Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crowbar

Re: Super Ultra Mario Party Land World Bros. Sunshine Galaxy II

Post by Crowbar »

I like how, after decades of the franchise, only now do they provide an excuse for their being powerups randomly scattered about the levels.

Blount

Post by Blount »

So... was Peach put inside that cake for Bowser's bachelor party?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Crowbar wrote:I like how, after decades of the franchise, only now do they provide an excuse for their being powerups randomly scattered about the levels.
Actually, in SMB it's said that--alongside brick blocks and horsetail grass--power-ups are Mushroom Kingdom citizens warped by Bowser's dark magic.

This brings up unfortunate implications that subsequent installments purposefully neglect.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Toad: "So, Princess, what would you like for your birthday?"

Peach: "Oh, I dunno. A couple hundred magical penguin suits would be nice!"

Toad: " . . . . "

Shame on Mini Mushroom being the last powerup. Are Super Stars even in this game? It would have been nice to see the return of the Hammer Bros Suit, Goomba's Shoe, Blue Shell, and Super Carrot as well.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

I think the red case the game will come in is highly innovative and will change the future of gaming forever.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Zeta wrote:Toad: "So, Princess, what would you like for your birthday?"

Peach: "Oh, I dunno. A couple hundred magical penguin suits would be nice!"

Toad: " . . . . "

Shame on Mini Mushroom being the last powerup. Are Super Stars even in this game? It would have been nice to see the return of the Hammer Bros Suit, Goomba's Shoe, Blue Shell, and Super Carrot as well.
Needs more Cape Feather. Whoosh~

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Well, the reason the Cape Feather, Tanooki Suit, and Raccoon Leaf are out is because you need a huge running start to use them all that would split up a team of players. Hence the replacement with the Propeller Suit.

Really, if you wanted to compare the game to Super Mario Bros 3 and 4:
* Mushroom - Mushroom
* Fireflower - Fireflower
* Cape/Tanuki/Leaf - Propeller Suit
* Frog Suit - Penguin Suit
* Yoshi - Yoshi
* Goomba Shoe - : (
* Hammer Bros Suit - : (
* None - Ice Flower
* None - Mini Mushroom
* Super Star - ????

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

You mean Starmen. And yes, they've shown it in one of the videos already linked.

And the Penguin suit is already the shell in function, plus the ice flower.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I would love to see the Super Carrot come back, if only for the massive nostalgia I hold for SML2.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

What about the long neglected Superball Flower from Super Mario Land?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Superball_Mario

Given that it can collect coins and bounce around the whole screen it would seem ideal for Coin Battle mode. Would definitely need a new lick of paint, mind.

The design tweaks of the Koopalings are a little odd. Iggy's hair is more distinct from Lemmy's now, but less fun, he's also lankier which kind of works. Lemmy now has a little ponytail at the back too? Larry's lost a couple of teeth. The new shell colours are nice though, particularly Ludwig's blue.

Also notice how in the intro the order they face Princess Peach is the order they were thought in Super Mario Bros 3. I get the impression that Bowser Jr will be the eighth boss, rather than the first, unfortunately. It's still odd seeing all eight of them together, though the separation is still there, with Bowser Jr having a Koopa Clown Car instead of a wand and being on top of the cake etc. Still, it's nice to see the issue finally be addressed. I'd always imaged it would go down with the original 7 Koopalings rebelling against their dad for their recent negelect in favour of their new baby brother!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It is pretty obvious Bowser Jr. is the favorite/baby who gets all the attention in the family, followed by Daddy's girl Wendy, I guess.
What about the long neglected Superball Flower from Super Mario Land?
Do I recall incorrectly, or was Mario actually able to ride on the ricocheting superballs? Either way, I agree, but they'd need to come up with an original look to really make it visually distinct and give it a better name (Bubble Mario?)
And the Penguin suit is already the shell in function, plus the ice flower.
Yeah, it's the Frog Suit + Ice Flower + Blue Shell. But since they Ice Flower is separate anyways, I certainly wouldn't have minded separate Blue Shell. At the very least, I WAS dissapointed that the Carrot and Superball weren't in New Super Mario Bros as a legacy callout to the GB Mario games.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I have mixed felling about this... I bet that, when it comes out, I will rent it a few days, then get bored, take out the old Nes out and just play super Mario Bross 3...

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Blue shell was already frog suit; it enabled faster, tighter underwater controls in NSMB.

