Science has finally answered the eternal question

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Science has finally answered the eternal question

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Actually, I have that song on my iPod right now. Not the awesome, original version, mind you, but the legal, wussified version they have on iTunes. Buckner and Garcia just don't sound quite so enthusiastic on that edition, for some reason.

Sadly, they never produced "Galaga Gangrene". I would have lapped that up in an instant!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The only person who decides how a character is named is the original creator, everyone else is rubbish as they didn't sweat drawing the creation.

Anyone can put a name to something someone else created and claim it as their own like the bullshit Legend of Chun Li Movie.

(I'm glad scientists still like Sonic but I found out the hard way that Sonic Died after SA1 or SA2)

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Dasher wrote:
The only person who decides how a character is named is the original creator, everyone else is rubbish as they didn't sweat drawing the creation.
Uh, no. The person/organization that owns the legal rights to the character is the one that gets to decide upon its name, which is in many cases not the original artist.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:
Dasher wrote:
Uh, no. The person/organization that owns the legal rights to the character is the one that gets to decide upon its name, which is in many cases not the original artist.
You're trying to knock sense into the equivalent of a forum bot. Best forget about it.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

You're just as cold as the "legal" rights person, don't you get it? if you create a character you are the creator therefore no one knows the character as much as you do! even if someone buys your character, its still YOUR character!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

George Lucas created Star Wars and look at what he did to that. The best ones are those he had limited imput in. Just sayin'.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Dasher wrote:You're just as cold as the "legal" rights person, don't you get it? if you create a character you are the creator therefore no one knows the character as much as you do! even if someone buys your character, its still YOUR character!
Technically, if it's work for hire, that's not case. If you get into doing this professionally, you may have to make your money by forking over all rights.

It's like, I could write a jingle for a restaurant, and they pay for the rights. I no longer own that jingle. I can say I wrote it, especially when trying to win over another client, but I have none of the legal benefits of ownership. I can't play it live (since who doesn't love advertisements in concerts), I can't sell it on iTunes, and if they hire another jingle writer to record a version with different lyrics, I won't see a dime for it.

Welcome to doing art as a career. It is cold. Cold as hell. If hell were cold.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Well that's for jingles but with, say, illustration, the artist will very usually retain rights to the work.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I don't think we're just talking about pieces of artwork, I think we're talking about the characters conceived for (eventual) commercial purposes.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Sega owns the rights to Sonic if that's what y'all are getting at.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Didn't they recently discovered some new kind of spider and officially named it "John Wayne" or something?