What if there was...more??

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dasher

What if there was...more??

Post by Dasher »

Sonic XG,

Be on the lookout, this guy is building a fan game so cool you wont belive your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsWL3HBm9c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP4reIH1LhA

That, Sonic Retro and Sonic Nexus are on my Fgame radar..also Tikal and Chaos is looking pretty fantastic.

Its good to see people can still make fantastic fan games still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a02ZZLQr ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilcrejlY ... re=related

DackAttac

Re: What if there was...more??

Post by DackAttac »

My answer from reading just the topic title: I guess I'd need to buy bigger jeans.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php? ... =8862&st=0

Here is..."more" :razz:

its looking quite charming...its sad when youre looking foward to fangames more than official games.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

That music. Were they trying to recreate the Sonic 2 boss theme and just failed miserably, or were they trying to make a new one but had absolutely no creativity? That music is so bad that I automatically hate this game and everyone who has even looked at that video. Myself included.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Black Rook wrote:

That music. Were they trying to recreate the Sonic 2 boss theme and just failed miserably, or were they trying to make a new one but had absolutely no creativity? That music is so bad that I automatically hate this game and everyone who has even looked at that video. Myself included.
Wow, way to be a colossal asshole. Holy shit.

Neo

Post by Neo »

>>85127
/b/ is that way, jackass.

Incidentally, this is pretty old. That demo (which has been out for a while) was the last release of the project in it original MMF version. Sonic XG and Retro-Sonic are now joining forces via the mighty power of lock-on technology to create Retro Sonic XG, which will feature content from both ends. Screens of the merge have been posted on Sonic Retro a while back, go check those out.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wow, awesome team up! thank you so much for the heads up. I figured it was old, but I never heard about it! :shock:

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:
Black Rook wrote:

Wow, way to be a colossal asshole. Holy shit.
But it really isn't all that good! I mean, the melody itself is dull enough, but then they had to go and saturate the whole thing with a gratuitous helping of scratchy YM2610 vocals. Poor boss music aside, the rest of the soundtrack is catchy enough, and what we're getting now is still worlds ahead of the screamo cockgrunge we were originally going to get, so let's just count our blessings and move on.

On the subject of the actual game itself, well, the MMF version's controls were so dysfunctional that I couldn't be bothered to complete the demo, which means I never got to see much of the boss fight; I really love how the Death Egg descends several seconds into the battle, and the ensuing cutscene is equally as impressive. But my point is that the controls sucked really hard- the merger with Retro was really the best thing that could've happened to this project. Nexus needs to merge with Retro, too. Every fangame should merge with Retro, because it's the only game out there that manages to get everything remotely right.
Last edited by Ritz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simmerl

Post by Simmerl »

Oh, a Mac version.
Maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm just too lazy to boot up Windows just for the sake of fan games.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Wow, way to be a colossal asshole. Holy shit.
Did I break some kind of forum taboo?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

I think he's still yet to grasp the fact that he's posting on The GHZ. Be gentle, okay?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ritz wrote:Nexus needs to merge with Retro, too. Every fangame should merge with Retro, because it's the only game out there that manages to get everything remotely right.

*slams head over toilet*

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

FlashTHD wrote:*sniff*
Name me one 2D Sonic fangame other than Retro and (Presumably) ProSonic that's got at least 80% of the Sonic physics down.
Last edited by Ritz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Black Rook wrote:
No, you just look like an asshole.

I guess it's just the difference between the jaded, crotchety old gamers on this forum who are "Back in My Day"ing about Sonic 1 and... well, normal human beings. "Zomg, it doesn't absolutely 100% replicate the nostalgic Genesis Sonic experience or live up to my impossibly high standards! I hate myself and want to die! "

That's how your crazy overreaction looks in my eyes. Settle down, son. It's a fangame, you don't need to take it that seriously.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:
Black Rook wrote:

I guess it's just the difference between the jaded, crotchety old gamers on this forum who are "Back in My Day"ing about Sonic 1 and... well, normal human beings. "Zomg, it doesn't absolutely 100% replicate the nostalgic Genesis Sonic experience or live up to my impossibly high standards! I hate myself and want to die! "

That's how your crazy overreaction looks in my eyes. Settle down, son. It's a fangame, you don't need to take it that seriously.
That's not eeeeven fucking close to what it was.

