Super Potat Swag

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Rob-Bert

Re: Super Potat Swag

Post by Rob-Bert »

I must have some pretty fucking huge hands, since I'm able to hold the controller at both ends instead of the middle, allowing me to cover every button.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Segaholic2 wrote:
The Doc wrote:My rebuttal:

Your Honor, I rest my case.
Your case fails because unlike the N64 controller, two-handed human beings actually have immediate access to all functions of the 5200 controller instead of just 2/3rds of it at any given time.
At least the N64 controller...y'know...WORKED on occasion.

Meat

Post by Meat »

Rob-Bert wrote:I must have some pretty fucking huge hands, since I'm able to hold the controller at both ends instead of the middle, allowing me to cover every button.
I always held it that way too, to the scorn of my comrades...

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I found the N64 controller more functional for FPS games (ones that did it right) then any other controller. The singular c buttons emulated keyboard strafing quite well, other then being reverse of course.

Plus only on the rare game like Mischief Makers did you ever need the cross pad.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

And you certainly didn't need to use the stick at the same time.

I never had any problems with the controller in the three N64 games I liked!

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I don't think there was a game that required you to use both at a time. Usually all games were stick based on the exception when you used the cross pad for some functionality like switching weapons or world map or what ever.

Thinking back I believe the Dreamcast controller was more awkward to me.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

The original controller for the Xbox is the most awkward controller I have used. There were several instances where I hit the wrong button due to the buttons being so close together and poorly placed.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

PS1/2/3 controller. Or more specifically, its diabolical d-pad. Whoever had the idea of disconnecting it and splitting it in four on the surface should be stoned with PS3s. Seriously, it's utterly useless for 2D games! It hurts your thumb and makes diagonal movements nearly impossible (or at least painful and extremely inaccurate)!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

P.P.A. wrote:PS1/2/3 controller. Or more specifically, its diabolical d-pad. Whoever had the idea of disconnecting it and splitting it in four on the surface should be stoned with PS3s. Seriously, it's utterly useless for 2D games! It hurts your thumb and makes diagonal movements nearly impossible (or at least painful and extremely inaccurate)!
It's really not that bad! And you can thank Nintendo, who copyrighted the original d-pad design and forced every other company to use a knockoff design. Somehow the Dreamcast pad avoided this.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Yeah, but the A/B/X/Y buttons were terribly placed on the controller instead of the D-pad sucking, which I don't find that good a trade-off. And not a single one of my controllers registers anymore, often giving me a "please insert the Dreamcast controller" message. It's the only video game system I've ever owned that does that kind of shit.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Locit wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:PS1/2/3 controller. Or more specifically, its diabolical d-pad. Whoever had the idea of disconnecting it and splitting it in four on the surface should be stoned with PS3s. Seriously, it's utterly useless for 2D games! It hurts your thumb and makes diagonal movements nearly impossible (or at least painful and extremely inaccurate)!
It's really not that bad! And you can thank Nintendo, who copyrighted the original d-pad design and forced every other company to use a knockoff design. Somehow the Dreamcast pad avoided this.
I don't mind that. Otherwise SEGA might just have copied Nintendo's design, then we wouldn't have had the (JP) Saturn's utterly perfect one (which was far superior to every one of Nintendo's designs anyway).

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Those controllers are really unsuitable for people with small hands. I could never reach the analog stick as a child, and instead had to use that god-awful d-pad when playing PS1 games.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Yeah, but the A/B/X/Y buttons were terribly placed on the controller instead of the D-pad sucking, which I don't find that good a trade-off. And not a single one of my controllers registers anymore, often giving me a "please insert the Dreamcast controller" message. It's the only video game system I've ever owned that does that kind of shit.
I never really had any trouble with the action buttons, and it's really odd hearing them registered as a complaint. I only ever have trouble with the analog pad's lack of rubbery grip when I go back to it, and that fades pretty quickly. Plus, the DC pad was the grandfather of the glorious 360 pad we know and love today!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

And the D-Pad's even crappier on the 360! A true successor in every aspect.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I remember the second Xbox controller's (the 'S' one) directional pad not sucking, at least not as much as the 360's. Am I wrong?

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

It was decent enough, though I think the controller as a whole was far less comfortable and had a fairly unintuitive button layout.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

While it still should be easy to find at eBay, I think it'd be way cooler to just enter a Japanese store and bump into one of these.
Also, I think I'll start watching Bamboo Blade right now.