Le secret project

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Le secret project

Post by Green Gibbon! »

http://www.theghz.com/sonicopedia/

I have been working on this on and off for a year or so. I think it's done or fairly close to it, but I've been sitting on it for the past couple of months, afraid to post it for fear of A) hundreds of error notices, B) kicking off huge debates about what should be considered "canon", C) revealing that I've actually just spent a year writing a goddamn dictionary on the Sonic universe.

I guess we'll call it a beta.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Re: Le secret project

Post by Frieza2000 »

The wiki just wasn't working, huh?

Typos:
Project Shadow wrote:The project was dubbed "Project Shadow", named for the irony involved in trying to create being which does not exist naturally - a "shadow", so to speak.
That's technically a proper sentence, but I think you meant create a being.
Knuckles tribe wrote:The surviving echidnas, left with nothing but ruins, took it upon themselves to guard the Master Emerald to ensure that the horror within would never again be unleashed upon the world. As the centuries passed, their numbers grew fewer and fewer. In the present day, the lone heir to the echidna legacy is Knuckles, last of his race and a valiant (of occasionally ill-advised) guardian.

It's also somewhat of an assumption to say the echidnas became the guardians of the Master Emerald to prevent Chaos from being released. They could've been trying to prevent other races from seeking it's power, which is what brought the whole situation about. If Chaos really was their main concern though (and that's probably the case based on the translation), that means there's no reason for Knuckles to continue his guardianship. It's totally ok for him to be hanging out at Holy Summit and playing tennis and racing on extreme gear because Chaos is gone and the Master Emerald is basically just a big Chaos Emerald now, and nobody makes any effort to guard those things whatsoever.
Sonic Adventure - A Heavenly Island - Chaos Emerald Tradition [Part 1] wrote:Suffering a powerful blow from Chaos, the Knuckles were significantly weakened. Those remaining from the tribe were given to watching over the Master Emerald, living on the fringe of the altar levitated by the Master Emerald's Power. Their responsibility was making sure that something like this never happened again, guarding and protecting the Master Emerald.
Now, having obligatorily realized fears A and B, let me also say that it's great to see some new stuff from you.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

But in Sonic CD, a Zone is one of the 3 sub-stages of a Round!

But no, the whole thing is pretty cool. Good job.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I'm assuming the asterisks on the game titles denote cameo or otherwise minor appearances. If so, then I assume you meant to point out Zero's cameo in Sonic Advance 2's special stages, but the page reads Sonic Advance 3 instead.

Other complaints would be the random distorted sprites here and there for no good reason (seriously, why not just 1x or 2x? Why 1.5x?), the general lack of humor (no Rouge boob jokes? Though I did admire the blatant sarcasm such as the Soleanna article.) and the fact that you use "du jour" a lot.

I also really like how you have lots of cool illustrations I'd never really seen before, but then again you're still missing lots others. (You really can't come up with a shot of Prison Island? I guess this can be attributed to the "beta" state".)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Okay, so Eggman Nega and Blaze confuse the fucking hell out of me. Didn't Sonic Channel go with the "alternate universe" version from the Rush games? Seriously, any official clarification on that matter?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Nice job, overall.

However, In the Professor Gerald article, you mention he was sentenced to death by Firing Squad. I believe he got the electric chair. In the video at the end of SA2, he is tied to a chair, a voice yells "ready!" and then the colors get distrorted.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Okay, so Eggman Nega and Blaze confuse the fucking hell out of me. Didn't Sonic Channel go with the "alternate universe" version from the Rush games? Seriously, any official clarification on that matter?
The idea I got was that Blaze and Silver originally came from the future of Sonic's world, but during the events of Sonic 2006 Blaze seals herself in an alternate dimension, saving her butt from the whole time paradox that happens in the end, presumably also setting up Sonic Rush, which introduces Blaze as the princess of an alternate dimension. Plus, it'd explain where a whole set of Emeralds cropped up from, though their name seems to have a direct correlation to "Soleanna".

