Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Re: Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Post by Frieza2000 »

I've always thought it's neat how magic in the Mario world is depicted with geometric shapes. What would you call a person who practices geometry magic? Geomagician would be an earth magic user; the word has to include some part of geo and metria. A...geometrist? Geometrician?

Blount

Post by Blount »

When the PlayStation came out, I actually thought: "Why are the Magikoopas' symbols on the controllers?"

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

Frieza2000 wrote:I've always thought it's neat how magic in the Mario world is depicted with geometric shapes. What would you call a person who practices geometry magic? Geomagician would be an earth magic user; the word has to include some part of geo and metria. A...geometrist? Geometrician?
A Geomancer.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Once, just once, Mario games should have differently themed castles. Like, if you're in Grass Land or whatever, the end castle could be a huge greenhouse with unique traps and enemies.

When you've got the rendering prowess of the Wii, there's really no excuse for limited environments.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:
Frieza2000 wrote:I've always thought it's neat how magic in the Mario world is depicted with geometric shapes. What would you call a person who practices geometry magic? Geomagician would be an earth magic user; the word has to include some part of geo and metria. A...geometrist? Geometrician?
A Geomancer.
That would be somebody who uses earth-based magic (which Frieza mistakenly believed to be a "geomagician").

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Perhaps a thaumaturgic geometer?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Crowbar wrote:
A Geomancer.
That would be somebody who uses earth-based magic (which Frieza mistakenly believed to be a "geomagician").
Could work for either. Geomancer is a person who divines using either geographic features or lines and shapes. But the mancer suffix is derived from manci, which means divination, and we're talking about a broader use of geometry. Now, necromancy has been expanded to include all actions related to commanding the dead, but if we're going to ignore proper Greek/Latin root derivation then we could just call them anything.

What's scary is that I actually find this interesting.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Edgerock wrote:NSMBW Nintendo Power Scans

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/ ... P%20Scans/
This....is the coolest thing Ive seen in what? 17 years? ive lost count, It seems Iggy's hair got dyed Green, looks good I guess, there were 2 multy colored hair kids in the past so why not only keep the "crazy" midgit hair multicolored?..although I think it mightve been better the other way? nah it makes the little one stand out more so its ok!. Still all good! and I like Kamek's return! and ICE FLOWER!

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The use of geometrical shapes in characters, done in Japan, is almost as standard as using giant robots to fight the monster of the week...

And for that ____ who asked how games make money here is one tip: Remakes sell!

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/previ ... 7913#_text

GameTrailers Preview. New footage, explains how exactly Super Guide works, and shows what Larry Koopa sounds like.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

A Geomancer.
A Magebra.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It's dated for May 23.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

My birthday! Still no JP date, though. It probably won't be until a month or two later. :(

I'm going to proclaim that this looks like the best platformer since ever. And I've played most of them.

Blount

Post by Blount »

This is looking fantastic. I loved the original game and I would have been happy enough with just more of the same, but it looks like it'll be much more than that. If anything, it looks extremely imaginative and clever. The first game blew my mind, and I hope this one can do the same. Too bad Yoshi sounds constipated again, though.

New screenshots:

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/super-mar ... 0/#2739470

There's a Delfino Isle galaxy in there.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

So I can guess in the Mario universe, the Koopalings are not Bowser's kin.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

What are you basing that on?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

You know what I noticed the other day? In Mario Galaxy, Mario can only move in the 8 "45 degree" directions. Seriously! His speed may be analog, but his direction is completely digital.

I never once noticed this when I was actually playing through the game. But it makes me wonder if locking Mario into those eight straight paths, and then designing the stages around them, made it a lot easier to make accurate platforming jumps.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I was really disappointed in the first SMG but after the ocular consumption of this trailer I'm actually willing to give this a chance.
I still wish that those tiny circular planets would die a quick and painful death though.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Esrever wrote:You know what I noticed the other day? In Mario Galaxy, Mario can only move in the 8 "45 degree" directions. Seriously! His speed may be analog, but his direction is completely digital.

I never once noticed this when I was actually playing through the game. But it makes me wonder if locking Mario into those eight straight paths, and then designing the stages around them, made it a lot easier to make accurate platforming jumps.
I noticed that too. It is more restrictive, but the camera usually positions itself so that you will rarely need to use more than the standard eight directions. Like you said, it makes platforming jumps a hell of a lot easier, and it prevents you from wandering off the sides in levels like Dreadnought Galaxy. It works surprisingly well.

And now for some boxart:

Looks nice! Yoshi's getting a lot of attention this time, ain't he?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Still looks odd and cramped whenever Mario rides this version of Yoshi!
Esrever wrote:You know what I noticed the other day? In Mario Galaxy, Mario can only move in the 8 "45 degree" directions. Seriously! His speed may be analog, but his direction is completely digital.

Huh. That's brilliant. It certainly works, and yet it's completely unnoticed by most players - just as it should be! You tend to only really think about the controls when you're playing a game with bad controls.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

There were two or three times one of the Bros. just didn't want to turn the direction I wanted to -- this must be why. Still handled like a dream 99.98%, so no complaints from me.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I really do hope that's the final boxart--it looks GORGEOUS. <3

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Blount wrote:Image
UR MI ALY
Shit yes.