Ivo

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Ivo

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So I was looking at the official Sonic Chronicles strategy guide published by Prima in the store today and noticed that Eggman's full name is given - Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Sega has long since reconciled both the Eggman and Robotnik names as being equally "correct", but this is the first time I've seen the name Ivo referenced in any capacity this decade (didn't another recent profile, Sonic Channel perhaps, simply list his real name as "unknown"?).

I must admit that aside from the DS games I've (luckily, from what I hear) been out of the loop Sonic-wise since the hugely disappointing Sonic Heroes. Have there been any other recent Ivo references?

Xyton

Re: Ivo

Post by Xyton »

Recently I haven't heard him referred to as anything BUT Eggman, so…

I'm glad the name Robotnick (and Ivo for that matter) is not forgotten.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I think he used it once in Sonic Chronicles. Which doesn't count.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I see that the Wikipedants make a habit of always calling him that, so, it'd fit if either Prima or Bioware lifted that title off the fans.

Most recent (interesting) use of Robotnik i've seen in recent games is in Riders. Some of the hoverboards and skates are mentioned as being products of a little arrangement called "Robotnik Corp."

And hey! Stunningly, some tards (outside the walls of Sonic Retro) are still butthurt over the departure of "Dr. R".

CM August

Post by CM August »

I suppose the opposite of that is a staunch attachment to the Japanese enemy names, which are neither clever nor meaningful in English.

Seriously though, Chronicles has the only mention of Ivo I've heard of late. Given the game's propensity for clashing elements of other continuities together, it's not surprising.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

Not since Sonic the Comic do I recall hearing this.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Is he called Ivo in the actual game?
Chronicles has a codex which provides detailed profiles on all the characters (and also answers long standing debates within the Sonic community, such as the origin of Angel Island and the validity of Super Knuckles). The Eggman entry makes no reference to Ivo.
I haven't had the time (or the will) to get past chapter 5, but I don't remember Eggman ever calling himself Ivo.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

He calls himself Ivo Robotnik at one point, I don't remember which chapter. I think not long after you get him on your team. But I'm considering Sonic Chronicles non-canon for the time being.

Has anyone finished it? I really don't like it. I forced myself to get as far as the outer space stuff, but it's too astoundingly boring and clunky to stomach any further. Combat is frustrating, there's only like, a dozen different types of enemies in the entire game, and the presentation is very awkward in general. I can't even begin to describe the physical pain inflicted by the "music". It sounds like one of the directors let his 11-year old kid do it on the new keyboard he got for Christmas. I think there's a whole sound channel or two missing. Also, there's a peculiar abundance of tracks from Sonic 3D Blast.....

The whole thing reeks of fan game.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Ironic huh? Everybody was banking on Chronicles being awesome due to Bioware developing it, and now people think it sucks. Conversely, it was thought that Unleashed would blow ass but it's proven to be surprisingly competent amongst most. What gives?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Rob-Bert wrote:Ironic huh? Everybody was banking on Chronicles being awesome due to Bioware developing it, and now people think it sucks.
Yeah! In'nt that cute, unloading all that blind faith on one name.

Gag me.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

FlashTHD wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:Ironic huh? Everybody was banking on Chronicles being awesome due to Bioware developing it, and now people think it sucks.

Gag me.
You heard it, folks. It was stupid to expect a quality product from a company with a high success rate.

This lesson courtesy of the guy who hangs out in the news forum topics of the just-announced Sonic titles adamantly expecting a shitty product because its company has a low success rate.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

DackAttac wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:

Gag me.
You heard it, folks. It was stupid to expect a quality product from a company with a high success rate.

This lesson courtesy of the guy who hangs out in the news forum topics of the just-announced Sonic titles adamantly expecting a shitty product because its company has a low success rate.
Not every sports team gets to make a comeback, otherwise the movies about them wouldn't be so endearing.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:You heard it, folks. It was stupid to expect a quality product from a company with a high success rate.
That's if you think "expect" = "oh it's bioware! how could it possibly fail?! yey!"

