Silver and Gold have I some

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Silver and Gold have I some

Post by K2J »

We're a week away from what looks to be a really, really obvious confirmation of the Pokémon Gold and Silver remakes.

The live action "variety show" that's all about those Pocket Monsters - Pokémon Sunday - recently announced that next week, there'll be a major game announcement on the show. Given that Coro Coro and Nintendo Dream have also been alluding to a "much-talked-about big title", this would be enough to set speculations onto the G/S remakes. But that's not enough for me to make a thread here. This is:

The most recent episode previewed the annnouncement (sic), showing two balls, one gold and one silver, which will be opened to unveil the announcement's subject.
Source. This is so obvious. If it turns out to be a wrong prediction, it will be one of the most massive trolls I've felt in my whole life. There's been so many allusions, such as the fact that, in D/P/P's coding, there exists the possibility for a Mon to have its origin set at "Johto".

Now if (and this is still speculation) a G/S remake is made, they'll have plenty of reasons to do so. Of course, there's the fan call for it, but it also makes sense in light of the DSi's release - it could potentially make it so you don't need any of the GBA games, or, more importantly, the Gamecube games. There's also a mysterious comment Oak makes about the white rock in D/P/P, and how there's a similar one in Kanto, when we've yet to see such a rock. You can see the whole shebang on fan speculation and reasoning here. Of course, for extra content, we have the obvious - new areas, and new subplots, probably involving Team Rocket. I'd personally like to see the area north of Kanto/Johto.

What do you all think? Is this going to happen? Do you want it to happen? I realize the formula is getting pretty stale, but before we totally revamp the series for Generation V, I'd like to at least have my chance to fight Lance again (I never beat him in Gold due to some stupidity about saving during the E4 totally unprepared).

Yami CJMErl

Re: Silver and Gold have I some

Post by Yami CJMErl »

PROTIP: The White Rock in Sinnoh is used in conjunction with the Oak's Letter Key Item. It allows you to catch Shaymin in-game (as opposed to a Mystery Gift download like Toys 'R Us had recently). (of course, you might already know this)

Personally, I WOULD like this to happen--the Generation II games are some of my favorite Pokemon games (edged out barely by Platinum). Hell, I STILL have my old Gold and Crystal Versions in a tin with some other old Game Boy games in my basement. And with the DSi canceling out Pal Park, it WOULD be recommended.

Of course, if the Platinum Player's Guide I have is accurate, the only 'Mons you'd actually NEED the Pal Park function for (not counting the Colloseum/XD mons) are each region's Starter Pokemon (and their evolutions) and their respective Legendaries (save for the Bird Trio, they're in Platinum). Basically, that means:

> Bulbasaur - Ivysaur - Venusaur
> Squirtle - Wartortle - Blastoise
> Charmander - Charmeleon - Charizard
> Mewtwo
> Mew
> Chikorita - Bayleef - Meganium
> Cyndaquil - Quilava - Typhlosion
> Totodile - Croconaw - Feraligatr
> Raikou
> Entei
> Suicune
> Ho-Oh
> Lugia
> Celebi
> Treecko - Grovyle - Sceptile
> Torchic - Combusken - Blaziken
> Mudkip - Marshtomp - Swampert
> Latios
> Latias
> Groudon
> Kyogre
> Rayquaza
> Jirachi
> Deoxys

Any and every other Pokemon can be had in-game (through various methods, of course--point is, GBA's not as necessary as we think).

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The thing I'm upset about is that obviously this means we'll be getting a set of remakes for every new Pokemon game from now on. When the fifth set comes out, we'll be getting remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, and anyone who thinks that won't happen because Gold and Silver were some sort of magical games of love made just for them that need to be preserved forever is a moron.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I didn't really like the Red/Blue remakes to begin with, so.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I wouldn't put a Ruby/Sapphire remake past them, but with Gold/Silver there is the issue of needing games outside of the portables for Johto Pokes, and the older GB games being technologically incompatible with newer ones. With the DSi killing GBA compatibility though, they may have another excuse.

Personally, I'm excited, assuming this isn't some twisted cocktease. The GSC trio is my favorite generation, even though DPPt comes close to toppling that. When they took away/neutered some of Gen II features in the GBA games, combined with the fact I had to leave all my old Pokemon behind, I didn't have enough interest to even get all the badges in my copy of Ruby(plus some of the new Pokemon designs just weren't as enduring. Grumpig anyone?). It wasn't until the DS entries brought some of the stuff back and built upon GS ideas(That crazy Cell-Phone Internet Tower basically doing what the Wi-Fi Tower does now) that I really got back into the games.

But man alive, they need to make a proper successor to the Stadium games. They were perfect complements to the portable entries. Even the GC games were kinda cool in that they tried to shake up the formula a bit. This Pokemon Ranch and Battle Revolution stuff is so gimped. I know they sell anyway, but still.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Dash wrote:But man alive, they need to make a proper successor to the Stadium games.
I can't quite pinpoint what the difference between Battle Revolution and Stadium - is it just not as cheery? Is it the lack of minigames? I mean, I feel it too, but it's hard to quantize why Stadium succeeded over the more recent entries.

Oh wait.
Stadium wrote:Developer: HAL Labs

Producer: Satoru Iwata
Producer: Shigeru Miyamoto
Stadium 2 wrote:Developer: HAL Labs

Producer: Shigeru Miyamoto
The non-N64 console Pokémon just feels different, for some reason. Heck, the non vertically-oriented GameBoy Pokémon feels different, too, but I don't think it's as bad.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

This would be sweet. I really dug Gold and Silver and thought it was crazy that so many of its best features were dropped in the GBA games. Its only major flaw was the low difficulty level of the main story, even with the extra segment taken into account. Hopefully the remakes will have more 1 player longevity.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

This is just the fan in me talking, but I hope they expand Kanto quest a bit... Maybe some sort of functional Safari Zone. Of course, it'd be hard to add too much without the game feeling like Pokemon Gold and Silver + Red and Blue.