When I was talking to a friend about Sonic Megamix on MSN, he had a slightly more cynical view of this whole fangaming scene, but after that above, I won't immedeately disagree:
Jonni Ax'handel says:
It suffers from what all the best suffer from: Nothing better so it gets no real criticism
("Best", as in, hacks that go all out with new shit like megamix)
Ritz wrote:Name me one 2D Sonic fangame other than Retro and (Presumably) ProSonic that's got at least 80% of the Sonic physics down.
Well, at the least, you coulda found a better word for it than "merge". With...this thing...a "merge" looked like it amounted to "trick some sod into letting me slide chunks of my game into his cause it was spur-of-the-moment and I couldn't be assed to find another way; people will cream their pants over it anyway, whee".

But anyway. Tax's supposed to be releasing a devkit for the Retro Sonic engine when he finishes it. Which makes that Custom Levels option look all the more curiously useless...
Last edited by FlashTHD on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

FlashTHD wrote:
BlazeHedgehog wrote:
Black Rook wrote:

That's not eeeeven fucking close to what it was.

When I was talking to a friend about Sonic Megamix on MSN, he had a slightly more cynical view of this whole fangaming scene, but after that above, I won't immedeately disagree:
Jonni Ax'handel says:
It suffers from what all the best suffer from: Nothing better so it gets no real criticism
("Best", as in, hacks that go all out with new shit like megamix)
I guess it's just the view of an outsider, but that's not how I see it at all. To somebody who's part of a community who makes this stuff, to us it's a raise in our standards - the bar has been set even higher (and closer to the real thing).

To other people, I guess they see it as a step down from the real thing. And while I can see that, they don't have to be so angry about it. It's to the point where games like Sonic XG are approaching a level of quality where I'd hope even the grumpier GHZers might be able to appreciate it. Even though a post on SFGHQ just got stickied where I say not to go around saying stuff like this, some of these fangames like XG are getting within the ballpark of the real deal.

And it just seemed like Rook's post was there only to rip any slight imperfection to shreds (like the music) when the quality something like Sonic XG exhibits is far better than the worst commercially available Sonic games available today. I thought the boss music was a clever throwback, stylistically, to the Genesis stuff. As somebody who makes fangames of his own, XG currently represents some of the best-of-the-best from the community and to see someone so readily trash it is a little offensive, to me. They have no appreciation to what's going in to making something like that.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Fair enough, but I think you've taken my comments a little too seriously. Did you honestly believe that I was suddenly some self-loathing monster now because of some wonky boss music?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I know you do it so, if the 'offender' changes or edits his/ her post there's some kind of proof of it, but all this quote of a quote of a quote thing is pissing me off a little.

I know I can't be objective in this matter either, but I'd like to see some of these fan-games finished, completed. I don't really care if they are missing some physics or if they have bad music, ripped music or no music at all; I want to check out the stage layouts and even story coherence and stuff, that would probably make things easier for the developers because they could receive players' feedback on bugs and stuff that maybe escape the physics themselves.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think there is a certain amount of perceived threateningness in seeing a really good fangame. Something I've noticed that is essential to a game's success is it's relevance, and fangames are certainly relevant to Sonic games but at the same time, it's easy to dismiss them because they tend to not be very good, and even if they were very good their overall relevance is still pretty insignificant. I think there's actually quite a bit of resistance to the idea that some guy from the internet is going to come along and make a new Sonic game, especially in a case like this where it's continuing directly off of S&K. Everyone has their own idea of how a new Sonic game should be, and in the face of one that's actually pretty good, they're gonna be looking for things to pick at. Further, if just anyone can come along and reproduce what is, apparently, a defining moment in your life, then that's a bit threatening too.

Personally, I'd like to see this effort spent on original projects, but then, I spent the better part of my free time the last two weeks drawing Sonic 1 fanart, so I know how hard that can be..

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

I think I gotta play the XG game now just just to get context as to how a fairly simple looking robotnik fight a few miles away could destroy the Death Egg.

Neo

Post by Neo »

The Death Egg had already been destroyed. This is set directly after S3&K, as the Death Egg is falling down to Earth. The first level in the game is The Doomsday Zone.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So the fangame takes place between Doomsday Zone and the credits?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I hope they're hardcore enough to remember that, after Sonic and Tails' story in 3&K, goes Knuckles own against some Egg-Robo/ Mecha Sonic MKII.

On a somewhat related note, the Sonic's moveset table in the S&K museum page looks out of place (at least viewing it in Opera)... and that strange analogy kinda looks like a haiku.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Re:

Post by FlashTHD »

Isuka wrote:I hope they're hardcore enough to remember that, after Sonic and Tails' story in 3&K, goes Knuckles own against some Egg-Robo/ Mecha Sonic MKII.
Seeing as the island gets obliterated one full zone in, i'd say they fan-retconned that one...until the good ending, maybe.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Is Knuckles' story taking place after Sonic's really common knowledge outside of this forum? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.