Also no, the super ball couldn't be ridden.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Blue shell was already frog suit; it enabled faster, tighter underwater controls in NSMB.
Whenever I got the Blue Shell, I would immediately plunge off a cliff and die, and it was only in like 4 stages in the whole game, so I had no idea.
Also no, the super ball couldn't be ridden.
I wish I knew what the hell I was thinking of, then.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

You're probably thinking of the rocks that would fall from the sky in some levels. You had to ride them in order to traverse spikes without being damaged.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Ah, that's it. Thank you. Those were a huge part of accessing hidden crap in later levels.

Still, riding the ball would be a cool power.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

More importantly guys, Red Box! It really does make me want the game even more now. It reminds me of the Intelivision.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Lemme get this straight... The Penguin Suit is like an enhanced Ice Flower, right? Well, could there be an as-of-yet-unknown item that would function like an enhanced Fire Flower? I sure hope so. A new Mario game with the sheer amount of transformations that were available in SMB3 would be great.

Although I'm not pleased at seeing the Mini Mushroom return. Trying to survive while tiny was such a pain in the ass.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

When I played the first time, the mini mushroom almost ruined the whole game for me because - and I still think this criticism highlights an important point - a power "down" is counterintuitive to the whole Mario dynamic. It's fine to need a particular power-up to access a secret area, but those power-ups should be beneficial regardless of whether or not you're trying to find a hidden goodie.

A couple weeks ago I decided to give the game another shot and I figured out you can use the mini mushroom to literally bound unscathed through most of the stage, so it's not totally without merit. But yeah, it's still unecessarily nerve-racking to have to fairy hop three quarters of the way through a stage without taking damage or otherwise, y'know, playing the game to access a hidden warp. Having to beat those bosses in mini form to access worlds 4 and 7 was, not to put too fine a point on it, retarded.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

A couple weeks ago I decided to give the game another shot and I figured out you can use the mini mushroom to literally bound unscathed through most of the stage, so it's not totally without merit.
Miyamoto came out and said that is the main reason for the Mini Mushroom now, it's for expert players to show off by gaining greater speed and jump, mostly.
Lemme get this straight... The Penguin Suit is like an enhanced Ice Flower, right? Well, could there be an as-of-yet-unknown item that would function like an enhanced Fire Flower? I sure hope so. A new Mario game with the sheer amount of transformations that were available in SMB3 would be great.
Actually, I think if you include Yoshi NSB already matches it.

SB3: Super Mushroom, Fireflower, Starman, Super Leaf, Tanuki Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bros Suit, Goomba's Shoe

NSBWii: Super Mushroom, Fireflower, Ice Flower, Starman, Propeller Suit, Penguin Suit, Mini Mushroom, Yoshi

They might throw in the Mega Mushroom for shits and giggles too, but just won't let you keep them in your inventory like the Star Man.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Green Gibbon! wrote:When I played the first time, the mini mushroom almost ruined the whole game for me because - and I still think this criticism highlights an important point - a power "down" is counterintuitive to the whole Mario dynamic. It's fine to need a particular power-up to access a secret area, but those power-ups should be beneficial regardless of whether or not you're trying to find a hidden goodie.

A couple weeks ago I decided to give the game another shot and I figured out you can use the mini mushroom to literally bound unscathed through most of the stage, so it's not totally without merit. But yeah, it's still unecessarily nerve-racking to have to fairy hop three quarters of the way through a stage without taking damage or otherwise, y'know, playing the game to access a hidden warp. Having to beat those bosses in mini form to access worlds 4 and 7 was, not to put too fine a point on it, retarded.
I personally liked the mini mushroom as well as the blue shell. Both added more challenge to the game but at the same time rewarded you with fun variations of the gameplay, a quicker pace, and different experiences. Often I tried beating stages without leaving the blue shell (unless it was impossible to get across something otherwise) which made it harder to navigate and to time jumps, but at the same time you were constantly rolling forwards and through enemies. The mini mushroom on the other hand allowed for huge and otherwise impossible jumps and also enabled you to run across the water, and generally faster than usual. Again while this made the game harder it also added a unique variation of it in which you'd play much differently from how you would otherwise. Both of these power-ups added a lot of replay value to the game methinks.
EDIT: Yeah what Zeta said basically.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

G.Silver wrote:More importantly guys, Red Box! It really does make me want the game even more now. It reminds me of the Intelivision.

See! I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO REALIZES THE GENUIS OF THE RED BOX.

Maybe now we can get a red Wii. :3

Wombatwarlord777

Oh wow. I nearly forgot that the Wii came in other colors than black and white.

I gotta get out of the cave more often...

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Oh wow. I nearly forgot that the Wii came in other colors than black and white.

I gotta get out of the cave more often...
...the Wii is available in black now?

Wombatwarlord777

According to this site, the black Wii has been available in Japan for quite some time.

Its packaging is especially sexy.