Yu Suzuki silently left Sega, Simon Jeffery is an asshole

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Yu Suzuki silently left Sega, Simon Jeffery is an asshole

Post by FlashTHD »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... ega_a_.php

Within those four short (really) pages of PR speak with our good chum Simon, there is doubletalk:
But anyway, starting with the Sega Gamers Day two years ago was when I was really struck by a different feeling that was coming from the company with things like Condemned 2. They were games that felt very iconic -- not very traditional Sega, but it felt like the company was building toward a new, "This is the kind of entertainment you can expect from us."

SJ: I would say that's a great observation, and thank you for that. It makes me feel good, because that's absolutely what we set out to achieve. I think that our ability to be successful is really down to being different from the big players. So much product these days is safe and formulaic, and therefore not particularly creative or interesting.

Sega's never really been the company to do that, so we've really tried to not seem like a mini-EA or a mini-Activision or anything like that. Games like Condemned, whilst not being traditionally Sega, we want them to feel like Sega, as part of the new look company.
An interviewer missing the gist:
And with a game like Sonic Unleashed -- this is perhaps too much digging down into one game, but it's still kind of telling a story and trying to make Sonic a different thing than he is, which is just a guy who's blue that goes fast
(protip, brandon: HEDGEHOG, for starters)

There is backstabbing, following by knife-twisting:
What about Secret Level?

SJ: Secret Level was a little technology house that was just down the road from us that was a pretty small company. They were building Golden Axe for us anyway, and we decided that we wanted to start an internal studio in North America.

So we went through all the motions of looking to hire studio heads and looking for office space and looking to hire producers. Then we suddenly realized that we've already got 40 people who have got a strong technology background already building a game for us.

It would be way more cost-effective and efficient to build them out, so that's what we did. We acquired them for a pretty small amount of money and built them out. If we hadn't done that, we wouldn't have been able to get Iron Man to market in the timeframe that we did.

Iron Man was qualitatively not what we wanted, but it's a game that was built start to finish in 14 months, and that's in the power of the studio to be in a great position to be building products going forward in a really strong manner.

Do you think that Secret Level can be built into a triple-A studio branch -- maybe you have a different view of them than I do?

SJ: Probably not a triple-A studio, but I think they're absolutely capable, with the right people, of building product that scores in the 80s, absolutely. They're not a Creative Assembly and they never will be a Creative Assembly, but as a work-for-hire studio, they've got some great assets, some really strong technology, a strong tools pipeline, and they're one of Sony's preferred developers on PlayStation 3, because their technology's so good.

And we're absolutely able to make the most of that. I think the design side of the studio... they don't have world-class designers, but they do have world-class technology and world-class art.
And finally a revelation, that is if he actually knows things:
Speaking of names, what has happened to Yu Suzuki?

SJ: Last I heard, he was doing some online stuff in China.

He's spearheaded an arcade racing title. Is he just really off in his own world?

SJ: Yeah. He's kind of his own man right now. Every now and again, he'll come up with an idea, and I don't think anything has come out of that yet, but we're still working with him. He's not an employee anymore, but...

I wasn't sure if he was still actually a Sega employee.

SJ: Not as far as I know.
Whatever you come to believe of all of this, just know i'd not be suprised if the new Golden Axe suddenly ships with enough bugs to make Sonic 06 shiver. Just 'cause.

Bonus quote from the article comments:
Anonymous wrote:As one of the designers at Secret Level I have to say that Simon Jeffery's statement about us is one of the most shockingly unprofessional things I've ever seen in an interview.

As a group we've been sacrificing our personal lives and health to ship products for Sega. We didn't expect thank yous, but we definitely never expected a slap like that.

There's more I could say about his statements, but I'll hold my tongue because it wouldn't be professional to discuss these things in a public forum.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: Yu Suzuki silently left Sega, Simon Jeffery is an asshole

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So Suzuki did split, then? I've suspected that for a while, but I couldn't find any information. I wonder what he's doing exactly if he isn't with another company.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

I think the "arcade racing title" they're talking about is something called Sega Race TV. If I remember games™'s review right, it was an AM2 project.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So we finally found the guy responsible for Sonic being a sword-wielding werewolf with a twenty pals?

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

I'm more concerned about the straight up contempt for their developers. It's bad enough to demand games to be developed under horribly restricted deadlines, but to then insult the workers, claiming they'd never make a triple-A game is so mind numbingly cold.

