Silver and Gold have I some

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Re: Silver and Gold have I some

Post by plasticwingsband »

I think you need to learn not to take everything at face value. It's all just opinions, man... that's what the internet's for!

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I thought it was an explicit rule on this forum that you don't need to (and shouldn't) say, "in my opinion". It's assumed.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Going back a bit, I'm a bit pissed off that Professor Oak only gives you the starters once you've already beaten the game. What does he expect me to use a level 5 Bulbasaur for? (Answer: breed the fuck out of it and sell its babies on the GTS, but that's besides the point.) It would be nice if you could pick which set of starters you got at the beginning of the game, as a kind of New Game + option. I mean, now that they've ditched the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality, I'm sure it's well within their capabilities to enable a second save slot, even if it costs them a few sales from their hardcore fans who've been buying several cartridges in order to complete their Pokedex. Haha just kidding, it's never going to happen.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Incidentally, there is a second save slot. The game keeps a backup at least one step beyond when you last saved in the event you corrupt a save by shutting the game off early or something.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I always liked Totodile because it evolved into a semi-expy of Godzilla. I even taught my old Gold Version one Hyper Beam for the similarity.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Call me a dumb little kid, but I usually lean towards the reptilian/dinosaur-y things when it comes to Pokemon designs. Charmander, Totodile, and Treeko were starter picks for me. I don't mind that they aren't ALL super magical unique creatures, considering some sorta just fill in the animal equivalence gap(Miltank for example). However there's a limit(Grumpig sucks the big one). Zeta's got a point though; Viewing all the designs(and games for that matter) through nostalgia goggles is something of a common occurrence. All the games have good and iffy creature designs. I just dislike when they get too busy and inorganic looking. There's a reason Digimon is stupid.

BTW SoulSilver is kickin'.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

HeartGold>SoulSilver, though HeartGold doesn't have Vulpix which is unfortunate. Though I too actually started with both Charmander and Totodile. They have simple enough designs and I always thought their final forms were cool.

Even though I don't agree with that video, since Gold/Silver were huge improvements in my eyes, I did find the "Ditto used for sex" and "How the hell do you pronounce Suicune?" lines sort of funny.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I haven't played a Pokémon game since Yellow and Blue, but to be honest, if I had absolutely no damn clue as to the usefulness of the various 'mons and had to choose randomly from the starters, I'd probably go for the cutest. Ergo, if I got HG/SS, I'd probably opt for Chikorita or Cyndaquil over the goofy, rather ugly Totodile. Of course, if I knew Totodile would give me a good statistical advantage for the first couple of gym fights, like how Squirtle was godlike against Brock in Blue, I might reconsider...

Dash

Post by Dash »

Shadow Hog wrote:I'd probably go for the cutest. Ergo, if I got HG/SS, I'd probably opt for Chikorita or Cyndaquil over the goofy, rather ugly Totodile.
*shatter* Did you hear that? It was my heart=(

But yeah Totodile is statistically the best starter, especially in 4th Gen. He's got a pretty good movepool that can kill some difficult stuff later on. But really, just go with your favorite. Keep in mind though, the roles are reversed from Red and Blue: Fire is now easy street, while Grass is the hard road.

Neo

Post by Neo »

It's actually ridiculous how all the Gen. II starters are all so appealing. I could never make my mind up about them! Ended up picking Cyndaquil because the fire element was the most lacking in my team (which, for the first time ever, I plotted out in advance). I feel Generation I is very subjective to taste, but all the Gen. III ones are simply ghastly! The only one that's even remotely appealing is Torchic, but of course they ruin it with the evolutions. They headed back in the right direction again with Gen. IV, but they still feel a bit bland. And Empoleon is ugly as fuck.

K2J

Post by K2J »

If you care for such things, there's a Wi-Fi Mystery Gift going on right now (access from startup menu) that gets you a new Pokéwalker Route that has nothing but Pikachu in it. The catch is that the two rarest encounters have Surf or Fly when you catch them.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

I've logged a shitload of hours into Sapphire over the last few days. I forgot how damn engrossing these games could be.

My current team:

Lv. 33 Grovyle, "Oskar" (m)
Lv. 32 Mightyena, "Raksha" (f)
Lv. 32 Trapinch, "Lagi" (m)
Lv. 32 Skarmory, "Roc" (m)
Lv. 30 Azumarill, "Bleu" (m)
Lv. 26 Linoone, "Ramirez" (m) [my HM slave]

Can't wait 'til I can catch a Vulpix! I think i need to add another lady to my team, and I don't really have a decent Fire-type, so that's what I've got my sights on next.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

K2J wrote:If you care for such things, there's a Wi-Fi Mystery Gift going on right now (access from startup menu) that gets you a new Pokéwalker Route that has nothing but Pikachu in it. The catch is that the two rarest encounters have Surf or Fly when you catch them.
Wait, Fly?!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Crowbar wrote:
K2J wrote:If you care for such things, there's a Wi-Fi Mystery Gift going on right now (access from startup menu) that gets you a new Pokéwalker Route that has nothing but Pikachu in it. The catch is that the two rarest encounters have Surf or Fly when you catch them.
Wait, Fly?!
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _Promo_25) :p

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Flying and Surfing Pikachu are a bit stupid, but surfing Raichu is radass. It uses its own tail as a surfboard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLG6HgFC ... re=related

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Yeah, I know about that one, even had my own surfing Raichu.

I find it amusing how they made an animation for that, when you're not supposed to be able to evolve the one Pikachu you could get with Surf at the time.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Trade it over to Red/Blue, evolve, presto.

Also, I'm finding it annoying I can't tell which Pikachu is which when its in the Pokéwalker. I would think they'd at least have a level indicator.