Seriously, why wasn't SegaSonic on Gems Collection?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Spike

Seriously, why wasn't SegaSonic on Gems Collection?

Post by Spike »

I was looking at a few gameplay videos of the game and it looked so awesome. The gameplay looked like fun, and the animations of the game was superb for a 1993 game. I was wondering why the hell this wasn't on Gems Collection. The selection on the game as it was seemed so barren.

It's been said it was because of the trackball. Why the hell didn't they work around this? The analogue stick could've easily been used as a track ball. Just just keep tapping the stick in the direction like one. Seriously, was it THAT hard to implement?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: Seriously, why wasn't SegaSonic on Gems Collection?

Post by P.P.A. »

Chaotix wasn't on there either, and Sonic CD only in the form of the most horrible port ever. So I guess it's just because SEGA sucks.

Spike

Post by Spike »

I actually liked Sonic CD. I don't see anything wrong with it, though I've never really played the original Sega CD version of it. What, praytell was exactly horrible about this. And don't say soundtrack because that's an instant fail.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Because it would have required a bit of effort.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

My god you better not be that Spike guy who went to Sonic Classic. If you thought Dasher and Arcade were awful...

Spike

Post by Spike »

FlashTHD wrote:My god you better not be that Spike guy who went to Sonic Classic. If you thought Dasher and Arcade were awful...
So I was THAT bad, huh? I suppose I was always a bit too emo, and then offensive, and then just plain stupid. You shouldn't have to worry about me this time since I've learned to think before I post...

...Which I probably should've done when posting this...

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Spike wrote:I actually liked Sonic CD. I don't see anything wrong with it, though I've never really played the original Sega CD version of it. What, praytell was exactly horrible about this. And don't say soundtrack because that's an instant fail.
  • Graphical errors: No palette change underwater in Tidal Tempest, fucked up Stardust Speedway Bad Future background and some others.
  • Sound errors: Peelout/spindash sound plays only briefly and not all the time while you charge it; and there were a few others ones as well if I recall correctly.
  • Changes in level design: Some previously accessible ways leading over the top of some levels, most notably in Metallic Madness 2, have been made inaccessible.
  • Peelout changes: In the original version, if you had the speedshoes and charged your peelout for about half a second longer than necessary, you'd go off WHOA FAST. Could be used to glitch through some walls and most importantly the beginning of CC1, causing you to warp to the end of the level. With that removed, you can't get near the world record of that stage in the Gems version.
  • The special stages run too fast. They were slower in the other versions.
  • A pause menu was added allowing you to go back to the title screen. Which is fine in the main mode, but a pain in the ass in time attack mode, as you can't suicide by pausing and pressing any button to return to the TA menu any more, and have to either suicide or go back to the title screen and move to the TA submenu again manually.
  • In debug mode, you cannot place items.
  • Gameplay errors: The butterfly badniks (Pata-Pata) in Palmtree Panic and the firefly bots in TT fly in straight lines, as opposed to wavy patterns like they did originally.
  • inferior, unfitting soundtrack lol

Spike

Post by Spike »

P.P.A. wrote:
Spike wrote:I actually liked Sonic CD. I don't see anything wrong with it, though I've never really played the original Sega CD version of it. What, praytell was exactly horrible about this. And don't say soundtrack because that's an instant fail.
  • Graphical errors: No palette change underwater in Tidal Tempest, fucked up Stardust Speedway Bad Future background and some others
  • Sound errors: Peelout/spindash sound plays only briefly and not all the time while you charge it and there were a few others ones as well if I recall correctly
  • Changes in level design: Previously accessible ways leading over the top of some levels, most notably Metallic Madness 2, have been made inaccessible.
  • Peelout changes: In the original version, if you had the speedshoes and charged your peelout for about half a second longer than necessary, you'd go off WHOA FAST. Could be used to glitch through some walls and most importantly the beginning of CC1, causing you to warp to the end of the level. With that removed, you can't get near the time record of that stage in the Gems version.
  • The special stages run too fast. They were slower in the other versions.
  • A pause menu was added allowing you to go back to the title screen. Which is fine in the main mode, but a pain in the ass in time attack mode, as you can't suicide by pausing and pressing any button to return to the TA menu any more and have to either suicide or go back to the title screen and move to the TA menu again manually.
  • In debug mode, you cannot place items.
  • Gameplay errors: The butterfly badniks in Palmtre Panic and the firefly bots in TT fly in straight lines, as opposed to wavy patterns like they did originally.
  • inferior, unfitting soundtrack lol
WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY??? :lol:

I suppose those changes would bother a lot of the hardcore fans of the game, but to me, they seem minor and don't make a "terrible" port. Just an inferior one.

[*]Peelout changes: In the original version, if you had the speedshoes and charged your peelout for about half a second longer than necessary, you'd go off WHOA FAST. Could be used to glitch through some walls and most importantly the beginning of CC1, causing you to warp to the end of the level. With that removed, you can't get near the time record of that stage in the Gems version.

