Earthworm Jim 4 announced

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Earthworm Jim 4 announced

Post by Zeta »

http://gaygamer.net/2008/04/early_bird_ ... hworm.html

Too bad Doug Tenaple is the world's biggest misogynist. I remember a woman once getting into an internet argument with him and he responded to everything with "Your stupid female brain doesn't understand my argument about you having a stupid female brain."

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Esrever
Drano Master

Re: Earthworm Jim 4 announced

Post by Esrever »

Doug is an artist in a kind of unusual position. He's a politically conservative, devout Christian with some pretty traditional views. That puts him pretty far to the right of the majority of the EWJ fanbase -- people who were kids in the 90s and it's relatively leftist, hyper PC culture.

I think it's that gap between him and his fans that has result in his exaggerated reputation as a fundamentalist right-wing nutcase. But that's not really fair. I don't agree with him about a lot of things -- those were my friends fighting with him in the argument Zeta mentioned -- but he's still a intelligent, thoughtful dude and a really amazing cartoonist.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

No one can believe this, especially because there was never a game called “Earthworm Jim 3”. Next time try something like “OH my god, a new Earth worm Jim game?.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's Arcade, Isuka. Since when does he ever say anything right?

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

You mean like how there was a Jaws, a Jaws 2, and a Jaws 4, but never a Jaws 3?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Shadow Hog wrote:It's Arcade, Isuka. Since when does he ever say anything right?
I don't think he* was expecting him* to; it's just that having someone who says inaccurate things like clockwork is really pointless if the first person in doesn't get a crack at some witty and insulting form of correction.

*Assuming you're both male. I'm unsure of about 80% of you ever since the Ngangbius revelation, and it's never fun to get one's gender wrong. Just ask the androgynous woman I met last week, with whom had a nice discussion that I immediately ruined when I introduced her as a man. A date is probably out of the question.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Well, sometimes I trick myself into believing there's some hope for him, but yeah I felt like doing it.

And dear, I totally can't believe you think I'm, like, a girl or something. Because, like, you know, I'm into boobs and gear and boys stuff, how could you!! I'm going back with mom, screw you and all those losers you call friends! Oh, and I HATE Green Day, I was faking it all!!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

...what?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Re:

Post by Delphine »

Isuka wrote:Because, like, you know, I'm into boobs and gear and boys stuff
Yeah, well, so am I.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

DackAttac wrote:...what?
Of course, that was a perfect example of an utterly broken attempt at sarcasm oversaturation.
Whatever. I'm male.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

http://www.offworld.com/2009/08/return- ... lay-g.html

It's a download title for XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. I was hoping for something big, oh well.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Probably going to cut and paste together the scraps of the PSP game.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I never knew about this: http://www.genesispoll.com/

Blast processing!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Opa-Opa wrote:I never knew about this: http://www.genesispoll.com/

Blast processing!
Whoohoo, we get to decide which game Digital Eclipse Backbone gets to piss all over next! Talk about preying on the unsuspecting.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

The Genesis version of Earthworm Jim was better than the SNES version.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

The Sega CD version was better than either of those. Point?

Also, the new game is being developed by Gameloft. IIRC, they're the ones behind the Unleashed phone port. Take this as you will.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Gameloft make all sorts of shovelware for phones. It's like the mobile version of Nintendo.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60057

It's a remake of the original.

Also were is the DVD box set of the Cartoon, god dammit?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Shadow Hog wrote:The Sega CD version was better than either of those. Point?
I just felt like being inciteful.
I never played the Sega CD version but you're probably correct there.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

What do you suppose the odds are that the remake of Earthworm Jim will look uglier than the original? To this day it's still a gorgeous-looking game... if it wasn't for the lower resolution, it would be indistinguishable from any modern-day 2D game.

The Windows 95 version was pretty slick... it had all the extra stages, animation and music of the Sega CD version, but with all the visuals respectfully touched up to 256 colours.

The SNES version was just frustrating... the music was enhanced, but the folks responsible for the port randomly changed backgrounds and colour schemes for no reason, and screwed up some of the character animation cycles so that frames of it were missing.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Esrever wrote:The SNES version was just frustrating... the music was enhanced, but the folks responsible for the port randomly changed backgrounds and colour schemes for no reason, and screwed up some of the character animation cycles so that frames of it were missing.
snes is beter ur a troll fanboy

Personally I would rather just a new game. I was really excited when I heard about Jim's new rival Tapeworm Slim.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I always felt the SNES version, based primarily on the enhanced sound, was the better version, that always just made the difference for me (the SegaCD version even sounds like it uses the same music from the Genesis version--what the heck?). Since it released on the Genesis and SNES simultaneously (if not darn near simultaneously) I am not sure one could really argue that one was a "port" of the other (it wasn't really farmed out to another developer, was it?), especially as far as music placement and color selection goes. All I can say for sure is that I think the Genesis Peter Puppy stage is depressing compared to how good the SNES version looks and sounds.

I was not aware of any animation errors in the SNES version, is it documented anywhere?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, I always thought the SNES version of For Pete's Sake was the more "depressing" one, in terms of color schemes. The Genesis, Sega CD and Windows versions all have a bright, peppy (if a bit garish) color scheme, centered around warm hues like orange, purple and red; the SNES one, meanwhile, focuses on cooler hues, like blue and cyan, resulting in a slightly colder, more depressing look. Oddly, it's the only stage with any such notable change.

Really, though, I find that out of the two main versions, the Genesis version wins out by default for having all the content of the SNES version (if at the cost of lower sound quality and color count), while shoving in an extra stage. A good extra stage, in fact. A stage that, really, would've been in the SNES version, if Shiny hadn't run out of cartridge space (not sure how that one worked out, honestly). Then Sega CD tops that by adding a new weapon (which only has ammo as far as Big Bruty, annoyingly), FAR superior audio, and another extra stage (although I'll be honest; I was never fond of Big Bruty, stage scared the shit out of me as a kid, and even now it still sticks out like a sore thumb from all the other stages). Then the Windows 95 version tops that by taking all of that and sprucing up the color count. Plus you could play as Hatman. Why wouldn't you want to play as Hatman?

The sound quality for the SNES music is easily better than the Genesis version, but it always bothered me how the orchestra hits in "Psy-Crow!?" were off-key compared to the Genesis/CD soundtracks. I think that's the only major difference... also I find it odd how the SNES version of Earthworm Jim has unique sound effects from all the other versions, while the sound effects of all versions of Earthworm Jim 2 are based off of the Genesis version's; even the SNES version. That doesn't exactly make sense, but eh, consistency.