Master System Suggestions

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Master System Suggestions

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

So yesterday a buddy of mine decided to give me his Sega Master System with Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I probably wouldn't had bothered to buy one, but since I got it for free I thought I minus well get some games for it.

I trust most people's opinions here moreso than all those random "Top 10" articles without any real support for why they chose the games they did. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

(And sorry if there's been another thread on this going way back that I somehow overlooked.)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: Master System Suggestions

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The first Sonic the Hedgehog, whilst lacking as a Sonic game, is a solid 8-bit platformer and arguably superior to its sequels. As far as Master System games go it's a must.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

That has generally been my impression of the Master System library, all the games that come to mind that were particularly notable all were downgraded ports of Genesis games. I guess the original Phantasy Zone is significant, but what else should people be remembering from the Master System besides its improbably long life cycle in South America?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Sonic 2 is rather fun, and Sonic Chaos is great as well. I prefer them over Sonic 1 gameplay-wise, but you should get that anyway if just for the utterly amazing music.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver wrote:I guess the original Phantasy Zone is significant
I'm guessing you mean Phantasy Star, rather than Fantasy Zone.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Wonder Boy II: The Dragon's Trap is one of my favorite Master System games. Well worth a play and it still holds up fairly well although it does feel a bit like "Metroid Lite" at times.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Psycho Fox. For the love of God, if you have any dignity, get Psycho Fox.

Also, California Games munched away a lot of my time.

I had loads of games for the thing, but I can't actually remember which ones. I still have my Master System and all it's games packed away in my cupboard, but I can't be arsed to get it out.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Crazy Penguin wrote:I'm guessing you mean Phantasy Star, rather than Fantasy Zone.
I meant Phantasy Star but was thinking Fantasy Zone. I really like FZ but there are way better ports of it than the SMS version.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Thanks guys! I'll have to check out the suggestions so far.

I might get Sonic 1 just to have a Sonic game for it, but the rest of the Game Gear/SMS Sonic games I was interested in I seem to already have in one form or another (mainly Sonic Gems Collection).
Gaz wrote:Wonder Boy II: The Dragon's Trap is one of my favorite Master System games. Well worth a play and it still holds up fairly well although it does feel a bit like "Metroid Lite" at times.
Do you mean Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap or Wonder Boy II: Wonderboy in Monsterland?

So how are the other Alex Kidd or Wonder Boy games? Is Shinobi worth bothering with? Anyone here try Zillion or Golvellius?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

gr4yJ4Y wrote: I might get Sonic 1 just to have a Sonic game for it, but the rest of the Game Gear/SMS Sonic games I was interested in I seem to already have in one form or another (mainly Sonic Gems Collection).
They're a lot more playable with the higher resolution though.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:Do you mean Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap or Wonder Boy II: Wonderboy in Monsterland?
I meant Wonder Boy III. I just made a slight typo.
So how are the other Alex Kidd or Wonder Boy games?
The first Wonder Boy wasn't that great. Never played the second one. Of the Alex Kidd games Miracle World was by far the best one. Most of the others are crap although Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is pretty good.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

The first Wonder Boy is just Adventure Island by another name, isn't it?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Land of Illusion. The pinnacle of 8-bit platforming.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Wonder Boy in Monster World (Wonder Boy V Monster World III in Japan), you know the one where you buy items and spells, there was a Genesis version, but only in Japan. Alex Kidd in Shinobi world is a good game, but only if you like Shinobi and Alex Kidd...

"The Sega Master System port was significantly different. It featured downgraded graphics, fewer and shorter stages, and a complex password system (approximately 40 digits in length) rather than a battery save. Because of its content reduction and inferior hit detection it is considered by many fans to be the inferior version. However, the game is considered to be one of the most advanced Master System games." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy ... ster_World

And of course, you just have to get the Ghouls 'n Ghosts Master system version, unless you have the playstacion version

"Sega released a Master System port in 1990. This 8-bit version features an exclusive power-up system that allows player to enter secret areas and upgrade parts of their armor. This includes helmets which gives the player access to new weapons and magic spells; chest armor which extends the player's energy points; and boots which increases the player's speed." I have it^^, the real game, not emulation or anything info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghouls_%27n_Ghosts

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Arcade wrote:(Wonder Boy V Monster World III in Japan)
So I just looked up some information on Wonder Boy and it turns out it's the most fucking confusing series ever.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Crazy Penguin wrote:So I just looked up some information on Wonder Boy and it turns out it's the most fucking confusing series ever.
Tell me about it. Wonder Boy 6: Monster World 4 features a Wonder Girl

The Master System is one of my favorite consoles. I've got some picks.

The Zillion series - The first one is nice. A bit like Metroid with a huge map and some backtracking. The second one is awesome with bike/robot levels and platforming.
Fantasy Zone 2 - That one and Fantasy Zone: The Maze are SMS exclusives. If you don't want to wait for the PS2 version coming out, get it and play it. It's hard as hell.
Phantasy Star - Still my favorite in the series.
Black Belt - Pure walk and punch gameplay. Killing goons here is like popping bubble wrap.
Psychic World - Great platforming. Awesome music too.
Alex Kidd - I think the only one I don't like is the Lost Stars one. All the others are near perfect.
Super Cross - Some nice bike cross game. I remember having a lot of fun with this one.
Castle of Illusion - I liked it better than Land of Illusion, and the Genesis version. Some great songs here too.
Wonder Boy - The whole series is awesome.
R-Type - It's R-Type. You can't be wrong with that.

Hmm... I must be leaving some out. But you should like at least five of those.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Castle of Illusion was quality. Like Sonic 1 it shared the plot, characters and level themes of the Mega Drive version, but otherwise was a completely different game. Master System also had one of the better Bubble Bobble ports.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Putt and Putter is a pretty amusing golf game. I know I've spent hours playing that thing. Other than that, I'd say the three Sonics and Alex Kidd. Not really much else I can remember.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

For some reason I don't like the 8-bit Sonics, except for Triple Trouble.

I forgot to mention Double Dragon. The Master System version is lots of fun. Also, you might want to try some nice Light Phaser games like Assault City, Gangster Town and Rambo 3.

If you have the 3D glasses, then Space Harrier 3D and Maze Hunter 3D are pretty cool.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

How are the 3D glasses? I imagine they start to hurt after a while like the Virtual Boy, although I don't know why I assume that.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I can't stress enough how much you should all be playing Land of Illusion.