Oboro Muramasa

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Oboro Muramasa

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I do not like Vanillaware's games, at least not since the original Princess Crown, and even that I had issues with. Yet despite all my better judgment, I somehow ended up at one of the local game shops today (the one near Mos Burger, which I unsuccessfully tried to convince myself was the main reason I stopped there) and walked out with a game I couldn't afford.

So, here's the issue.

I've been sitting in front of my TV staring at the start menu for the past ten minutes. I am given two options: action mode or not-quite-action mode.

God dammit.

In the highly unlikely event that anyone else has this, can someone please tell me what the differences are? I'm not gonna have the patience to play through both, and if I get far enough into one and decide I don't like it, I won't feel like starting over with the other.

Or it could be, as I suspect, that neither mode is really complete or satisfying which is why they felt compelled to tack on another.

God dammit.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Re: Oboro Muramasa

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Okay, it's not a one-time decision, you can change anytime (except during combat).

I can't for the life of me tell what the difference is.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Do they still serve the Spicy Cheese Mos Burger?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What the fuck are you talking about

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

If you don't want it, send it to me.

I'm so fucking serious about this you don't even know

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

muramasa came out?!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I KNOW I read about this somewhere before...I think one's for, like, "level-up" or something, and the other's for "A God Am I" or some crap, I honestly can't remeber.

But other than that, how is the game? Is it really as awesome as previews say it is?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Fuck, i can't buy a wii to play this game because I'm saving for a trip to japan. overall it's a good trade but I actually loved vanilla wares other games. Odin Sphere was such the good game, the creators made you beat the exact same game 5 different times. I also got this bad ass figure of Gwendolyn, which looking back I should have saved it for my wii.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've only played as far as the first boss, but if you've played any other Vanillaware game ever, you should know what to expect. Slash, eat, slash, eat, slash, eat, etc. Combat is a bit faster and smoother so it comes off like Devil May Cry 2D, but I can see it getting really repetitive really fast.

It is pretty - this strange paper cut-out animation that I thought was really awkward and jerky in Odin Sphere has improved. It looks more natural and of course the backdrops are insanely rich, but the sets are very small. Pass one screen and walk into the next screen that is completely identical except for the placement of collectibles. It would be nice if this were on a console that actually supported HD, but even as it is I can already see indexed color compression in the backgrounds.
Do they still serve the Spicy Cheese Mos Burger?
I think that must be long gone, but unless it's any better than their regular cheeseburgers, good riddance. I think Mos burgers are only palatable when they're slathered in sloppy sauce like the regular Mos Burger or the teriyaki burger. Are the hot dogs any good?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

wikipedia wrote:The game can be played in two modes: Unmatched (Musō?) Mode and Carnage (Shura?) Mode. Unmatched Mode focuses on character leveling as opposed to action, whereas Carnage Mode is more action based, recommended for skilled player.
This game actually looks like a lot of fun. It's fairly hard to find a new copy of Odin Sphere around these parts, so I'll scoop this one up if it gets a European release.

aso

Post by aso »

The all important question for me is whether or not there's any slowdown.

Given that their game's running on more powerful hardware, now, there shouldn't be an issue... right?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I haven't noticed any slowdown, but I'm still in the early stages.

Was slowdown a problem in Odin Sphere? I didn't get too far into that one.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

The slowdown was certainly there, though it's only really a problem during the fight against Odette, which is a shame, as it's one of the game's more climatic moments. I mean, look at this shit.

Also, you should be giving daily reports on your experience with the game. Everything right down to the very last detail. And I'll savor it all, petal by petal, until you are completely nude. What are you even doing in Japan, anyway? Is this some sort of slave trade deal? I can get you out of there if the price is right.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Well, there are lots of boobies. Big, highly animated boobies. Sometimes it's difficult to pay attention to the rest of the art. And hot springs.

It's much faster paced than Princess or Odin, but it is a hack & slash. As shallow and repetitive as it is, though, it's kind of compelling and I don't really know why. I think it might actually be because it's breathtaking. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be playing it otherwise. It's really atmospheric. And the music is sublime. And you can cook. And eat.

At any rate, I didn't like Odin Sphere, but I'm kind of digging this for reasons I have yet to ascertain.

Ninjas with bombs are the worst kinds of ninjas.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Though I'd let the popeles know I found a pair of wallpapers about the game here and here.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

fffffffffffffffffffff