The return of "I Have Fury!" and being in your enemy's body.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Edgerock

The return of "I Have Fury!" and being in your enemy's body.

Post by Edgerock »

Oh, and JP Box art.

http://www.gamekult.com/images/J000093168/

Not even Dr. Stiles could handle this...

Shadow Hog

Re: The return of "I Have Fury!" and being in your enemy's body.

Post by Shadow Hog »

I loved Superstar Saga, but never bought Partners in Time. Wondering if I should play that one first...?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Coming from apparently the only guy here who could tolerate Partners, let alone really like it, trust me when I say I don't see how it could be essential to the enjoyment this game.

CM August

Post by CM August »

So Fawful's a major villain this time around? Makes sense I suppose, it seems that's what most people wanted all along.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I mildly enjoyed Superstar Saga (I liked how they crammed in so many Mario series references, and finally Mario does some actual plumbing) and I think it's a fine game (I really like how the battle system's evolved since Super Mario RPG, and it's even possible to not get hit in the whole game if you're THAT good, which I liked) but I didn't like it enough to want to check out any of its sequels. Super Mario RPG still has a fond place in my heart, though.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Looks fawfully interesting, I'll get it when it comes out if I can!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Superstar Saga is great. Partners in Time is awful. Boring plot, boring areas, boring battle system, boring enemy design, boring writing. It's like they literally took out everything fun about the first game. There's no more overworld, you go through holes directly into the dungeons. The villains have hardly any dialogue and are almost never on screen. The battle system is made ridiculously easy with four characters. And the special moves requiring items all the time is just lame.

Avoid it like the plague.

Blount

Post by Blount »

That box art is full of excellence. It's kind of brilliant despite its simplicity and it conveys the characters' traits really well.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wonder if the Pigadillo is Bowser's old college rival or something.

I also hope the Goomba, Paratroopa, and Shyguy are party members. One of the things I've wanted for a while is a game where you have Mario, Luigi, and a random humorous good-guy version of a stompable enemy in a party at the same time.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I didn't think PiT was bad, but I can't really deny any of the criticisms leveled against it.

I'm gonna love this if Bowser's gameplay is as fleshed-out as some of those screenshots imply.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:I also hope the Goomba, Paratroopa, and Shyguy are party members. One of the things I've wanted for a while is a game where you have Mario, Luigi, and a random humorous good-guy version of a stompable enemy in a party at the same time.
...?
...?
pm-screen-title.PNG (113.94 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
I like the cover too, but I kinda doubt we'll get it in the west since they'd have to jump through hoops to make it work in an english language logo. Anyway, the best news out of all of this for me is placing Intelligent Systems on the bridge instead of that one-hit wonder crew at Alphadream. I take it there were some disappointed decision makers after the last one too. I wonder though, what this will mean for the SMRPG staff that were key in making the first two...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

FlashTHD wrote:
Zeta wrote:I also hope the Goomba, Paratroopa, and Shyguy are party members. One of the things I've wanted for a while is a game where you have Mario, Luigi, and a random humorous good-guy version of a stompable enemy in a party at the same time.
pm-screen-title.PNG
I like the cover too, but I kinda doubt we'll get it in the west since they'd have to jump through hoops to make it work in an english language logo. Anyway, the best news out of all of this for me is placing Intelligent Systems on the bridge instead of that one-hit wonder crew at Alphadream. I take it there were some disappointed decision makers after the last one too. I wonder though, what this will mean for the SMRPG staff that were key in making the first two...
I wanted to see a combination of the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi franchise. Specifically. : p

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Fire forms! First time in an RPG, I believe. Does that mean you'll need to use a fire flower to do fire attacks ala PiT? Will you retain the transformation after the attack?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

C'mon, Tanuki suit!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I've had Superstar Saga for a while now, but still haven't gotten around to it yet. Looking at these screens and excellent cover art makes me want to start it finally.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Nintendo Power is under the impression that Mario & Luigi are supposed to spend a significant chunk of the game in Bowser's innards, while the big guy gets to be the one roaming the overworld. Lame, I hope not.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That would be the most moronic and disappointing idea ever, and if that were so, they should pretty much stop making this series permanently.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

FlashTHD wrote:
Nintendo Power is under the impression that Mario & Luigi are supposed to spend a significant chunk of the game in Bowser's innards, while the big guy gets to be the one roaming the overworld. Lame, I hope not.
It could be pretty interesting if the developers divided Browser's body into different sections (stomach, nervous system, heart, ect.) with unique scenery, enemies, and puzzles for each, as well as the ability to move freely between those sections like one big overworld map. But I too hope that you don't spend the majority of the Mario Brother's game inside of Bowser.

Also, concerning that Fire Suit screenshot, does anyone have the vaguest idea what function that bar in the lower-righthand corner serves?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Zeta wrote:That would be the most moronic and disappointing idea ever, and if that were so, they should pretty much stop making this series permanently.
Hyperbole much? What would be so bad about it?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Oh come on.

a) It would lower nearly the whole premise to a single already-done gimmick

b) If the only frontiers they have left for us to explore in Mario RPGs are Bowser's insides and all the amazing lands that apparently dwell within, hell no I wouldn't want to see them continue beating the horse.

...oh my god, it's probably true. I saw a screenshot a while back of the bros. fighting in a normal environment though, so there might be hope yet.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Mario and Luigi RPG 3: Adventures in Bowser's Rectum, the Legend of Poo.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on this. Until they decide to start making the series fun again. And give you the ability to actually explore a goddamn overworld as the fucking Mario Bros again.

There was actually a novel about the Mario Bros being swallowed by Yoshi and finding a labyrinthine world and ecosystem inside of him they had to explore. Including an ocean and a forest. It was cute at the time, I didn't want to see them make a goddamn RPG out of it.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Zeta wrote:Yeah, I think I'll pass on this. Until they decide to start making the series fun again. And give you the ability to actually explore a goddamn overworld as the fucking Mario Bros again.
Er...judging by this screenshot, it looks like you can. I'm not ready to bitch and declare this game might suck based on some vague speculations that could possibly tell half the story about it until I read some actual impressions about the game come February.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Zeta wrote:That would be the most moronic and disappointing idea ever, and if that were so, they should pretty much stop making this series permanently.
I can't believe you'd actually be so goddamn fickle.

New Mario & Luigi RPG announced in which you get to play as Bowser!
FUCK YES THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER I'LL BUY 10 COPIES GOTY

The Mario brothers' half of the adventure will probably largely take place inside Bowser, with the two sides able to influence eachother!
FUCK NO THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER I'M NOT BUYING THIS STOP MAKING GAMES

You have no idea whether it's going to have a positive or negative effect on the gameplay, and while I was of course being hyperbolic just then, you've literally already said you won't buy it. Jeez.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Oh Christ, Zeta and Flash are whining in tandem. CAN'T ESCAPE.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Delphine wrote:Oh Christ, Zeta and Flash are whining in tandem. CAN'T ESCAPE.
Seriously guys, get over yourselves. Wait to see how a goddamn game plays before you go on about how bad it is.

On the plus side we saw that Crowbar is a reasonable, sane person. So that's nice!