Blue blue skies, I see?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Blue blue skies, I see?

Post by FlashTHD »

What we have here is an upcoming "anniversary" soundtrack collection from what seems to be every version of Daytona USA and its' sequel, published by Wavemaster. In addition to maybe being the first significant thing Sega's done in eight fuckin' years with the words "Daytona" and "USA" together, is it too wrong to think there's some hidden implication to this happening? As in, Sega and the International Speedway Corp. having been on agreeable terms recently? I had almost been convinced the rights to the Daytona name were hands-off until NASCAR allowed their exclusitivity deal with EA to lapse (there've been rumblings that they will).

Either way, sounds like a slick CD(s), but for us at least, prepare to cough it up.

Sort of related: the weird "retirement" saga of Yu Suzuki stretches on.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: Blue blue skies, I see?

Post by Green Gibbon! »

NASCAR also had an exclusivity deal with EA? I didn't know that. I thought it was just NFL. Any others?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Wikipedia wrote:In 2003 EA purchased the license to NASCAR for 6 years, ending competition from Papyrus and Infogrames.

(protip: Papyrus in particular was really turning up the heat towards the end - I hear their last sim is so accurate that teams kept using it for years for virtual testing, until the ugly ass new car became mandatory)

On December 13, 2004, EA Sports signed an exclusive deal with the NFL and its Players' Union for 5 years. On February 12, 2008, EA Sports announced the extension of its exclusive deal until the 2012 NFL season.

Less than a month after the NFL Exclusive deal, EA SPORTS signed a 4-year exclusive deal with the Arena Football League.

On April 11, 2005, the NCAA and EA Sports signed a deal to grant EA Sports the sole rights to produce college football games for six years.

EA lost the rights for MLB games to 2K Sports in 2005, ending EA's MVP series; however EA has made NCAA Baseball games annually since losing the MLB license.

In 2005, EA Sports and ESPN signed a massive 15-year deal for ESPN to be integrated into EA Sports video games. EA's use of the ESPN license has steadily increased over the early life of the deal. EA's early usage of the ESPN license began with ESPN Radio and a sports ticker in titles like Madden NFL, NBA Live, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and NCAA Baseball and Football. The ESPN integration now includes streaming podcasts, text articles (including content only available previously to ESPN Insider subscribers), and ESPN Motion video (including such programs as Pardon The Interruption).

In January 2008, EA Sports decided not to renew their NCAA College Baseball license while they evaluate the status of their MVP game engine.
The apparent conflict of interest is that NASCAR's France family runs ISC too. The Daytona Int'l Speedway didn't show up in EA's sims until the '01 edition, which is right about the time Daytona 2001 hit the Dreamcast. I don't remember where I read it - some european gaming blog - but I think there was a whole lot of publishing finangling that had to happen to even get that game in the states, to the point where Hasbro Interactive co-published it when it finally did (and europe was SOL).

Among other reasons, if Daytona's been held up all this time by the contract, it sure looks like it fits.

And in a mega lucky break, Toshihiro Nagoishi is still with Sega. Say what you will about Yakuza but you can't scrape up much better cause for optimism than that.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

This development has made my asshole so moist. It's like I'm gonna burst, man. Mitsuyoshi's vocals are the sort of thing that drive women to madness and they are like ambrosia to me.
FlashTHD wrote:In addition to maybe being the first significant thing Sega's done in eight fuckin' years with the words "Daytona" and "USA" together, is it too wrong to think there's some hidden implication to this happening?
Sort of, yeah, but for entirely different reasons. With the racer market saturated with such titles as Need 4 Speed: Ghetto Nitrous Edition, I shudder to think of what sort of overhaul the franchise would have to undergo to be commercially viable in today's market, as I think we've all seen enough paradigm shifts from Sega to, you know, never want to see anything of the sort ever again.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Uh, didn't EA put a temporary stop to Need for Speed because (such a suprise) every 50 Ghetto Nitrous Editions they were putting out yearly weren't selling?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Small miracles, etc.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

The only interesting bit is that they are using the name. I doubt a game is in production. They released lots of classic soundtracks like this.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

FlashTHD wrote:Uh, didn't EA put a temporary stop to Need for Speed because (such a suprise) every 50 Ghetto Nitrous Editions they were putting out yearly weren't selling?
They announced that and then I saw an article saying they were planning 3 games for this year. One for PS360, one for Wii/PSP(?), and one for DS. I think it was in Game Informer that I saw it.