The Turtle Guy
Now Playing: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Again (the game, not the adverb)

Post by The Turtle Guy »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Also, there's a peculiar abundance of tracks from Sonic 3D Blast.....
Yeah, something about that game makes them want to remix off of it. Even, of course, in Sonic Adventure, with Windy Valley and Twinkle Park. Maybe because of it's relative obscurity?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

FlashTHD wrote:
DackAttac wrote:You heard it, folks. It was stupid to expect a quality product from a company with a high success rate.
That's if you think "expect" = "oh it's bioware! how could it possibly fail?! yey!"
Hm, no, those people are still stupid. The consensus I got was, "Oh, it's Bioware. There's a better shot of this being a good game than a Sonic Team production, let's actually pay attention." I also noticed that when the game turned out to not be the bee's knees, these people were considerably less butthurt than when a platforming Sonic game sucks.

There are people on the internet who speak in sentences that aren't hyperbolized. Just because they share their viewpoint with people who don't doesn't invalidate their position.
Baba O'Riley wrote:Not every sports team gets to make a comeback, otherwise the movies about them wouldn't be so endearing.
That wasn't really my point. I was saying if you are certain a company with a bad track record will make a bad game (logical), but are wary of the product of a company with a good track record, it doesn't mean you make sense, it just means you're skeptic.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Has anyone finished it?
I got to chapter 6, encountered fight after fight of bots that either have ridiculously high armor and unblockable missile attacks or would just self-destruct which I gave trying to futilely block a long time ago. Threw my DS at the wall in rage & haven't actually been able to locate it ever since despite major room cleaning.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I don't see why so many people found Chronicles hard (in terms of game difficulty, rather than "can I make myself play this shit?"). I found the whole thing almost insultingly easy, especially towards the end (and no, I didn't power level, I make a point of not doing so these days), and I don't even play RPGs much. There are so many game-breaking party possibilities it's ridiculous.

But to actually answer GG's question up there, the ending is LOLtastic. Basically, you unite all the races in the Twilight Cage (admittedly not a bad idea), get into Ix's stronghold and beat him up in what must be the most anti-climactic boss battle ever (imagine FF7's very last battle without any of the catharsis). Ix tries to close the portal back to Earth so the party hops back in their ship and gets through, but when they get back they're met by a massive battery of weaponry belonging to Eggman, who's taken over the planet (who didn't see this coming?)

But then suddenly we get Sonic and Tails literally saying words to the effect of:
Tails: Wow! Can you believe that ending? What a load of shit!
Sonic: Too fucking right.
Tails: Guess we're going to have to wait for the next game to see what happens eh?
Sonic: Fuck you in the nose.
Tails: But first let's talk about the people who made this shitty game.
Sonic: Oh God no.
Tails: [wordswordswords because BioWare are too fucking lazy to even do proper fucking credits]
Sonic: Option1: Keep talking.
>>Option2: Please shut the fuck up.
<<<<NEW GAME+ LOL>>>>

So basically it's the most poorly executed "To be continued" ending in the history of everything. Given how unprofessional the rest of the game is I shouldn't have been surprised.

Oh, I don't know if anybody on this forum was aware but apparently some of the tracks might actually be midis downloaded from VGMusic and other places. Yeah.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

{too slow edit}
Actually it was probably here that I first read about that last point so nevermind.

One thing I do want to ask others who've finished it is whether I missed anything regarding the whole "Dexter" nonsense. Like, is it just me or is he never mentioned again past the first half of the game? Unresolved plot point? Or did I just pick the wrong dialogue options (I was a dick to Amy all the way, of course)?

WW

Post by WW »

Never bothered to do it myself cause the game sucks ass worse than anything Sonic Team ever made, but apparently if you make the right choices, Amy says that she made Dexter up. *NO FUCKIN' WAY! REALLY?!*

K2J

Post by K2J »

Robotnik calls himself Ivo, I believe, just when joining your team. Something along the lines of "Ivo Robotnik has come back once more!" Yeah, it felt forced. He uses Eggman for the majority of the game, though.

I really wish Dexter had been real.

I never finished Chronicles. I'll probably do it over the next week or so due to being at the final area, but it is an exercise in "Oh god, when is this fanfiction abomination going to be over?" Seriously, this game was my introduction to BioWare, so it's rather unlikely I'll ever buy their games due to the fact that this somehow passed their Q.C. I've played like, two RPG series in my life (Pokémon and the Mario RPGs) and I would think it would be pretty obvious for an RPG "giant" to label the stats correctly. It was way to linear, way too slow, way too clunky in presentation. And though I like how they managed to avoid the immature fanbase voice actor whining by not putting any vocals in this game at all, the substituted sounds (tukey gobble for Shadow, anyone?) just don't fit.

