They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Re: They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

That's...a frighteningly accurate outline of most of the episodes, Zeta.

There were still some parts of Ren and Stimpy I really liked, and others I really hated. Still, I didn't feel all too bad for John K. when he got fired from his own creation. (Even his fellow colleagues thought he got what was coming to him.) I'd rather watch it than most of the garbage that made up most of 1980's television animation, and a whole chunk of Tiny Toons.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:(Even his fellow colleagues thought he got what was coming to him.)
Source?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Scroll down to the picture of Ren & Stimpy for Billy West's take, at least..

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/06/15/billy ... interview/

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I just want to clarify, here; I fucking love Ren & Stimpy. It's John K I have issues with.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

That's a pathetically fallacious way to criticise anything. You can break down pretty much any show in that format to make it seem crap.

Ren & Stimpy just simply isn't only about scat and gay jokes (the latter of which aren't even that prevalent in the original seasons), the wacky faces aren't only wacky. Scoff if you will but there is more to the acting, writing, and characterisation than you're prepared to give credit for. You just don't seem to be able to look past the surface aspects.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
j-man wrote:As for John K? He really complains about "false" morality in modern animation? Have you seen the disgusting shit he comes up with when left to his own devices? That guy wouldn't know morality if it came in his face. Christ, Ren and Stimpy should've died with Nickelodeon. Farts are always funny, but boobies have kind of lost their novelty, pre-pubescent giggle appeal. That guy needs to seriously whack off before he makes his cartoons, or just straight up declare himself a furry (watch the Tenacious D video for "Classico" at your peril).
Yeah, hard to take a guy seriously about the decline in animation quality when he's made a career out of fart joke cartoons.
Yeah, and I wouldn't really pay any mind to some random Japanese molester, but he did produce two of the best (if not the best two) 3D action brawlers in existence and also happens to whine about how most of today's Japanese game developers are a bunch of lazy fucks, so...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Mind you, there were a couple of episodes I did like, but only the ones that broke significantly from the formula - the one that stands out in my mind is the first Space Cadet Short. That was the only episode I could remember actually loving, and I was pretty disappointed that the whole show didn't have that premise - a more fucked up version of Duck Dodgers, instead of what the show normally was.
Yeah, and I wouldn't really pay any mind to some random Japanese molester, but he did produce two of the best (if not the best two) 3D action brawlers in existence and also happens to whine about how most of today's Japanese game developers are a bunch of lazy fucks, so...
Dead or Alive is two clicks away from being Battle Raper.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ren & Stimpy was cool in the past decade, like Sonic, no one has any idea of how to make it cool again, like Sonic, they are in hands of idiots, like Sonic...

Now i just pity Ren & Stimpy-_-

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

You really shouldn't. Ren and Stimpy's time has come and passed, but it was a hilarious show (especially under John K.'s direction, despite whatever else might be said against him). I can't help but to think that if the show were still on the air, it would've grown old and stale seasons ago, like The Simpsons.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I liked him better when he was reined in a little by studio pressure, and had to come up with creative ways to be off-colour while narrowly avoiding censorship. There's a difference between pushing the envelope and pushing it up someone's arsehole.

Did Rubber Nipple Salesmen ever actually get aired? The walrus at the end of that sketch is one of the funniest things I've seen in animation. Nick let him get away with a surprising amount, so it'd be a shame if one of the crowning moments of the show never actually made it on the box.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:You really shouldn't
I was talking about the "Revival" they did some time ago... it ruined many of my childhold memories of Ren & Stimpy, in a way it was like playing Shadow -_-

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

j-man wrote:Did Rubber Nipple Salesmen ever actually get aired? The walrus at the end of that sketch is one of the funniest things I've seen in animation. Nick let him get away with a surprising amount, so it'd be a shame if one of the crowning moments of the show never actually made it on the box.
I'll tell you what though... do you have any rubber walrus protectors?

It certainly aired over here, but the walrus scene was in the middle of the episode, not at the end. I've heard some of the episodes actually have parts that were animated but didn't make it to TV. I don't remember how it ended, but they made the sale to the old man ("I'll take the whole mess of 'em!") and then kicked out on their butts.

I think my favorite episode was the one where they go to a haunted house, with Mad Dog Hoek (Ren & Stimpy cast as pro wrestlers) as the backup. I have no idea where that one fits in terms of seasons.

I really agree on the assessment that John K. did a lot better when Nickelodeon was restraining him. I also feel this way about Jhonen Vasquez.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Edgerock wrote:I think Westerners are improving on animation. At least with certain adaptations...

Spectacular Spider Man is a huge step up from The Animated Series.

This episode in particular is a great example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ieCwtbq ... re=related
Forget episode 7, have you seen episode 23? It's not every day you see a 10 minute three-way crimelord battle set to Rigoletto. Especially the last two minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQk7b7HBt8

Definitely the best fight scene ever done in an American action cartoon. And to think that this show might not get a third season.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Spectacular Spider Man is really good... even if the only Super hero I still like is Batman...

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

I never really watched Ren and Stimpy (or any other Nicktoons) when I was a kid, being more in the Cartoon Network camp. The art style and bizzare animation that was used for these Nickelodeon cartoons just turned me off for some reason.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I can't believe they started the second season. Fucking stupid 4 kids for not showing it yet.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Majestic Joey wrote:I can't believe they started the second season. Fucking stupid 4 kids for not showing it yet.
4Kids no longer has the rights to the series. It's now airing on Disney XD, although new episodes won't start in the US until about June.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I was a HUGE Ren & Stimpy, and really didn't know or care that John was fired. Though, in retrospect, some of the greatest episodes were in the first season, my favorite ones being the happy helmet, nature mocumentary, and space madness.
Crowbar wrote:That's a pathetically fallacious way to criticise anything. You can break down pretty much any show in that format to make it seem crap.

Ren & Stimpy just simply isn't only about scat and gay jokes (the latter of which aren't even that prevalent in the original seasons), the wacky faces aren't only wacky. Scoff if you will but there is more to the acting, writing, and characterisation than you're prepared to give credit for. You just don't seem to be able to look past the surface aspects.
He was criticizing the TNN revival, which was just one bad gay joke.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I was a HUGE Ren & Stimpy, and...
You were both of them?

Neo

Post by Neo »

True story: up to a few months back, my grandma thought "Tom & Jerry" (in portuguese, "Tom e Jerry", read "Tommy Jerry") was a singular name. Whether she thought it was the cat's or the mouse's name or neither is a mystery left unsolved.

256th post. See you on the 65536th.

Blount

Post by Blount »

My grandmother still thinks Tom is called Tommy because of that. I guess it's a common thing between old Portuguese people.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I was a HUGE Ren & Stimpy, and...
You were both of them?
It's funny that I can barely eek out 20wpm and still omit crucial words. Not funny haha, mind.

Fan. I was a HUGE Ren & Stimpy fan

Neo

Post by Neo »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Not funny haha, mind.
I take it you meant "Not haha funny, mind".

I wonder if any grandmas have ever watched "Renny Stimpy".

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Neo wrote:
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Not funny haha, mind.
I take it you meant "Not haha funny, mind".
No, I don't

"Not funny haha, funny queer."

If you're going to be pedantic, I'll just have to pay no mind to you.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Well sorry for both not getting a reference of some sort you were trying to make and stepping on your vagina. Or was that an obscure reference too