Mega Man Nine

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Mega Man Nine

Post by j-man »

Why is it so arse-violatingly difficult? I mean, seriously. What the fuck. It's like a cruel social experiment. It's hassle to even jump and shoot at the same time. What controller do I use? Why are there spikes on the ceiling that kill you in one hit if you don't tap the jump button to perfection? Do I really have to go back to the beginning every goddamn time I die? WHY DO THE ENEMIES RESPAWN IF YOU MOVE SLIGHTLY TOO FAR TO THE SIDE OF THE SCREEN?

Look, this shit cost me approximately seven English pounds. That's almost a tenner. I don't want to put it down forever, and you guys seemed to like it. Help me like it too.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: Mega Man Nine

Post by P.P.A. »

I bought it for PS3 recently, have never played a classic Mega Man game before (only some of the X titles) and found it quite easy, aside from a few simply unfair places (like those things that shoot out of the holes in Concrete Man's stage and cause your to hitstun into bottomless pits). Well, calling it easy might be a little too much, but neither was it really hard. I could beat all the stages and bosses in a mere handful of tries (even though I haven't completed the game yet past Wily Stage 2 because I can't be bothered to do them all at once without being able to save take a break in the meantime). Overall I think the difficulty was okay. It did pose a bit of a challenge at times, but never was too hard or frustrating.

in other words, grow some balls or go back to Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports. :PP:

j-man

Post by j-man »

Mario Galaxy is super hard and I completed it, no fooling :(

I think those things you mentioned on the Concrete Man level were what finally did me in. That's just cheap. It's not even clever. That, and the fucking bit with the flower on Hornet Man's level, with the rotating thing and the platforms and the instant death. I hate this game.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Just remember... a cheap death is only cheap once. After that it's all your fault.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

j-man wrote:Mario Galaxy is super hard and I completed it, no fooling :(
Damn it man, SMG? Hard? Please, it's like a walk in a park on a sunny day, except not as beautiful and pleasant. A handful of missions were a bit more challenging though (and Luigi's Purple coins was really hard. And the best and most fun level in the entire game. :( ), but overall it was still very easy.
That, and the fucking bit with the flower on Hornet Man's level, with the rotating thing and the platforms and the instant death. I hate this game.
That wasn't cheap. Nor was it /that/ hard. I think you really do just suck at video games. :PB:

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Does this mean we get to revoke J's title as All Time Everything GHZ Winner? It's pretty clear that I've been the runner-up since the beginning, and I'm thinking it's about time I got my dues here.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

He's pretty mean at Donkey Konga, but susceptible to shell attacks in Mario Kart. It's a zen thing?

Joshua! How are your Bubble Bobble skills? Are you ready for that kind of intimacy?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Have... have you never played MM2 or MM3? I'd say 9 is harder than 2 but easier than 1.

The game's pretty much dancing around the stage and enemies, and knowing when to shoot and knowing when and how to dodge. If you can multi-task, that's even better! That's unlikely, though. That flower clock mini-boss used to give me a hard time and now I think it's cake.

My only complaint is that, well, I feel lives and continues are a bit outdated. Sure, it makes the bosses that much more intense (if I gameover I have to do that all over again!), but when I replayed a couple of stages it was pretty easy, but I'm sure if I was a newcomer to the series I would probably quit the game if I died to a boss right then for lack of patience. Heck, when I kept dying to the last boss and decided to exit to buy E-tanks at the cost of doing those extremely difficult final stages all over again, I actually managed to get through them with little hassle at all.

Anyway, just keep playing and maybe you'll do better. I can barely think of any cheap deaths off the top of my head.

j-man

Post by j-man »

I think maybe I should stop playing it at 5am. Might pick up a Classic controller too, see if that helps. Seriously, it's one of the hardest games I've ever played. It makes me a little sad inside. To be brutally honest, I'm not particularly good at any game post-Dreamcast, or anything with a wildly unpredictable difficulty curve. That said, regardless of era, I have no patience when it comes to games that remove the difficulty curve entirely, set fire to it, and shove it down your urethra. I need a series of small, immediate rewards, not a thankless slog through faux 8-bit hell. To those wondering, the only Mega Man game I played previous to this was Rockman X4, and I kicked the fuck out of it thank you very much.