I would claim it's strike worthy. Also, Total War isn't that good really...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Indeed, how could any compassionate, decent human being think so lowly of a studio with such an amazing track record.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Indeed, how could any compassionate, decent human being think so lowly of a studio with such an amazing track record.
Or one trying to get there.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Indeed, how could any compassionate, decent human being think so lowly of a studio with such an amazing track record.
We're talking about someone who is CEO of SOA. I think compassion went out the window years ago.
What are the duties of a "Creative Officer"?

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Kotaku wrote:Sega president Simon Jeffery appeared to have misspoke on the employment fate of famed game designer Yu Suzuki when he told Gamasutra that the Outrun creator was no longer employed at the company. Turns out, he is!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I would love for Sega to not be thought of as the Sonic company.
Now it makes sense why they are burning the Sonic franchise to the ground.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Really, who cares? Things like Iron man for the wii made me realize that Sega can still do good games, as long they arent Sonic games and other company forces them to do it right.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'm getting sick of every media outlet (including forbes?) interviewing this guy like he actually makes games. He doesn't.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Honestly, the instant Suzuki leaves Sega becomes the instant the company lose ANY redeeming value. Which it already has very little of.

PS: the Iron Man game sucked

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Arcade wrote:Really, who cares? Things like Iron man for the wii made me realize that Sega can still do good games, as long they arent Sonic games and other company forces them to do it right.
Didn't the Iron Man game get mediocre reviews? :confused:

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Did you people leave your grains of salt to take Arcade with at home today?

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

Yes, I usually keep it in my pantry.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I want to believe that, despite Jeffery's crude comments, they're really trying to shape Sega up into a company that is capable of delivering better quality games, instead of rushing them out the door. I guess we'll have to wait about a year to see if he can actually deliver.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Jeffery is a cool guy. I like him.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Segaholic2 wrote:Jeffery is a cool guy. I like him.
Really! So what free stuff is he giving you, smart guy?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Robot hookers. Everyone at Sega Nerds gets fantastically advanced robot hookers.

No, you can't have any.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Are there any plans for massive production of these "robotic hooker" units, or are them still too early in development?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Yami CJMErl wrote:
Arcade wrote:Really, who cares? Things like Iron man for the wii made me realize that Sega can still do good games, as long they arent Sonic games and other company forces them to do it right.
Didn't the Iron Man game get mediocre reviews? :confused:
The Wii Iron man is one of those 60% score games that are only fun if you love the characters, you know, like the Playstacion Digimon world, and I love Iron man, so I like the game.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

A good hard slap to the first person who tries to make sense of Arcade above.

Related news: How in the hell did next to nobody catch this? It came up during the SAGE chat with Eric Iwasaki (akira3d) from Naughty Dog:
<Shadix> So, as you know, I initially contacted you with regards to Sonic the Hedgehog pioneer Hirokazu Yasuhara. How was it like working with a guy like him?
* Joins: MarkEchidna
* Shadix sets mode: +o MarkEchidna
* Joins: SageGuest
* Quits: Ssbfalcon|notrealIP
* Joins: SageGuest8
* Quits: SageGuest
<akira3d> Working with Yasuhara-san was great. He laid out the gameplay for one of the bosses that I worked on for Jak 2. He produces these awesome little drawings that have so much character just to illustrate his vision for what is going to happen in the stage.
* Quits: Raqib12
* Joins: SageGuest
* Joins: Ssbfalcon|notrealIP
<akira3d> I was sad to see him go.
<Shadix> Why did he leave?
* Quits: Kiddo
* Joins: Luigi
<akira3d> I'm not entirely sure...I know he liked working with us
* Parts: Luigi
<akira3d> But I know he was going to be working with friends he had worked with in the past too
* Joins: Kiddo
* Joins: SageGuest9
* Quits: SageGuest8
<Shadix> alright
<jman2050> Sonic Team reorganization?!?!?! (lol)
<Shadix> holy smokes, that question ignited a fire
<jman2050> so I'm up, right?
<akira3d> Uh...he didn't go back to Sega
<Shadix> Yeah
<Shadix> He went to Namco Bandai

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

So he's working with some people he's worked with before and working for Namco Bandai. Who has he worked with before who works at Namco Bandai?