Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Post by K2J »

Copy-paste from Sonic Retro about Nintendo at E3 2009.

This year's pre-rumor of choice is a Nikkei article, which mentions two particular games:

The first is Wii Fit Plus, which already has a trademark for the name and logo. The name suggests that it will use not only the balance board, but also the MotionPlus attachment. The Nikkei article suggests, in addition, that it will be online. Not too big of a deal; I doubt it'll be anything besides some cumbersome data sharing using Friend Codes.

However, there is a second game: a Mario game for the Wii, to be released at the end of this year in Japan. There are a couple of possibilities that come to my mind:
  • It's a totally new 3D Mario game. This is extremely unlikely; unlike a certain other video game hero, "real" Mario games come out a lot less frequently.
  • It's a remake of Super Mario Galaxy. This is also unlikely - it would be remade for a new feature, or control scheme. MotionPlus wouldn't fit very well, as the game's motion controls were limited to shaking and pointing. So unless there's a new hardware feature that's going to be announced, I say no on a remake.
  • It's a sports, party, or otherwise only sorta-Mario game. Mario Party fits well, with the MotionPlus attachment enabling a new group of minigames.
  • It's some other subfranchise, such as an RPG (sort of doubtful, due to M&L's Japanese release not too long ago).
  • It's a 2.5D game. No real citation or reasoning, but it's been a while since NSMB, so I could see it happening. Also to note that the Wario Land franchise got a sidescroller for the Wii, so perhaps we'll get another Super Mario Land?
  • It's something completely new and unexpected, in a genre Mario hasn't really touched recently/memorably/at all.
Let the speculation commence!

Zeta

Re: Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Post by Zeta »

Considering the new Zelda game turned out to be Phantom Hourglass 2, I think this is probably either another adequate but boring spinoff like Mario Party 19 or New Super Mario Bros 2 for the Wii.

Neo

Post by Neo »

It's Super Mario Sunshine with New Play Control™.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh god, I hope you're joking. :shock:

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

It is New Super Mario Bros. 3 with a huge budget and it is the best game that will ever be made.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Neo wrote:It's Super Mario Sunshine with New Play Control™.
Given what Microsoft apparently just unveiled at their E3 show I might actually give up on console games forever if that turns out to be the case.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'm hoping for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

...and ready for the disappointment that's sure to follow. Of course Shigeru said they were starting work on a new, true Mario game for Wii within a couple of months after Galaxy came out. And then I think about Mario 128.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Given what Microsoft apparently just unveiled at their E3 show I might actually give up on console games forever if that turns out to be the case.
What, you don't want to use Microsoft's eyetoy to play with your pet virtual 12-year old boy, forged in a studio filled with pictures and statues of pre-teen boys all around? Use your hands to interact with him, delicately stroke his soft skin, sprinkle water on his supple young body . . .

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I thought the conversational AI was pretty amazing. It's surely not as versatile as they lead us to believe, but the potential is mind blowing. The image recognition software too. They didn't do a very good job of showing what it's capably of, but the Vuzix that my brother works with has had it for a while now and the things he described it doing were pretty phenomenal.

But it's just potential. I find myself thinking of things in those terms a lot these days. All of these recent technological innovations have great potential. The Wii appeared to, but all that's really brought us is a light gun, pointer, and camera control. Will these new features fare any better? Would producing a game that makes use of these things outside of shallow gimmickry or minigames be too much work to be cost effective? I'm not even looking for new genres; I'd like to see an old genre made more immersive. An RPG with some of that AI, even with the limits it surely has, would be insane. A first person game like Myst where you can interact with the environment using your hands would at least get us started on our way. I really don't want to see this wasted on Xbox fit, which won't work anyway since Nintendo has already firmly secured the casual non-gaming community.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

A first person game like Myst where you can interact with the environment using your hands would at least get us started on our way. I really don't want to see this wasted on Xbox fit, which won't work anyway since Nintendo has already firmly secured the casual non-gaming community.
I honestly can't imagine any games aside from Puzzle Adventure, Sim, or minigame that could possibly be improved by having pretend hand gestures instead of a controller in your hand. In practical terms - this set-up won't be working well for any games more complex than simple gestures. I can't imagine being able to accurately drive a car, walk through an area, or shoot a gun with just vague gestures and have it feel intuitive and responsive.

It will go the way of the Sony Eyetoy.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's definitely nothing new, but it looks technologically more impressive than anything that's been done yet. I kind of agree with Frieza, I think it could be used for some more intuitive controls and ultimately a more immersive experience in some genres, adventure games or RPG's or something not too action-heavy, but yeah, you'll never get the kind of precision with those kind of controls that you'll have with normal, tangible controller buttons.

Not that I expect anything other than Xbox Sports and Xbox Fit out of it, but the technology is undeniably impressive.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Young virgin lads peaking up Nintendo's skirt.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It'll be interesting to see what is actually better at capturing and interpreting gestures... Natal, or WiiMotionPlus. Talk about two totally different approaches towards achieving the same thing!