I bet you cunts are the type who imported the PAL MGS2 to play it on European Extreme just for fun. I can technically be considered European, and having tried it I can safely say I wouldn't wish that shit on the Commies. It's like Viewtiful Joe all over again. God, I hate Capcom.

Lee, I will fuck you up at Bubble Bobble. Bring tha nooiiize.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Whoa, how did I miss this?
Ritz wrote:Does this mean we get to revoke J's title as All Time Everything GHZ Winner? It's pretty clear that I've been the runner-up since the beginning, and I'm thinking it's about time I got my dues here.
Go fuck yourself, sir. I earned that title fair and square.

The Turtle Guy
Now Playing: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Again (the game, not the adverb)

Post by The Turtle Guy »

Well, you must remember, this game is a direct homage to the 8-bit games of old, where it was easier to makes the games crazy hard than fair. TVTropes (everyone's read it, now it sucks, yeah, yeah, yeah...) calls it Nintendo Hard. I grew up with the Genesis, when developers began to discover than being repeatedly raped up the ass isn't really that fun, and began making the games a little easier, So I never really played Mega Man 1 and it's ilk.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

j-man wrote:Go fuck yourself, sir. I earned that title fair and square.
Yep. You sure did quote Goro that one time.
Esrever wrote:Just remember... a cheap death is only cheap once. After that it's all your fault.
That's why I love MM9. And why j-man suuuuuuuucks.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Someone needs to change his subtitle to the All-Time Everything GHZ Award Whiner

j-man

Post by j-man »

Locit wrote: Yep. You sure did quote Goro that one time.
In context. That's all it takes, baby. The fact that you remember that is proof enough, and also renews the title for a further 10 years. That's how it works, see.
Locit wrote:
Esrever wrote:Just remember... a cheap death is only cheap once. After that it's all your fault.
That's why I love MM9. And why j-man suuuuuuuucks.
Sucks like YOUR MOM.

Damn, I'm good.
Cuckooguy wrote:Someone needs to change his subtitle to the All-Time Everything GHZ Award Whiner
Someone needs to SHUT THE HELL UP gosh. Everyone picks on me ;_____;

Serious question. Does the Classic controller help? I'm having issues with the whole "sideways Wiimote" thing.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

j-man wrote:Serious question. Does the Classic controller help? I'm having issues with the whole "sideways Wiimote" thing.
I didn't have any problems with the wiimote, but I generally find the Classic controller to be a lot more comfortable for VC games, which MM9 might as well be. It's definitely a lot more intuitive/familiar than the odd angles of the bottom of the wiimote. I'd give it a shot. Worst case you'll have a good pad to use for emulation, provided your compy does bluetooth.

Also, have you tried not sucking? I hear that's pretty important for people who often find themselves sucking at games. So maybe you should try it!

You know, not sucking.

(Because you suck.)

j-man

Post by j-man »

You know, I never thought of it like that. Thanks for the protip! You're a swell guy.

I actually just grew a pair and did Concrete Man. Fuck yes! It just took a little patience, and once I was past those elephants it was plain sailing. I guess this is what comes of a Nintendo-less upbringing. I want everything to be as quick as Sonic!

This raises an interesting little point. What do you guys look for in games as an experience? I think I'm less fussed about being challenged than I am about a sense of well-being, no matter how trivial. I like long, easy games that look nice, which I guess is why I play World of Warcraft so damn much, and also why I never took with this whole achievement/trophy thing the kids are raving about these days.

So yeah. Games. What you look for in them. Discuss.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I like smooth, fluid gameplay that rewards my efforts at attempting to learn it by letting me look totally badass when I nail it perfectly, but have a cool aesthetic/setting/idea to keep me interested until I can get to the adrenaline rush. That's why I love 95% of Mirror's Edge. But God, does the other 5% make the game feel unbearable on the whole. I've spent over a week trying to get past that damn sniper segment of Chapter 9.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I thought it was just cheap enough myself, but I'm a Mega Man veteran of the 80's - though to this day, I've never beaten one. It was kind of awesome the first time I died in 9 and then "holy shit, am I really starting all the way back HERE?" and the game's all like, "Welcome the fuck back to 1986!" I did make it to the first Wily stage, and I'm pretty proud of myself. I still got it!