Last time I went to the video store, there were 3 different current-gen Need for Speeds and I had no idea which one was the newest or what differences each one had. I read that last year's model had RPG elements... which I can't imagine working very well for a racing game, although I have to give them kudos for trying something new.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

What is Takenobu Mitsuyoshi doing these days, anyway?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Horse racing soundtracks.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Seriously? For who?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

SEGA/AM3/Hitmaker.

Does football game soundtracks too, apparently. Also by AM3.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Seriously? For who?
Why, Sega of course.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

What games? I'd kind of like to hear what he's been doing.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVMfpCmgowU&NR=1

And World Club Champion Football. I do not see any music in it, though.

Edit: Actually wikipedia says they played his music from the Football game at the video game concert thing in Germany. No idea where to find that, though.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

FlashTHD wrote:
Green Gibbon! wrote:Seriously? For who?
Why, Sega of course.
The fuck is this sh-

Actually, there seems to be a whole smattering of secrets I never thought to search for. The mention of the dancing "Jeffry" statue is particularly interesting- that wouldn't happen to be the same Jeffrey of VF2 fame, would it? Because I never saw anything of the sort and it'd be absurdly cool if it was. This is just cause for me to break out the Saturn one last time.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

How can you miss the Jeffry statue? It's not hidden or anything, it's right on the track. I don't remember any "dancing" tricks, but I'm pretty sure there was a way to turn the statue upside-down.

Also, the horse has no traction whatsoever. It's like racing on ice.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Ritz wrote:With the racer market saturated with such titles as Need 4 Speed: Ghetto Nitrous Edition
Who cares 'bout those, when you can have this?
gr4yJ4Y wrote:They announced that and then I saw an article saying they were planning 3 games for this year. One for PS360, one for Wii/PSP(?), and one for DS. I think it was in Game Informer that I saw it.
Almost there. There's one for PS3/PSP/Windows/360/Cellphones (beats me why people think of the iPhone as something other than a brand-specific cellphone), another for DS and Wii, and yet another PC one (the MMOG).

So yeah, perhaps Ritz does have a point... besides anal moisture.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Stock car racing game. Ringwide arcade board. AM2. Hornet. BLUE BLUE SKIES, I SEE.

My first thought was, could be Daytona 3 under a new name, due to the ISC suddenly not giving up naming rights for some reason, though good luck including all that music with lyrics shouting DAYTOOOONAAAAA if so. So, something a little stranger with an all-star flavor...?

(those are some oooooooold looking NASCAR stock cars BTW)

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

Maybe some sort of arcade equivalent to All-Stars Racing - a mash-up of Daytona, Sega Rally, Scud Race et al? I dunno, I'm mainly guessing off the "Classic" bit of the title.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

SEGA Touring Car better be in there. He is my favourite generic-car character.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

And now, deflate: It's merely an HD(?) remake of the original Daytona...

* 32″ Hi-Def LCD Widescreen
* 1280 x 720 Resolution
* Force Feedback Steering
* Link up to 4 Cabinets
* Eye Catching Cabinet
* New Billboard Leader Display
* Color changing LED Cabinet lights
* Classic Gameplay
...yet still has the original music? Now i'm almost more interested in how tangled up the licensing rights are with Sega and ISC.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Meanwhile, a NeoGAF forumer did this slick Hornet remake in Forza 3, using what looks like a 2007 NASCAR Sprint Cup car. Neat.

friend2chaos
Now Playing: linux partition musical chairs

Post by friend2chaos »

I would love a DAAAAYTOOOOONAAAAAA ringer on my phone, but Tracfone is sorta gay.

Not completely gay, because it does not care about the color scheme of my curtains nor does it hold Tori Amos in a high regard.

But it's still content-locked. And thus cock blocked. Hot and spicy Jun Senoue Daytona cock.

It vibrates though.

bzt bzt ^^

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

friend2chaos wrote:bzt bzt ^^
Lurk more.