The Clone Wars

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. Watson

The Clone Wars

Post by Dr. Watson »

Now, you might ask me why i would start a topic about a new Star Wars movie, when the quality of the franchise in its current state is so decrepit. But then what the hell are you doing on a Sonic the Hedgehog board?

Anyway, lets discuss this new films cons and other cons. My own opinion is pretty much just that it sucked in every way, from it camecube cutscene style animation, to its uninteresting, unimportant, unengaging story. It felt like they could have done something interesting with the initialy troubled relationship between Anakin and his new apprentice, but instead they just resolved that issue within the first 20 minutes of the film. But i guess i kind of liked how they gave the droid soliders more individual personalities. Their comic relief stuff sure was a hell of a lot more marginally funny than Jar Jars.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: The Clone Wars

Post by Ritz »

I liked how every single line spoken in the TV adverts was an attempt at a witty one-liner. So much so, in fact, that I no longer feel compelled to see the movie proper, as I'm quite positive that they successfully managed to cram every one-liner in the movie into those adverts. Where's the incentive now?

It's gonna be a long night, guys.

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

With all of the money Lucas has made off of the prequel trilogy and how much he'll probably make off of this, it makes you wonder how many yachts Lucas has by now.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

The best thing I've heard about this movie is that it wasn't as horrible as it could've been. Too bad it still has a 19% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

No chance I'll be seeing this, in theaters or ever.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Locit wrote:Too bad it still has a 19% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes.
Hahaha, DAMN.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Shitty outsourced Singaporean animation is shitty.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Radrappy wrote:Shitty outsourced Singaporean animation is shitty.
Would you expect anything less from an animated film post eighties?

I'm getting a free ticket from a friend to see this shit so I'm going to attuned.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I heard the movie "Fly Me to the Moon", that movie about flies in outer space, made more money than this. Just saying.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Maybe Lucas will learn we had enough of this franchise.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

I deserved that slice of humble pie.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Well open up for seconds, because
Malchik wrote:
Radrappy wrote:Shitty outsourced Singaporean animation is shitty.
Would you expect anything less from an animated film post eighties?
Why yes , yes I would , actually .

Also, the damn Clone Wars animated series, while we're at it, was fantastic, and apparently everything this movie isn't.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

I'm retracting my comment because Wallace and Grommet was great but you can pick out any shinning stars from a medium that in a generalization is poor in earlier standard. But I did enjoy Hanna-Barbara's Clone Wars. I didn't much care for the styling however.

Edit: I'm also hearing some talk that this movie will branch out into another series of animation. Any word?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I thought this film was borne out of preparation for the show.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Gotta keep up! This is where the fun begins.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Malchik wrote:Would you expect anything less from an animated film post eighties?
Shit dude, where were YOU during Disneys second golden age? Comparing, say, The Lion King to almost any American animated film from the 80s is like comparing vintage champagne to cat pee mixed with olives. Unless that film happens to be one with Don Bluths name on it ofcourse, then we can talk.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Hey now, I remember The Fox and the Hound, The Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver and Company being quite enjoyable.

As for The Clone Wars it made about $15 million over the weekend. Not sure how good or bad that is looking at the film's budget.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

You'd think that with the advantage of animation they'd do another story with Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia and all the other characters people actually liked. I don't even particularly care about Star Wars, but how much story can they try to squeeze out of emo teenage Darth Vader?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I'd have rather had Episodes VII, VIII and IX at this point. It's like they're trying to adapt every piece of formerly non-canonical supplementary material to ever be written for the franchise in existence.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Dr. Watson wrote:
Malchik wrote:Would you expect anything less from an animated film post eighties?
Shit dude, where were YOU during Disneys second golden age? Comparing, say, The Lion King to almost any American animated film from the 80s is like comparing vintage champagne to cat pee mixed with olives. Unless that film happens to be one with Don Bluths name on it ofcourse, then we can talk.
It could be said about all of Disney’s direct to video, Korean outsources sequels like Bambi 2 or that new Little Mermaid abortion.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Cliffs Notes version:

Malchik: No good animation happened after the 80's.
Watson: Yes there was, here are some examples.
Malchik: There were bad ones too, so please ignore how ignorantly sweeping my first statement was and concede that I'm right.

Also, a brand new Star Wars film gets out-performed at the box office by a month-old Dark Knight. That should say something.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

A lot of 80s cartoons sucked.

A lot of 90s cartoons sucked too.

I'd say both decades had about the same proportion of good and bad cartoons, although off the top of my head the only great Disney movie from the 80s was The Little Mermaid (which shares a decade with The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, & Oliver & Company).

Also, Don Bluth sucks. His 80s efforts were better than his 90s efforts, but they still sucked. I may have to rewatch Secret of Nimh to make a more accurate statement, but after watching The Land Before Time and An American Tail in more recent times I've realized they were rather bad. Before that, nostalgia made me remember they were good. But they're not.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, Don Bluth movies are really mediocre. I mean, good animation, but you can't really save a piece of shit story and annoying characters with fantastic art.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I dunno what to say on the whole matter. I fondly remember Don Bluth's films for their art style, but I haven't seen any of them in the longest time. Are they really worse than what's out these days?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wouldn't say worse, but they're less "Bad in a cheesey we hired celebrities to play wise-cracking animals", and more cheesey in a saccharine, sentimental, childish way. I'd say it's equally bad, but bad of a different breed.