But mostly it's just my attempt at writing Silver out of existance forever.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Neo wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:Okay, so Eggman Nega and Blaze confuse the fucking hell out of me. Didn't Sonic Channel go with the "alternate universe" version from the Rush games? Seriously, any official clarification on that matter?
The idea I got was that Blaze and Silver originally came from the future of Sonic's world, but during the events of Sonic 2006 Blaze seals herself in an alternate dimension, saving her butt from the whole time paradox that happens in the end, presumably also setting up Sonic Rush, which introduces Blaze as the princess of an alternate dimension. Plus, it'd explain where a whole set of Emeralds cropped up from, though their name seems to have a direct correlation to "Soleanna".

But mostly it's just my attempt at writing Silver out of existance forever.
Actually that's what I believe as well, at least due to lack of a better explanation.
Eggman Nega being both Robotnik's descendant from the future and from an alternate dimension makes no sense at all though. Unless that "alternate dimension" IS the future, but nobody actually knows where or when they are.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I think Nega went back through time and traveled to said alternate dimension somehow, then lied about being from there. He's a lot craftier than Eggman, you know.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Green Gibbon! wrote:C) revealing that I've actually just spent a year writing a goddamn dictionary on the Sonic universe.
This is probably the best reason. That said, I'm really enjoying going through this thing. It's goddamn thorough, if nothing else.

EDIT: Jesus Christ you even included stuff from Sonic 06. I'm sort of impressed.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Y'know, Gibbon, I've often wanted to ask you...do you seriously have all these game systems just to play these Sonic games and get all this information? Or do you have friends with the consoles and you just borrow it for a little while?

And if you do have all these consoles and handhelds, where in the sphincter of Hell do you possibly get the money, or even the time?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

When you have a hobby, you spend money on it. It's that simple.

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Ah. I see.

In that case, I won't even bother with my queries concerning storage of said entertainment systems. Hell, if I can keep stuffing Ring of Honor DVDs into my tiny place of ownership, I'm sure Señor Butt Cheese knows how to pile consoles up.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

See, this is the reason why I came to GHZ in the first place; for a reprository of Sonic information with a sarcastic editorial slant. I don't mind your issues with what I consider canon, because I realize that you wrote this as you wish it, not the community in general, and thus are more likely to skirt around Eggman's surname (as Sonic Channel does, so I've heard).

Very good overall, but I'm looking forward to its growth.

It's also encouraging to see that you've at least investigated the more recent Sonic games, meaning that there may be a slight chance of a museum update in the future.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

The Doc wrote:Señor Butt Cheese
Butt Cheese-san

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Green Gibbon! wrote:spent a year writing a goddamn dictionary on the Sonic universe
With many more years of writing to come. I hope you're looking forward to it!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, but those are going to be good years, right? Right?
do you seriously have all these game systems
Actually, at the moment, I have at least 2 of each active console and I guess I'm going to have to buy another PSP when the 3000 comes out.

Not that I'm a nerd or anything.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What do you do for a living again? It mystifies me how you afford to eat sometimes.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

That stuff is like eating a box of sodium.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

I have a 6-page report on lean manufacturing due tomorrow, but this thing just claimed the rest of my night.

I can't believe there's so much information about the Sonic universe that I just DIDN'T KNOW.

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Image
Why don't you just cut out the middle man and shove kidney stones up your hoo-ha so you can pee them out again later?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

And candy. I also eat inordinate amounts of sugar-based foods.

So you see, it balances out.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Finally, a Sonic encyclopedia thats worthwhile. Sonic HQ's is to full of factual errors, and wikipedias Sonic articles are just plain unreadable. They usually go something like: "Shadow the hedgehog is a dark hedgehog that looks like sonic the hedgehog from the sonic the hedgehog series but is dark black and has red stripes and use hover stakes instead of running. he was creted by Dr robotnik, eggmans grandfather, fifty years ago. in episode 64 of sonic x he tried to kill cosmo but tails stoped him cause tails loves cosmo or atleast many fans say he does. shadow can also become hyper shadow."

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think Shadow actually has the longest entry in the whole stinking thing.