This one, however, sounds more like a fix than a change. Kind of funny how when Sega fixed a glitch, it's considered bad this time.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Spike wrote:WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY??? :lol:
Lies! You spread lies!
I suppose those changes would bother a lot of the hardcore fans of the game, but to me, they seem minor and don't make a "terrible" port. Just an inferior one.
Well I guess that is true.
This one, however, sounds more like a fix than a change. Kind of funny how when Sega fixed a glitch, it's considered bad this time.
The wall thing was most likely a litch, but I'm unsure about the peelout charge thing. Might have been intentional, I don't know.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Aren't both soundtracks available on the PS2 and Xbox versions? I bought the Japanese GC one anyway (something about Streets of Rage? I don't remember) so that fixes it too.

Aren't all the port effects a result of it being the PC version? I mean, is it actually worse than that one?

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

G.Silver wrote:Aren't both soundtracks available on the PS2 and Xbox versions? I bought the Japanese GC one anyway (something about Streets of Rage? I don't remember) so that fixes it too.

Aren't all the port effects a result of it being the PC version? I mean, is it actually worse than that one?
The PC Sonic CD doesn't have most of the aforementioned problems (aside from not running on XP).
And wait, there was an Xbox version of Gems Collection? You're right on the PS2 one though, at least of what I have heard.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

There isn't an Xbox version of Gems, no.

Neo

Post by Neo »

So when did The GHZ start catering to the average Sonic fan?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

G.Silver wrote:Aren't all the port effects a result of it being the PC version? I mean, is it actually worse than that one?
Yes and no. The PC port doesn't suffer from a lot of those glitches, they came up in Gems because whoever they got to port it over was lazy as sin and didn't correct some files or something (I forget which, possibly a DirectX thing?) that would make the game run properly.

Now that I think of it, PPA and Spike almost deserve each other.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

P.P.A. wrote: The special stages run too fast. They were slower in the other versions.
Yikes. Sonic CD's special stages, to me, were always fun for about 10 seconds, and then a tedious game of running, jumping, failing to hit the important UFO, chasing down the extra time UFO, chasing down the important UFO, jumping, missing, chasing down the extra time UFO... if they're faster in this other version, getting the Time Stones must be a real bummer...

The special stages in Sonic 1 were reasonable, and 2's were challenging but not cheap (unless you had Tails with you), and 3's were pretty good (I like it when games reward skill, such as bouncing off a star sphere in order to fly backwards into a yellow sphere to launch yourself to the end to get a perfect). But CD's were just irritating.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Sonic 3's Special Stages always seemed a bit off to me. Being stuck to a grid and not being able to take anything other than 90 degree turns just seemed so un-Sonic. Chaotix and the Saturn version of Sonic 3D had the best Special Stages.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Sonic 3's Special Stages always seemed a bit off to me. Being stuck to a grid and not being able to take anything other than 90 degree turns just seemed so un-Sonic. Chaotix and the Saturn version of Sonic 3D had the best Special Stages.
I thought 3's special stages were fun, but that might just be because I never really got the hang of 2's. Saturn 3D blast was by far the most fun of any game's special stages, though.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

There isn't an Xbox version of Gems, no.
Whoops, I was thinking of Mega Collection and just assumed.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

On the topic of SegaSonic being absent from Gems, it's probably because they barely got a Mega Drive emulator running, already had Model 2 emulation available from some SEGA AGES 2500 titles for Fighters, and couldn't for their lives get Mega CD, 32X or System 32 emulation to any decent level, so they just re-ported the PC ports.

On CD's Special Stages, they're now on a whole new level of challenge. I remember the first time I ran the game, bitched and cursed the fucker for jumping from 30 fps to goddamn 60 and keeping the same animation, but now it's somehow addictive to play like this, as if Hitmaker came and messed them up.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Sonic 3's Special Stages always seemed a bit off to me. Being stuck to a grid and not being able to take anything other than 90 degree turns just seemed so un-Sonic. Chaotix and the Saturn version of Sonic 3D had the best Special Stages.
Heck yes, I agree with every word of this post. I wish there was a way I could just play nothing but the special stages from Chaotix and 3D Blast because playing the actual games is tedious.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

There a reason why Chaotix has no enemies in it's normal stages?

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Rob-Bert wrote:There a reason why Chaotix has no enemies in it's normal stages?
What the fuck are you playing? Chaotix has enemies.

Also in terms of special stages, my favourite would be Chaotix's ones, they were just perfect. Sonic CD's were my dearest ones before that, closely followed by Sonic 1's. The ones in Sonic CD were hella confusing at first, but once I started time attacking them they became really fun and awesome. And I have a Mode-7 fetish.
I never played S3D Saturn's special stages yet, unfortunately. Always meant to get the game but ended up buying something else instead.
Sonic 2's were kinda boring and S3&K's make me totally dizzy whenever I play them, probably due to the low amount of colours coupled with that sphere you walk on. Not much of a loss though, they weren't that fun anyway.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Now that I've seen footage of the game past the first stage, I know I was wrong. I never did play Chaotix. Go ahead and maim me for that.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I love that code were you can play as two of the same character and you can also play as Heavy and Bomb! normally impossible to pair those two. Just 2 useless robots trying to survive in the wild! if you haven't done it, go ahead and do it right now!

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I usually play Mighty. I didn't like him that much until I found out how to properly use his wall-kicking move. Man, when I accidentally found out I was almost shocked by how fast he zooms up walls that way.