But yeah, awesome news.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I just started Platinum, but before that Gold was the last one I played, so I'm pretty stoked for this. I was really hoping this would be true after finding out the G/S/C starter Pokemon were showing up in the newest movie.

But man, G/S/C just felt like the perfect sequel to me at the time. Most of the new Pokemon were pretty cool, the pokegear and the day/night system were awesome, breeding, shiny Pokemon, Steel and Dark types....... I think I almost shit a brick when I found out you could go back to Kanto when you're done.
Crazy Penguin wrote:Its only major flaw was the low difficulty level of the main story, even with the extra segment taken into account. Hopefully the remakes will have more 1 player longevity.
This. I can remember the Elite 4 posing a challenge in the R/B, but I totally creamed them in G/S.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I still go back to play G/S now and then. It was my favorite entry, and then Ruby/Sapphire killed any interest I had in the series. I just can't get into a game that has more than two-hundred and fifty(-one) Pokemon.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Gold and Silver were the reasons I gave up on the series...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I can say without doubt that my favorite generation so far was the third one; being the first one I played without checking a walkthrough (the lack of spoilers made the story more interesting than it should), and the one I started to play right certainly helped (and many of the creatures were cool, too).

The GS remakes look interesting, but I have no intention of getting them - it's a matter of pride for me to spend money with only one out of three/five main pokémon games per generation.

Neo

Post by Neo »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:Gold and Silver were the reasons I gave up on the series...
lol

(a more constructive reply: You "gave up" on a series after the first game? I'm not sure that would qualify as even getting into it.)

Pokémon Gold and Silver are by far the best in the series so far, so I'm anxious to see what they come up with. FireRed/LeafGreen was awesome and certainly everything I ever hoped for -- and single-handedly got me back into the series (oh god now I'm doing it) -- so I hope they don't fuck this one up. Diamond/Pearl was certainly a fair bit disappointing, especially after seeing how better Platinum looks.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

As for me, my favourite Pokémon game is Emerald. I never got into Gold, although I was a bit younger back then and apparently unable to beat the elite 4 without Missingno. and its magic, and then I just couldn't have been bothered to replay it knowing that whatever I do would be useless due to lack of compatibility to the GBA games.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Neo wrote:FireRed/LeafGreen was awesome
I don't know, didn't it feel like those games backed off on the difficulty a little too much? The Brock fight for instance - suprisingly fierce in the originals (for good reason, to motivate you to get better), stupidly tame in the remakes. Compare.

Fortunately, since these remakes will inevitably run on the DPP engine, I have hope it won't be a repeat of that...i've only beaten two of them in Platinum so this just what i've heard, but the newest leaders seem to be very able to cover their weaknesses and execute a sound strategy.

Neo

Post by Neo »

FlashTHD wrote:I don't know, didn't it feel like those games backed off on the difficulty a little too much? The Brock fight for instance - suprisingly fierce in the originals (for good reason, to motivate you to get better), stupidly tame in the remakes. Compare.
He has a Lv.12 Geodude and a Lv.14 Onix in both versions. Am I missing something?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

And his Onix actually knows a Rock-type move in the FireRedLeafGreen version, which means he actually has an effective attack.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Charmander learns Metal Claw though. No more hardcore, manly Ember spamming. :(

Neo

Post by Neo »

P.P.A. wrote:Charmander learns Metal Claw though. No more hardcore, manly Ember spamming. :(
Charmander doesn't learn Metal Claw until level 13, though. You're still grinding

(Of course if you go against what the game teaches you and just use a single Poké all the way (your starter, most likely), the game is OHKO after OHKO and you finish it up with a Lv.84 Blarizaur. This is probably true for all the games in the series.)

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:And his Onix actually knows a Rock-type move in the FireRedLeafGreen version, which means he actually has an effective attack.
Yyyyeah, an "effective", wimpy Rock attack with 80% accuracy, which oooh slows you down? Weaksauce next to RBY Onix, who will (if you can't drop it with its' weaknesses) Screech to soften you up, then Tackle to pummel you, trap you for 2-5 turns of damage with Bind, or even Bide to hopefully trick the unwise/unlucky into a cheesy KO. Deeply flawed alright, but thought-out.

Or perhaps a better comparison, in FRLG he has a stock Onix with nothing special but his signature TM slapped on. Blah.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Follow-up: Ok maybe that second comparison isn't so good. But, now that I checked, it appears Brock had a 'sharked Onix that's not supposed to know Bind that early. Scandalous! Still, I appreciate the effort.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wow, Pokemon used to be so limited - most only learned about 7 moves leveling up. Now each Pokemon has about 20 moves it learns on its own.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Official, but the names...ewww.

Neo

Post by Neo »

FlashTHD wrote:Follow-up: Ok maybe that second comparison isn't so good. But, now that I checked, it appears Brock had a 'sharked Onix that's not supposed to know Bind that early. Scandalous!
Don't burn him just yet! He might've just bred-- oh

It's official. Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver are heading to the DS this Fall in Japan. Consider me psyched and eagerly awaiting the first batch of screenshots and bullet points.

And I know Flash stole my post. I don't care. Mine is longer

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Well they make a bit more sense, I guess, but I just suspect with those DuskGold/DawnSilver trademarks from a while back, that someone's aware the names might not sit that well abroad...