/Banjo Kazooie reference

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: /Banjo Kazooie reference

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Esrever wrote:I lick gerbil nuts.

CM August

Post by CM August »

So the lead designer of the Banjo series actually took part in an arranged online chat with a few fans. Refreshingly, it contained some very good questions and excellent answers.

In all honesty, it seems the game's shaping up to be an incredibly awesome experience. The only downside is that it completely pulverizes almost everything I loved about the Banjo series.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Too many vehicles, not enough platforms. Show me the Jiggies, yo.
Jiggies are obsolete. That Will Smith song is too old to be effectively referenced. We need something new and hip, somehow alluding to Banjo pimping his new ride. Perhaps "blingies" or "spinaz".

Dash

Post by Dash »

With it being an almost different game entirely, I feel kinda like I did after seeing the Rayman 4 trailer and then finding out it was turning into something else. Fun though it was, I really just wanted another Rayman 2(even another 3 so long as they let them speak Raymanese again) and it sounded like Ancel was ready to deliver before the dev team decided to go the mini-game route. Granted, this concept has a lot more going for it than just "minigames lol" but I hope we see a proper Banjo-Threeie eventually. This thing seems like some wild spiritual sequel to Diddy Kong Racing.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

Esrever wrote:All a Banjo Kazooie game has to do to be ruined is exist.
Could be worse.

It could be Donkey Kong 64, Take 2.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

God dammit, I liked DK64. It takes a lot of fucking work to figure out where to put all the shit they managed to cram into that game in a coherent manner.

CM August

Post by CM August »

DK64's a good game, but subsequent attempts at playing through it is hard for me. I think the color-coded items for each exclusive character is what does it. In a sense, there's too much of a good thing.
Then again, this is from someone who can barely sit down to play anything anymore.

That said, I find the bosses very replayable. There are times when I switch the game on just to watch the cutscenes and then fight K. Rool.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

I'm sure they have the best of intentions, but I guess it feels like Rare picked up a few bad traits from their old friend Nintendo. As in, taking a perfectly legitimate/fun game and instead of making new characters, slapping "Mario" on it.

I can't say I overly enjoyed him calling the platforming genre "stale and boring"!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

In spite of all that, I think this game has a shitload of potential as far as whatever the hell kind of genre it can be classified as. It can do nothing but expand from here, and to tell the truth, it rightfully should've been the kind of game LEGO was striving to put out.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Truth be told, Lego Racers came pretty close to this sort of concept. And although it was entirely cosmetic, it was still cool to drive a cart you made yourself.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Yeah, but that was just another racing game in the same vein as Mario Kart. This new Banjo is a full-fledged adventure with some elements of the platformer. LEGO has a shitload of potential for more than that, let alone a racing game.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

I'm still waiting to hear more about that ridiculously cool idea for a Lego MMO.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Heroic One wrote:I'm still waiting to hear more about that ridiculously cool idea for a Lego MMO.
http://universe.lego.com/ ?
Yeah, I am so buying this. I loved to play with LEGO when I was younger but I recently had to move with my parents into a smaller flat so I don't have space for it any more. (I used to have an entire room dedicated to it.) :(

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

text filler 15: It all went downhill after the first game...

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Demo up now. Preorder for game also nets you code for free XBLA version of original Banjo Kazooie, which will have S&S content with Nuts & Bolts.

Content: Banjo Kazooie N&B Demo
Price: Free
Availability: All Xbox LIVE regions
Dash Text: [ESRB: E10+ (Everyone 10+) CARTOON VIOLENCE,COMIC MISCHIEF] Build awe-inspiring vehicles and tackle the Jiggy challenges in any way you see fit! Show your creations off over Xbox LIVE.
Size: 1.07 GB

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I tried it. Vehicles are really hard to maneuver when you're not just trying to get from point A to point B, thanks to a very odd turning radius and perhaps over-the-top analog sensitivity. Made the soccer minigame kind of hard, even despite using the vehicle blueprint explicitly designed to hold balls. Also, that Jinjo-launching one I swear is impossible...

Still on the fence about a pre-order. At this rate, I might skip it and just get the XBLA game (or ask for this game as a Christmas present, who knows).

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

So, you can't improve the vehicle's controls by adding or removing parts? In the case of the soccer minigame, it wouldn't surprise me if the game expected you to add to the base blueprint to get the most out of it. Also:
Shadow Hog wrote:the vehicle blueprint explicitly designed to hold balls

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I got a chance to play the game yesterday at Eurogamer 08, at the Rare stall no less. Had a pretty cool time with it, but I think it's one of those things where you need a good sit-down go at it. The scale of everything is pretty crazy, there was this whole city of people to talk to, and the vehicles aren't so bad, I'd just like to see more missions that don't involve picking something up in your car and putting it somewhere else. Looks the tits, though. Graphics are lovely, and the music and sound effects are all classic. They've just pulled a bit of a Jak 2 with it, and it might not be too bad of a thing. I'd say it's a rental at worst.

They gave me free stuff 'cause I was nice about their games. Also, I was mesmerised by Louise Ridgeway's delectable accent. Rare are nice people.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Shadow Hog wrote:I tried it. Vehicles are really hard to maneuver when you're not just trying to get from point A to point B, thanks to a very odd turning radius and perhaps over-the-top analog sensitivity. Made the soccer minigame kind of hard, even despite using the vehicle blueprint explicitly designed to hold balls. Also, that Jinjo-launching one I swear is impossible...
Try using sideways springs on the jinjo.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

The demo's amusing. I'd probably rent the game, knock it out in a weekend, and never speak of it again. It's a charming little game, but I don't really see it having longevity.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Shadow Hog wrote:the vehicle blueprint explicitly designed to hold balls
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of Mr. Bucket after reading that.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

So this comes out tomorrow. Who will be picking this up?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I am.

Pre-ordered it. Brother kind of wants the game, so it's a Christmas present. But, if that's what I'm doing, I might as well get the N64 game for my effort, no?

Incidentally, the port of that is really good, although there's a bit of slowdown around water. :|

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I hear the Notes don't regenerate if you die, making it easier to collect them. The downside is that if you play Bottles' Bonus Puzzle Game before you enter a world, the Notes collected by the Banjo in the moving picture won't regenerate either, preventing you from getting all 100 once you enter the world yourself. Strange glitch, isn't it? Makes you wonder what kind of kooky programming techniques Rare used for certain parts of the game.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Makes you wonder what kind of kooky programming techniques Rare used for certain parts of the game.
Not really. Of course the bonus puzzles used gameplay, not like the N64 could handle real video (Poke'mon Puzzle League aside). 4J studio's changing of how note collecting works & failing to do through testing is just laziness.