It's a shame; I've always felt there was room for development in Knuckles' backstory, but the way they did it just didn't feel right.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

K2J wrote:label the stats correctly
Oh god this pissed me off so much. Even if they didn't want you to be able to customise their Power and Armour with bonus points they could've at least put them on the status screen.
Every aspect of the gameplay was either stolen from something else (Ouendan, Mario RPGs) or shoved in for no reason as a failed attempt to do something differently (the stats, having to pick all your actions for a round in one go rather than turn-by-turn).

And the sound effects. Can anybody explain why Shadow's teleporting is always accompanied by a "spin" then a "spike" sound effect? That ranked only slightly below the insistent use of the old Chaos Emerald jingle for collecting an extra life in all modern Sonic games on my "Trivial shit that bugs the hell out of me" list.

I also don't understand why the stupid "cutscenes" had to be prerendered FMVs when all they consisted of were static tweened graphics (to say nothing of the intro, 80% of which was in-game footage). Maybe if they hadn't wasted all that disk space the battle themes (which were much better than the overworld themes) could've been included at a decent sample rate.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Crowbar wrote:Maybe if they hadn't wasted all that disk space the battle themes (which were much better than the overworld themes) could've been included at a decent sample rate.
Especially since only one battle theme would've done fine (the one based off of the intro's music).

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Crowbar wrote:One thing I do want to ask others who've finished it is whether I missed anything regarding the whole "Dexter" nonsense. Like, is it just me or is he never mentioned again past the first half of the game? Unresolved plot point? Or did I just pick the wrong dialogue options (I was a dick to Amy all the way, of course)?
She admits she made him up to make Sonic jealous. In that same conversation, you can make Sonic tell Amy he loves her, pretty much. I went with that option to see where it would go, but shit hits the fans pretty soon after that and I don't think Sonic and Amy ever say another word to each other the whole game. Not that I was surprised that yet another branching conversation had no effect whatsoever on anything!
Crowbar wrote:And the sound effects. Can anybody explain why Shadow's teleporting is always accompanied by a "spin" then a "spike" sound effect?

I used Amy a lot because her hammer is pretty good for basic enemies. It makes the sound of collecting an air bubble. I was so confused.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

But to actually answer GG's question up there, the ending is LOLtastic. Basically, you unite all the races in the Twilight Cage (admittedly not a bad idea), get into Ix's stronghold and beat him up in what must be the most anti-climactic boss battle ever (imagine FF7's very last battle without any of the catharsis). Ix tries to close the portal back to Earth so the party hops back in their ship and gets through, but when they get back they're met by a massive battery of weaponry belonging to Eggman, who's taken over the planet (who didn't see this coming?)
When, why & how did Eggman leave the party to set that up to begin with?
I don't see why so many people found Chronicles hard (in terms of game difficulty, rather than "can I make myself play this shit?"). I found the whole thing almost insultingly easy, especially towards the end (and no, I didn't power level, I make a point of not doing so these days), and I don't even play RPGs much. There are so many game-breaking party possibilities it's ridiculous.
Well maybe if Cream's refresh didn't demand such absolute speed & perfection or maybe if the characters didn't have so little PP to begin with, I'd be able to do something about those high armored pawns. Lord knows I can't avoid them on the overworld if I tried. It took me half the game to get any sort of hang of the bloody EBA controls (no I can not in fact play rhythm games at all. I didn't think that would nessasary in an RPG).
And the sound effects. Can anybody explain why Shadow's teleporting is always accompanied by a "spin" then a "spike" sound effect? That ranked only slightly below the insistent use of the old Chaos Emerald jingle for collecting an extra life in all modern Sonic games on my "Trivial shit that bugs the hell out of me" list.
Out of curiosity where does "Mario going down the pipe" being the same as "Mario getting hit" rank? I didn't get why they kept it that way well onto NSMB.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Team Mecha wrote:When, why & how did Eggman leave the party to set that up to begin with?
It's explained somewhere in the game prior to entering the Twilight Cage that time passes differently in there than it does in the rest of the universe. When Sonic and co go in there to hunt down Ix, Eggman stays behind for some reason that seems innocent enough at the time. Then when you come back, boom, it's been a few years (or months, who knows) and Eggman rules everything. It's actually done pretty well, but being immediately followed by Sonic and Tails' bullshit credits banter takes the edge off it somewhat. As does being the first interesting plot development in the entire game.