4Kids Apologizes?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Hulkshmash

4Kids Apologizes?

Post by Hulkshmash »

From their youtube channel....
Please remember what we posted last week regarding the same types of questions about editing of foreign shows for the US kids audience: 1. all changes were made with the original IP owners approval, 2. yes there were creative changes made to names, plot lines, music (and we're big fans of the Japanese soundtracks) but those we're producers choices - whether you like them or not is a different issue but the US versions of Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sonic X and Kirby are pretty popular, and finally 3. we realize that the originals had interesting themes and ideas plus guns, knives and rice balls

AND THAT'S WHY WE ARE PUSHING to get original versions of these shows out here so you can enjoy them and we believe there is an audience online for them. SUPPORT THIS CHANNEL AND YOU CAN SEE SOME COOL THINGS! Don't forget your Mom this weekend!!

Nameless Cubical Office Guy
Long story short, they realize that people hate them for what they did, and are trying to redeem themselves by uploading the originals of all of the series they screwed up. Also, if the demand seems high enough, they will subtitle them. Personally, I'm interested in watching a decent (if it ever was in the first place, guess I'll find out) version of Sonic X.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Re: 4Kids Apologizes?

Post by K2J »

This might explain why they seem to be outright praising YGO: The Abridged Series in some of their comments...

This is actually the position I've stood by all along. 4Kids, as its name implies, has the job of turning any anime, no matter what its theme, into a Saturday morning cartoon show. Sure, some of the changes might be a little odd, but we're not that audience; children are. It's nice to see that they're finally starting to provide an alternative to that.

Now I might start watching Sonic X, or something. I don't know. Maybe just a few more Deepercutt videos would suffice.

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

K2J wrote:Maybe just a few more Deepercutt videos would suffice.
Oh? YTP has reached even here? Now I feel less unique...
Well at least I have my pride as a YTPMV connoisseur... unless...

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

O_o

This is...unexpected, to say the least. Didn't they try to put out original, uncut versions of Yu-Gi-Oh on DVD a while back only to cancel it after DVD #2 or something?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

K2J wrote:Maybe just a few more Deepercutt videos would suffice.
But Deepercutt's a total mess, and we all know it...

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

What part of '4 kids' do adult males not understand?

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

Kogen wrote:What part of '4 kids' do adult males not understand?
...The number.

It might be the number.

:3

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

Kogen wrote:What part of '4 kids' do adult males not understand?
The part that doesn't allow other companies to dub the series they mutilate.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Kogen wrote:'4 kids'
Nameless Cubical Office Guy wrote:[...] the originals had interesting themes and ideas plus guns, knives and rice balls
Yep, nothing wrong with that.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Well rice balls are disgusting and full of estrogen. I do not want my kids turning into transvestites.

The Turtle Guy
Now Playing: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Again (the game, not the adverb)

Post by The Turtle Guy »

Don't forget your Mom this weekend!!

...What?

Bastards.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Hrm, no word about One Piece. Either it's because FUNimation got the rights, or they simply don't want to touch THAT.
It's going to take years before you can properly apologize for this, Mr. Nameless Cubical Office Guy.

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Hrm, no word about One Piece.
Funimation owns all american rights to One Piece right now, so I wouldn't expect them to do anything with it (not to mention it's too violent for that youtube channel). FUNimation's doing a fine job fixing what 4kids broke as it is, so I'm fine with that.

Plus it's not all that hard to find high quality subtitled japanese episodes of one piece.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

While i'm of the opinon that Sonic X is shit no matter what language it's in, it would be nice to hear the original score and not have those irritating voices.

But i'd rather have this on DVD than as an internet-only deal.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

cjmcray wrote:While i'm of the opinon that Sonic X is shit no matter what language it's in, it would be nice to hear the original score and not have those irritating voices.
I actually found the 3rd season bizarrely enjoyable, despite being forced to watch it dubbed, and the continued and utterly redundant presence of Chris.
I don't know if I could be bothered to rewatch it all in Japanese, though.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Did...did they even AIR the Metarex Chapter of Sonic X in Japan (or release it to DVD, even)? I was never able to find any torrents of it apart from the first episode of that season...

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Did...did they even AIR the Metarex Chapter of Sonic X in Japan (or release it to DVD, even)? I was never able to find any torrents of it apart from the first episode of that season...
Neither. As I understand it, official jap versions of every 2nd series-episode exist, but they've never been seen or released outside of chinese bootleg DVDs.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Correction: Taiwanese VCDs.

And according to Chibigoku, a while back there were (or still are) some fans in japan campaigning to boost awareness of the 2nd series in the hope of an official release.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Hulkshmash wrote:
Brazillian Cara wrote:Hrm, no word about One Piece.
Funimation owns all american rights to One Piece right now, so I wouldn't expect them to do anything with it (not to mention it's too violent for that youtube channel). FUNimation's doing a fine job fixing what 4kids broke as it is, so I'm fine with that.

Plus it's not all that hard to find high quality subtitled japanese episodes of one piece.
Especially with FUNimation starting a simulcast soon.
Starting Saturday, May 30th at 9:00 p.m. CDT, just one hour after airing in Japan, FUNimation and the consortium will stream the first, free, professionally-produced, accurately English-subtitled One Piece series episode beginning with episode 403 via the official One Piece website http://www.onepieceofficial.com followed soon thereafter by FUNimation partner sites.

Each new episode of the current season will be rolled out weekly as One Piece continues its Japanese television run.

In addition, beginning Thursday, May 14th FUNimation will stream episodes from the Sabaody Archipelago Saga story arc starting with episode 391. FUNimation will also offer both its produced uncut, English-tracked and English-subtitled adaptations of the hugely successful series beginning with the first episode.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I only saw Sonic X 4kids version once, the spanish version was translated from that version, instead of the french that was directly translated from the japanese, but I saw the complete series in the original version, and I liked it, I hadn't a clue what were they talking about but it wasn't as horrible as it was translated, with cartoony sounds in every scene and totally changed music, the first chapter with that F-1 like car race had a pretty good music in the japanese version, it was totally changed in the american. I bought some non official DVD with English subtitles and was enough for me (sadly those subs looked like they were google-translated from the chinese ones lol)

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The Japanese version of 53-78 were released on DVD. Fansubs currently use the French translation. A year ago someone started creating a sub from the Japanese directly, but it doesn't seem to have gotten very far.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Frieza2000 wrote:The Japanese version of 53-78 were released on DVD. Fansubs currently use the French translation. A year ago someone started creating a sub from the Japanese directly, but it doesn't seem to have gotten very far.
Yes, unfortunately it seems that when the chief audience for a show is 14-year-olds, fansubbing tends not to go too well.