game".
Source.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Yoshio Sakamoto: What my team and I are shooting for is the ultimate Metroid experience. Up until now we've created the Samus who, yes, is indeed a strong, charming and very cool heroine. But what we're hoping to create is a Samus now that not just fans of Metroid will appreciate, but everyone who is experiencing the game.
:/

Maybe i'm seeing things but I think this tends to be what a Nintendo employee says these days before something particularly shitty/broken happens. Was a decent interview up until that.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Now that I took time to compose myself, the way I see it, Prime was Metroid from a first-person perspective, whereas this is Metroid as a brawler. Which brings up a problem: combat. Barring boss battles, enemies were merely speed bumps for Samus--they only serve to make you move more deliberately. One of my major gripes with MP3 aside from Halo-esque space drama, was that enemies were no longer a speed bump, but full-blown nuisances, making the obligatory backtracking a fucking chore. This goes all the way to the Chozo ghosts from MP1, got worse in MP2, but was full-blown in MP3.

That, and Samus is totally straddling the Uncanny Valley.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Haha, "straddling".

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Y'know, Nintendo R&D 1 is working on this just as much as Team Ninja is. Not to mention the co-creator/head of all the 2D Metroid games (who is also behind the story of the series) is director...
I'm pretty sure this will end up being awesome. I do miss Retro's style a bit, though. I hope they announce what they're working on soon.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Several months later:

http://www.metroid-database.com/index.p ... &p=screens

It's always nice to see a Wii game with better graphics than a PS2. The resolution is obviously not going to be that high, but the game is looking pretty good either way.
The Metroid Database wrote:Kotaku also mentions in the article that the control scheme uses the Wii Remote held sideways for side-scrolling sequences with the pointer used for "first-person exploration and shooting." As for the story, the game takes place aboard the "decommissioned Bottle Ship" chock-full of action, exploration, and voice acting along with a "revealing, personal story" behind Samus. There should be more in-depth overviews of gameplay this evening.

[...]

Looks like players will be able to freely switch between first-person and third-person mode, allowing for easy targeting of enemies and smooth exploration
This sounds weird. The game seems to have 3D environments, but you hold the Wii Remote sideways? And if you can't use the Nunchuk, switching to first-person view will likely imply you can't move around (unless you use the D-Pad while holding the Remote vertically, which doesn't seem very convenient...)

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

"oh samus-kun how you're troubled past haunts you. mo-eh."

haha it's a first-person shooter, too.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I can't figure out how this is going to work, either.

Look at the map in the top right. It's an overhead view of the level, not a side view... doesn't that imply that Samus can move in all directions, not just left and right?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It looks like in areas where there's a narrow hallway you can only move left and right in 2D, while in areas where it shows a more open area you can move in 3D.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071925p1.html <-- spoilers within, so here's the interesting bits:

-- 2D controls are D-pad to move (tap any direction to do a sidestep), 2 to jump, 1 to shoot, and A for the Morph Ball. You can drop normal bombs in the ball with 1 or hold the button to rev up a Power Bomb, and you can do the scatter-bomb ability from Fusion by holding a charge shot and ducking into the ball. (The functions of + and - aren't known yet.) As usual she has the Wall Jump, and it sounds like it's done in the same fashion as Super.

-- In first person mode, you cannot move; only attack (A), look/lock-on (B) and presumably scan. As previously explained you get in and out of FPS mode by pointing the remote at the screen.

-- There seems to be an auto-aiming effect in place where if an enemy is near, Samus automatically points at it when you shoot. Regarding the cinematic attacks:
you can also play defensively. When enemies shoot projectiles, you can cinematically dive out of harm's way if you tap any direction on the D-Pad just before impact. Works flawlessly and looks good, too. Time it just right and Samus can pull off reversals on alien attacks, too. And if you beat an enemy into submission, you can also perform a thrilling finishing move complete with a sweeping camera that spotlights Samus as she cinematically disposes of the poor creature in question.
-- In cutscenes Samus does most of her talking via monologues. BTW, Remember Me Black Guy is now known as Anthony Higgs - same initials as Armstrong Houston, anyway.

-- They claim this about exploration:
The design of the world -- stretching in every direction, separated by doorways (some of which are locked), multi-tiered -- facilitates exploration, which was a previous point of skepticism for me. Nintendo reps on hand said that the demo only represents the very beginning of the game -- by comparison, the first 45 minutes of Metroid Prime, at which time exploration has only just begun.
Dunno why I didn't think of that, quite frequently the start of a Metroid game is the point with the least amount of room to wander.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So, you hold the wiimote NES style and use the d-pad to move Samus about in 3D space... then, when you want to shift into the first person mode, you switch to one-handing the wiimote and aim the pointer at the screen.

I know most of the previews are using phrases like "works surprisingly well", but even so, isn't it still unnecessarily awkward? I mean, even if they WANT digital, eight-directional style movement for Samus... why not use the nunchuk for it anyway, so that you can switch into first person mode without having to reposition the controller? Is there some advantage to avoiding the nunchuk that I'm not thinking of?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

FlashTHD wrote:the scatter-bomb ability from Fusion by holding a charge shot and ducking into the ball.
You mean from Super.

Anyway, that all sounds...good? I dunno, thus far there's nothing specifically wrong with anything I've heard about this (save maybe the cinematic attacks), but the whole concept just sounds a bit weird.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Ugh, I really hope they were just showcasing the ability to play without a Nunchuk, and that it's still possible to use one. If there's one thing I hate it's playing 3D games with a D-Pad. That... and not being able to move in first-person view sounds stupid. Several hands-on previews have confirmed that you're pretty much a sitting duck in first-person view because of this. Why are they doing this? In a Metroid game, no less?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'm excited for this game, but the lack of a strafing ability in first-person mode worries me. Is the D-Pad used in that mode? If not, why not use it for that?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Sounds weird. Why don't they just let you move around with the nuncchuk and aim with the Wiimote? In normal gameplay that is, without a shooting gallery first person mode.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Somehow or another the entire CG intro got leaked, and is going the rounds every place that the legal department hasn't smoked out with Raid yet.

Meanwhile, haha oh wow. Her arm cannon is a secret weapon in the japanese version of Phantasy Star 0. (scroll to the bottom)

Neo

Post by Neo »

I'm sorry I actually have to say this, but OLD. The game's been out for over a year. There's also a Mario pipe (Dokkan Cannon) and Link's shield (Hylia Shield).

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I say - I say, little fella. Get this no-good Team Ninja off-a this game pronto!

Seriously, they are ruining what could otherwise be a nice Metroid title on Wii. Story? 3D? Go eat dicks, guys, this is a dumb idea. I was not that big of a fan of the Prime series, but at least it kept true to mood of the game; this is just a mess of two contrasting ideas.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

There's things to expect from any popular franchise.

But it's usually from fan-fic writers and not the people behind the property.

YEEESH.