More Mario & Sonic at the Olympics?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Esrever
Drano Master

Re: More Mario & Sonic at the Olympics?

Post by Esrever »

At least Winter Olympics events lend themselves to video game adaptations better than summer events.

I mean, is there any real way to build a satisfying, deep gaming version of sprinting event? And things like diving, high jump, long jump, shot put... no matter how you slice it, they're never going to amount to anything more than a few timed button press or waggles. It's the nature of the events. In real life, they're over-in-seconds tests of athletic skill. How do you turn something that brief and that intricate into a video game?

But snowboarding, skiing, bobsledding, hockey, even curling... at least these events are all either races or, you know, actual games. Things that video games can... and have... adapted before. It's still a waste of potential, but at least a Winter Olympics game has the potential to be fun. Summer Olympics games are just a lost cause.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Why do people think curling is dumb? Beyond the retarded shouting, it is actually really complex and interesting.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

At least Winter Olympics events lend themselves to video game adaptations better than summer events.

I mean, is there any real way to build a satisfying, deep gaming version of sprinting event? And things like diving, high jump, long jump, shot put... no matter how you slice it, they're never going to amount to anything more than a few timed button press or waggles. It's the nature of the events. In real life, they're over-in-seconds tests of athletic skill. How do you turn something that brief and that intricate into a video game?

But snowboarding, skiing, bobsledding, hockey, even curling... at least these events are all either races or, you know, actual games. Things that video games can... and have... adapted before. It's still a waste of potential, but at least a Winter Olympics game has the potential to be fun. Summer Olympics games are just a lost cause.
My thoughts exactly. Winter events are actually fun. The Summer Olympics are just about sheer endurance and physical training - which will never translate well to a minigame. Winter olympics generally require actual luck and skill to win.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The Doc wrote:How much do you want to bet that they'll put skiing in it, and that the only way to play it is to get a Balance Board (which, in turn, is only available with Wii Fit)?

I hope they don't realize that just because a game comes out with a new accessory, it doesn't mean every Wii owner gets it.
Totally true...

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Crazy Penguin wrote: Nice to see Flicky, Pecky, Picky and Kucky in the trailer. Which of the classic animal friends were in the first game?
I haven't played the first game, but the original trailer only contained the same four animal friends.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mario ... -on?page=1 - For me the first page of this made Firefox trip out and stop accepting most commands until I clicked ahead. How bizzare...oh wait: I know why. There is a quote there, and it is from "producer Takashi Iizuka".

Pardon me a moment.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Much better. Well, after NiGHTS 2's stunning crash and burn, hopefully these games are his fate. For our records, he seems to be sharing the role with some Eigo Kasahara dude.

"A preview of the comments thread." lawl

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Producer, not designer.

Although I am sure they will mess it up a lot, anyway. It is a Wii motion-control mini-game collection.

I also heard they are going to be adding other characters, but I am not sure if it is true. Like Link and standard Sonic Team characters/related (AiAi, et cetera). This is leading me to believe, along with Super Smash Brothers, that Wii is a console for retarded fanboy kids to circle wank over their favourite characters.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

No, the Wii is a console for babies and grandmas to flail their arms around while pretending to play sports and cook.

Seriously, where the hell do you draw your logic from?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

You do not have an avatar, so your opinion is worth nothing.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Kogen wrote:This is leading me to believe, along with Super Smash Brothers, that Wii is a console for retarded fanboy kids to circle wank over their favourite characters.
Characters sell. Surprising, I know.

Maybe you'd rather play this:

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Kogen wrote:You do not have an avatar, so your opinion is worth nothing.
I figured it out. You draw your logic from your own ass. Well done.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Rob-Bert wrote:
I figured it out. You draw your logic from your own ass. Well done.
You swear and get mad a lot. You must have a really big penis.

Blount: Brawl sucks, though, and Olympic games are not exactly that good as a general concept. I do not care that these games exist, but they exist solely for people to get really excited about all their favourite characters jammed into one title that has nothing to do with the character's gameplay (generally). I would rather actual games about them, not a party game thrown together to sell because omg birdo is there ^^;;; (i wanna fuk birdo xDDD).

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Blount wrote:Maybe you'd rather play this:

Lord knows the tourneyfags would have a field day with it. I mean, no items, Stickguy only, and what appears to be Final Destination? That's every Smash game ever, clearly!

Meanwhile I'd take Melee or Brawl in a heartbeat.

Neo

Post by Neo »

We should play Brawl. It's a surprisingly fun game!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I concur.

...you aren't being sarcastic, right? 'Cuz, I mean, I like Brawl...

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I haven't played Brawl (other than the occasional match at a party or whatnot) regularly since summer. You think there's still a ton of lag online?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Let's swap friend codes guys it'll be swell!!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Alright, who here likes Brawl and who doesn't? I want the truth.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Well, personally I think Brawl's multi-player didn't add enough new things to get me to replay it regularly as much as I did with melee. Too much work went into the annoying Adventure Mode that should have gone into the old modes. Really, it felt like playing through the Adventure Mode soured me on the rest of the game and what originally made the series so much fun.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Rob-Bert wrote:Alright, who here likes Brawl and who doesn't? I want the truth.
The European launch for Brawl was fucked up - we had to wait like 6 months for a translation, and it was supposed to be Nintendo's triumphant first foray into semi-competitive online gaming. Aside from the fact we had to face the rest of the world playing catch-up, the online service was hopelessly shoddy for a company trying to make a move into the scene, which added to the feeling that the game was half-assed (which is pretty shameful considering the length of time it was developed).

Haven't touched it since the patch which disabled freeloader. I have no desire to pay for it again at inflated British prices. That said, I don't *hate* the game, it's just that local multiplayer isn't really enough to justify a second purchase. I still play it from time to time on my friends' machines.
I do not recommend taking this approach. This is because your avatar is an anthropomorphic animal.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I would've liked Brawl a lot more if it hadn't been spoiled for me every weekday on the blog. I know I could've easily chosen to remain oblivious, but it'd be pretty hard. I think that was a lot of the allure of Melee; so many rumors were flying around my prepubescent world that any number of them could've been true. By the time the game was released in Japan, I already knew pretty much everything about the game, except its characters, which, of course, were quickly spoiled by forum topics that weren't marked clearly enough.

I didn't like Subspace Emissary. It felt like all of the characterization had been stripped away from the characters - instead of a plot about all sorts of Nintendo characters coming together and fighting, it was about models of said characters fighting. The enemies, locations, and plot was generic. The fact that they pretty much ported an unreleased Kirby game to the SSB engine didn't help either. Also, tripping.

Overall, it's a nice, more robust version of SSBM, but it's certainly not game-of-the-year material, no matter what Nintendo Power says.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Crisis wrote:
I do not recommend taking this approach. This is because your avatar is an anthropomorphic animal.

Oh.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

... the fact that you're on a Sonic message board only makes you more of a target.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Crisis wrote:... the fact that you're on a Sonic message board only makes you more of a target.

Oh.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Rob-Bert wrote:Alright, who here likes Brawl and who doesn't? I want the truth.
I enjoyed unlocking everything, but afterwards there isn't much else to do. I'm still keeping my copy though.