How appropriate you fight like a cow

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Gaz

How appropriate you fight like a cow

Post by Gaz »

The Monkey Island series is making a return with both a HD re-release of the original Secret of Monkey Island and a new episodic five part series.

I'm pretty glad to hear this. Lucasarts made some pretty good point and click adventure games back in the day but it seemed like they'd completely given up on the genre to focus on crappy Star Wars games. It's not too surprising to hear Telltale are the ones developing the new series but their output has mostly been decent so far. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Arcade

Re: How appropriate you fight like a cow

Post by Arcade »

Gaz wrote:The Monkey Island series is making a return with both a HD re-release of the original Secret of Monkey Island and a new episodic five part series.

I'm pretty glad to hear this. Lucasarts made some pretty good point and click adventure games back in the day but it seemed like they'd completely given up on the genre to focus on crappy Star Wars games. It's not too surprising to hear Telltale are the ones developing the new series but their output has mostly been decent so far. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Dude a few things

A) The guy who made the first two games IS NOT INVOLVED!

B) THe series really sucks since the fourth game

C) PLease, five parts? What they are going to use Lec Chuck AGAIN? For like five games more? Gess...

Blount

Post by Blount »

Yes, well.

A) You've got Telltale making the game (which alone is gold) and all these people as well, including the original design director. So Ron Gilbert isn't there, boohoo.

B) Quite the statement, especially considering there are only four games total.

C) LeChuck is awesome and it's only one new game divided in 5 parts, not 5 new games.

D) Please tell me where you got your copy because I thought it hadn't come out yet.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

The series sucks since the fourth game? That's a mighty impressive effort since zero new Monkey Island adventures have surfaced since number four - which kinda sucked, yes. But Curse of Monkey Island was awesome, and I'd love to go through the original Secret of Monkey Island with the Curse voice cast.

And Ron Gilbert was kinda involved. At least Telltale Games was nice and invited him to a brain-storming session. Maybe he even told them the Secret of Monkey Island...? Yeah, I know, fat chance. He'll never spill the beans on that one. Whatever it is, it can't be worse than a giant steam-powered monkey robot.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I was very exited about the remake for X360 but today I tried the Sam&Max demo and I got bored very quickly, it's been a lot of years since I played one of those games and enjoyed them, I'm not sure if I want to discover I already don't...

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, the fourth game really sucked. At least the third game fell like a monkey island, despite the fact it wasnt very funny.

Can you keep going after a really awfull game? Yes you can, see Sonic Crash Bandicot. But is worth it?

No, see Sonic and Crash Bandicot...

Blount

Post by Blount »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:I was very exited about the remake for X360 but today I tried the Sam&Max demo and I got bored very quickly, it's been a lot of years since I played one of those games and enjoyed them, I'm not sure if I want to discover I already don't...
Are we talking about Hit the Road? Because the demo is pretty short and boring. It picks up in the full game.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

No, we're talking about Sam and Max: Season One.

Episode One was probably what the demo was of, and it really picked up steam as it went on, so.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I got bored of it without finishing the demo... just when you exit the office after abusing the rat.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Well you're not giving it much of a chance then. Episode 101, I thought, was alright. I really hated Episode 102 though, mostly because of that damned sitcom part. But it's all great after that, and the quality steadily increases with each passing episode, both humor and puzzle-wise. Season Two is even better, and the way it manages to connect all the (seemingly unrelated) episodes together at the end is brilliant.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I think it's more a matter of gameplay, gameplay I enjoyed 15 years ago and maybe I no longer enjoy it.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

in monkey island you picked a stupid text option and the character SAID IT, not like 99% of all the other games of is type... plus you could do some funny stuff.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

So, uh, yeah, the first episode of this game was pretty damn good. Even if the jungle puzzles got a bit tiring after a while.

"Deep Gut? Elaine's mother is here?"

Blount

Post by Blount »

I second that, but I didn't mind the jungle puzzles as much as I was disappointed with the overall shortness of it. If the rest of the episodes are just as enjoyable and a bit longer, then I'm happy.

They really put a lot of references to the old games in this one. Good times.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, it took me about four hours to beat it (and that's due to missing a few doohickies and things I could click on - the usual adventure game issues). If that's the overall length of the other four episodes, it'll still be a good twenty-hour game overall. Pretty good length for a game, period.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I've played through the first episode. It's good but it feels like it's lacking something. Decent but not exactly Monkey Island at it's best. Still, it's probably worth noting that most of Telltale's episodic series hit their peak in the later episodes so I'm sure things will probably improve as the series goes on.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

So should I get the new Tales series?

I'm definitely buying the Secret SE tomorrow on Steam.

Blount

Post by Blount »

My plan is to get both. As pointed out by Gaz, most - if not all - of Telltale's games get better with each episode. Considering the first episode of Tales was quite good, it seems like a safe bet to me. I think the only problem with it is that we, as Monkey Island fans, aren't used to playing the games in an episodic fashion, so this felt more like a demo of what's to come. But it was a pretty fine "demo" nonetheless. I mean, it's not like the previous games didn't get better as you went through more and more screens. The only difference is that we didn't have to wait for a month to get new screens back then.

Or so I am willing to believe!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I got both and they are both awesome. I got the Special Edition for the Live Arcade though. Looks prettier on a bigger screen. Dominic Armato sounds great as young Guybrush. Here's hoping for LeChuck's Revenge.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I wont buy a game that has stuff removed... had more than enough about that with pokemon games. And thats the reason I want to play the Comodore 64 version of Maniac Mansion, I want the damn meteorite to be eaten by the plant!

But the new series looks good, I may get it when they make a copilation of the episodes, like I did with Sam&Max...

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Arcade wrote:I wont buy a game that has stuff removed... had more than enough about that with pokemon games. And thats the reason I want to play the Comodore 64 version of Maniac Mansion, I want the damn meteorite to be eaten by the plant!

But the new series looks good, I may get it when they make a copilation of the episodes, like I did with Sam&Max...
Stuff removed on Monkey Island? What are you talking about? The version is flawless, except for the stump joke, that was taken off from the CD version anyway. Since the version they used is the CD version (with the graphic inventory), there is no stump joke, and that really would make no sense nowadays.

CM August

Post by CM August »

So what was the stump joke anyway?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg20ANMoy1U

Seriously, I've done it myself.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Guybrush fear of Porcelain also makes no sence, but they used that in at least two games...

So, Sam&Max still make cameos in the game?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, that's episode 2 in the bag. Now to wait a month to see if Guybrush ever gets his friggin' hand back. Oh, and escapes from the belly of a manatee. Yeah. Can't you feel the suspense?