The new Mario game seems to be "New Super Mario Bros. Wii"... a new 2D sidescroller with the visual style of the DS game, and with four player co-op.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

So it's Mario Party 19 and NSMB2. Ha!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Huh... and apparently they're making a sequel to Galaxy for the Wii as well!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

And Team Ninja collaborating with Nintendo on the next Metroid Game. WTF?

So, to summarize all the new stuff announced: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Fit Plus, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS, Metroid: Other M, and the mysterious pulse-monitoring peripheral. Not a bad showing for Nintendo, really, although I sure wish they'd launch some new IP again someday.

K2J

Post by K2J »

I'm not going to post the entirety of my impressions on this board, because I'm sure you guys wouldn't care, but here's some excerpts.
OK, I’ve calmed down now and had a bit to process this. My impressions:

It started out pretty good – unfortunately, my Internet died for the entirety of the NSMB run, so I wasn’t able to get to see that. Of course, this means I went into the rest of the presser pretty pissed. It sounds like a nice diversion, but it seems like it would be better-suited to the DS. From what I’ve been able to piece together, it’s Mario’s take on Four Swords.

That’s all the first party stuff you’re going to show about MotionPlus? I mean, sure, the third party stuff is exciting, but this is your conference. Do something. I think I understand why the WiiSports Resort took up so much of the time – it’s because you wanted to show off MotionPlus, but didn’t have anything new to bring with it!

Let’s see, RPGs. I guess SquareEnix fans are giddy… the M&L trailer looks pretty cool, too, though it’s a bit of an awkward subtitle.

Golden Sun DS... I think this is good news, but the trailer was short, and jittery. I never played the original two, but I think a hand-drawn look would’ve worked better here instead of a textured one, since the DS tends to be pretty bad at them.

It was interesting how Cammie started out the conference talking about how videogames compared to other media, because the conference in general didn’t feel like that at all. Over the course of the presser, it looked like they were marketing a toy, not a form of media or artistic expression. Games like Portal push the envelope of what games can be, where Nintendo is still stuck with the interface, not the message. MotionPlus is great, guys, but what good is it if all it’s going to bring is more minigame collections?

TL;DR version. Nintendo’s conference was very polar. Not bipolar, just polar. You should’ve at least scattered the hardcore games around the conference, not placing your two big hitters at the end in a row. The focus on Mario is also a bit disconcerting. Overall, this conference was leagues better than last year’s, but only because of the final 10 minutes. And even then I’m not very impressed with your “innovation”.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Here's the trailer for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Yoshi's back! And apparently he doesn't suck like he did in Sunshine!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

OH FUCK YES. this is the kind of crap we've been waiting for.

Guys, this is the first time since the original NES that more than one Mario title has ever been made for the same system.

And this one seems to focus on Mario and Yoshi cooperating. LOVE.

And the new Metroid game is definitely going to make me pick up Metroid Prime Trilogy to check that out before the new action game comes out.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Fit Plus, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS, Metroid: Other M, and the mysterious pulse-monitoring peripheral. Not a bad showing for Nintendo, really, although I sure wish they'd launch some new IP again someday.
Fuck yes, people.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The thing I loved about Mario Galaxy was how often it surprised me. With every single stage, the game seemed to take the standard Mario formula and introduce one big clever new gameplay mechanic or design twist. And then the very next stage would chuck it and do something totally different!

I hope Galaxy 2 can keep up that tradition. There certainly are a lot of new ideas in that trailer. Hopefully they have enough to fill an entire game.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I like how Yoshi has a bunch of new moves, like tongue-grapple and inflation. He looks like a major part of the gameplay now, for which I have love.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Also, guys, the Koopalings are back in New Super Mario Bros Wii as the bosses. : )

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

This is all very surprising. Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks very much "expansion pack as sequel", which is a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it, but I expect new ideas and features from a core Mario platform game. The addition of Yoshi looks fun though! It's not exactly a new idea, granted, but it looks as though it will be implemented in a new way.
Zeta wrote:Also, guys, the Koopalings are back in New Super Mario Bros Wii as the bosses. : )

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I'm going to completely undermine my previous comment by getting excited over this!! Whoooooooo! KOOPALINGS!

I wonder if they'll finally be featured alongside Bowser Jr?

It's curious that the Player 3 and 4 slots are taken by a blue Toad and a yellow Toad. Surely the more obvious idea would be Wario and Waluigi, or Peach and Daisy to offer female avatars? Or just Peach and classic Toad for the sake of SMB2/USA nostalgia.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

This is all very surprising. Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks very much "expansion pack as sequel", which is a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it, but I expect new ideas and features from a core Mario platform game. The addition of Yoshi looks fun though! It's not exactly a new idea, granted, but it looks as though it will be implemented in a new way.

Galaxy's ideas and design struck me as having more than enough potential for a sequel. It was very fertile ground to work with. I would have been disappointed if they didn't go back and revisit the concept before moving on to the next setting. I loved it, but for the first video game in a long time - it left me wanting more of the same because everything was done so well and the basic concept was a so good.