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

The Turtle Guy wrote:being repeatedly raped up the ass isn't really that fun
...damn it. I was about to reply "What?", but then I realised that this could easily be taken out of context and used against me.
I do enjoy games that beat me up with sticks and blades and continue to kick me while I'm lying on the ground, if just for feeling fucking awesome once you've eventually practised enough to overcome them. They have to be fair in their difficulty though, i.e. no cheap instant surprise deaths. Like Ikaruga, Touhou games or the platforming heaven sublevels of Super Mario Sunshine.
Cuckooguy wrote:Someone needs to change his subtitle to the All-Time Everything GHZ Award Whiner
I second this.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

j-man wrote:I think I'm less fussed about being challenged than I am about a sense of well-being, no matter how trivial. I like long, easy games that look nice, which I guess is why I play World of Warcraft so damn much, and also why I never took with this whole achievement/trophy thing the kids are raving about these days.
Not Devil May Cry. Too much God of War and prolonged exposition to Wii "games" probably have this "nanny/ pussyfying" side effect.
DackAttac wrote:I like smooth, fluid gameplay that rewards my efforts at attempting to learn it by letting me look totally badass when I nail it perfectly, but have a cool aesthetic/setting/idea to keep me interested until I can get to the adrenaline rush.
Very Devil May Cry. This is what all true gamers strive for. Mastering the game is the only actual fun to be had with these fuckers, although some calm OutRun-like breeze every now and then isn't that bad, either.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I like games that immediately release an adrenaline rush as soon as you play, and have enough variation to keep you interested in going back. I also tend to like games that haves soundtracks that complement high-speed gameplay and (perhaps contradictory) luscious and rich graphics. That said, the Sonic, Viewtiful Joe and Wario Landseries are probably my favorites in terms of personal enjoyment.

As I've grow older, I've come to appreciate more-strategy based platformers like Mario, but I thought it looked so boring and repetitive when I was younger. I've never played a Mega Man game before, but I imagine the difficulty would probably frustrate me quickly.

j-man

Re:

Post by j-man »

Isuka wrote:Not Devil May Cry. Too much God of War and prolonged exposition to Wii "games" probably have this "nanny/ pussyfying" side effect.
Er... I died so much on God of War the game asked if I wanted to play on easy mode. Yeah, I guess it's not my thing.

I spent a majority of my childhood playing my brother's (mostly) imported Sega Saturn games, so I have an affinity for the obscure and/or ridiculously easy. I remember playing a ton of Guardian Heroes and being pretty badass at Shining Force III, but after that no games really held my attention like Final Fantasy, and then I got an N64... I guess I've just been brought up on "easy" games. It worked for me then, but after cracking on with MM9 today I'm seeing a whole new side of gaming, as Disney as that sounds. I actually started to appreciate a game kicking my arse! Revelations, etc.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Bah, dooblé post.
Isuka wrote:Very Devil May Cry. This is what all true gamers strive for. Mastering the game is the only actual fun to be had with these fuckers, although some calm OutRun-like breeze every now and then isn't that bad, either.
Really not trying to start static here, sir, but what defines a "true" gamer? I identify with games as an immersive or aesthetic experience, and that is not diminished by it posing a slighter challenge than some of the more hardcore titles on the market. What with art being a subjective medium and all that rot, it seems a tad unfair to encompass an entire audience, varied as they are, under one ideal, or outcome, or whatever.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Actually I was playing with the "this [x] is what all true (y) strive for[?]" line. You know the drill.

Although yeah, challenging/ complex games are the only ones I've been coming back for more over the years. I think Silv already commented something along the lines of "I don't usually come back to an overly long game for seconds", in relation to replay value.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Re:

Post by Delphine »

Isuka wrote:Not Devil May Cry. Too much God of War
ARGUMENT ERROR. SAME GAME.