PS3

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
smiths32

PS3

Post by smiths32 »

So I've finally succumbed to getting a ps3, mainly for metal gear 4, but little big planet looks pretty sweet too, anyone here tried it? I was wondering if anyone here could recommend anything else to justify its price tag.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

CONSOLE WAR GO

Post by Delphine »

ps3 sux get a 360 lolololol

Nah, I kid. It's a neat enough little bit of hardware. There aren't enough games I like on it that aren't on the 360 that justify my purchasing it, though.

Zeta

Re: PS3

Post by Zeta »

Little Big Planet is kind of lame, actually. I mean it's gorgeous to look at, but the game play is pretty generic platforming. Also, the physics engine can really fuck up the game. Sure, realistic physics are fun and all, but not when you trip, knock over something heavy, and make the level uncompletable. Also, the way MM is systematically deleting stages at random while shouting "copy write violation" because "that guy's head kind of looks like Pac-Man" or "This stage has the same title as a shitty Matthew Mcconaughey movie!" totally turned me off." especially compared to what Spore gets away with and encourages.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I heard Valkyrie Chronicles was supposed to be pretty good. And by Sega. A bit of an oxymoron in the year 2008, regrettably.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I think I heard somewhere Valkyrie Chronicles is going to also become an anime. It might have just been a dream though. Lately I've noticed I've been dreaming of reading video game magazines, which has been kind of creepy and sad. But it's only in my dreams that Sonic Unleashed will get a 7 out of 10.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Open a Japanese account and download Mainichi Issho and Shiki-tei from the PSN store. Mainichi Issho is not really a game, but it's awesome and free (unless you want to purchase furniture to decorate your apartment).

Pain (in the US store) is kind of cool, but overpriced. The basic game is like $10 and that's only for one stage and 2 or 3 characters. It's a surprisingly engaging game for an hour or two, though.

Metal Gear is by far the best thing out right now - granted I haven't started Little Big yet, I'll probably pop that in this weekend. I also picked up Afrika but I haven't started that either.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Has anyone picked up Mirror's Edge? I just played the demo and I'm pretty intrigued. It's sort of a mish-mash of Jet Set Radio, Jumping Flash, and Ninja Gaiden. The controls are pretty complex and not always intuitive (I kept turning around when I was trying to punch), but it seems that if I could conquer the learning curve, it's the sort of thing that could be really rewarding when pulled off with skill.

So what's the verdict? Is it as cool as I think it could be?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I didn't really like the demo, it just made me think how much more fun it would be to play Jet Set Radio instead.

I don't really get the comparison to Jumping Flash aside from the fact that if you look down you can see your feet.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I got mirror's edge and it was pretty good. the begining of the game is so much but I feel it kind of dies at the end of the game. In the first couple of levels it feels alot like jet set radio how you are pretty much just being pursued. That's is pretty much the best part of the game because you have to make tons of quick decisions and do crazy jumps. The game starts to really such when they make it so you have to beat all the enemies in a room in order to open the door. The combat in Mirror's edge is really frustrating because if you mess up on a disarm you're fucked you pretty much just dead. Despite that the game has a lot of things going for it and it's a real pretty game.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

It's generally fun, but really short.

I kind of felt a little trapped, actually. From time to time I found myself playing the old "guess what the developer's thinking" game. Your next move isn't always obvious.

I think it's one of those games that brings forth a unique experience that can be built on and improved in future games. Kind of like what Shenmue did for open world games (I guess.)

Haters might call it a tech demo.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't really get the comparison to Jumping Flash aside from the fact that if you look down you can see your feet.l
Just the first-person platformer connection. I got platformer vibes from it, but I guess maybe it ends up not going in that direction.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Did you play Robbit mon Dieu? I'd love a next generation Jumping Flash but I can't help thinking it would turn out like that did.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

So, I'm trying to decide between purchasing Bioshock and Valkyria Chronicles and having a very hard time at it. I've played a bit of both, and honestly, I'm leaning towards Bioshock. The Valkyria demo felt like a pretty standard turn-based strategy game with a few novelties, but I'm hoping it gets better later in the game. Any opinions? Tell me what to think!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Valkyria Chronicles is better. In fact, it's one of the best games on the PS3 this year.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I can now also verify with certainty that Little Big is sweet as a banana mango pudding shake. With whipped cream.

I'd heard that they were mass deleting stages based on other games, but when I finally went online that was darn near all I saw. Which is actually kind of a shame, but... damned if that Ico stage isn't amazing. I've barely touched the level create system, but seeing the outlandish stuff other people are doing only discourages me from even trying. Like that calculator stage? How do you even do that? I've been through every tutorial there is and I can't even make platforms float.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Glue them to a background object or use dark matter.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Has anyone played the Gladius interpretation on LBP? It's one of the most inventive things I've ever played.