What were the hardest games you ever played?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I can beat the first two levels on Ikaruga without gettig hit once... But that third level... ugh, that third level grabs me by the head and skull fucks my brains out.

Yeah, Fire Leo is a bitch. I can beat him on Kids, and I never even bothered to attempt him on Adults. Anybody that can beat him on V-Rated should look into playing another game.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, but can you get an S ranking?

My friend Mark spent a couple weeks playing nothing but the first stage over and over again until he finally made a perfect run. He quit playing the game altogether after that. :P

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I say we get CE to row.

CE

Post by CE »

Segaholic2 wrote:Yeah, right. Like I'm going to believe you've done either.

And if you really have, then you have absolutely no life.
Fire Leo is actually pretty easy to beat when you listen to his signals. He'll roar differently depending on if he's going to swipe high or low. Beating Leo by reflexively dodging is one of the most exhilerating experiences I've ever had playing a video game.

I will admit that beating Ikaruga in one credit with 3 lives is impossible (unless you are employed by Treasure to make the Appreciate Ikaruga DVD).

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Fire Leo is a whore. I may have only beat him on Kids, but it was after drinking 8 pints of Snakebite. For those unaware to our wacky English customs, that's lager and cider mixed together in a fruity, foamy concoction of death.

I was quite proud of my achievement, so I gave myself a pat on the back. Then I think I fell down the stairs.

Searching

Post by Searching »

1. Super Mario Bros #3
2 and 3. Sonic Spinball (BOTH versions)
4. Super Mario Sunshine

aso

Post by aso »

Earthworm Jim. The first, not the second.

New Junk City is rather easy, but What the Heck is where the difficulty ramps up. Plenty of hooks, spikes, and fire bursts to keep you on your toes, and the goddamned running on a crystal exercise always gets me. The Peter Puppy stage isn't as hard as it could've been... but everything related to Bob the Goldfish (manuevering that little dirigible through water) and Professor Monkey-for-a-Head (those labs were murder) strained my fingers.

The second, on the other hand, was a lot simpler and more forgiving in terms of the areas. Although The Villi People could be challenging in those tight intestinal quarters, the rest of the game was easy as pie.

shadowman

Post by shadowman »

1.dead to rights
2.hitman 2and3
3.any megaman game

Anon

Post by Anon »

Speaking of hardest games and Mega Man (again)... has anyone here touched the Zero series on GBA? >>;;

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I touched it. Then I washed my hands. So. Damn. Repetitive.

Parn

Post by Parn »

1) Radiant Silvergun - The legendary overpriced Sega Saturn game. Awesome gameplay, best graphics on the Sega Saturn (I'd argue the PSX too, but that's another discussion), outstanding musical score, and ridiculously hard. Anyone can kill everything on the screen, it's a question of whether you can chain AND manage to stay alive.

2) Ikaruga - See: Radiant Silvergun. It is Project RS-2, after all.

3) Kid Chameleon - Old Genesis platformer that had a ridiculously large assortment of levels. I managed to beat it once, but only because I was armed with a game genie and an inability to die. This game is difficult to the point of absolute stupidity.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

I remember Kid Chameleon. It was freaking impossible. No continues, no password system, no nothing. I vaugely remember enjoying the second level and then dying alot.

shadowman

Post by shadowman »

kid chameleon isnt that hard, ive beaten it a couple times easily.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Now seriously...it´s impossible to beat Sonic Spinball!!
And does anyone ever tried Megaman X6´s last stages?!

CE

Post by CE »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Now seriously...it´s impossible to beat Sonic Spinball!!
And does anyone ever tried Megaman X6´s last stages?!
Megaman 3 was the last game in the series. And that's final.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Kid Chameleon wasn't really all that hard, just too freakin' long.

On a side note, has anyone played the original Phantasy Star? Now that was hard: working your way through bloody first person dungeons, trying to work out what to do next from tidbits of text, and of course, putting up with the lame (and grossly repetitive) soundtrack. Anyone who has completed that game without some form of help deserves a cookie.

Are Mega Man games that hard? I don't find them too bad, apart from Mega Man Zero (but then I use save states :lol: )

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Fire Leo is actually pretty easy to beat when you listen to his signals. He'll roar differently depending on if he's going to swipe high or low. Beating Leo by reflexively dodging is one of the most exhilerating experiences I've ever had playing a video game.
Indeed. Has anyone here beaten it with Alastor? That manual Henshin-ing is a serious pain in the ass.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

You mean you have to press a button to to turn back into your super form if you use to much VFX? That would suck. Oh and to whoever said Sonic Spinball was a bitch, it really isn't. I have not beaten it however, the closest I got was the 4th stage, which I think is the last, and to get some of the final emeralds you had to break like 3 bars that were blocking your path. I got 4 of the 5 and had one more bar to break and died. I don't think I've played the game since then, that was like 8 years ago or something. It's only hard cause you can't save your progress.

Chaos Control

Post by Chaos Control »

#1. Sonic 3 (thanks to Green Gibbon!, it won't be much longer)

#2. Metroid Fusion

#3. that one Mario game in Super Mario all stars similar to the first game.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

Has anyone actually beaten that game?

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

Has anyone actually beaten that game?

Yeh, I beat it, but it was on Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (where it is unlocked by getting 300,000 points on original mode). It's bloody hard, and just plain unfair: Mario obiously hadn't perfected his jump. However you get to save after every level in the Game Boy as opposed to every world in the SNES, so I guess my achievement isn't all that great.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Dude... you can save after each level when it comes to Lost Levels in All-Stars. That's the only way that I completed the game. Haven't touched it since. >>;;

type02

Post by type02 »

At the moment I'm finding sonic heros hard, you trygetting off your ass and plugging in game cube to play such a shitty game.
I also found spyro 4 hard, i mean damn, just so hard to keep going.

Other games I found hard were:
Harry Potter 1(ps1) well it was lame....
Monsters inc, the first game I ever found hard, by hard I mean refuse to play if you dont know what i mean yet.

I find the final boss in ff legends 2 hard but for another reason.(haven't killed him yet)

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Harry Potter 1(ps1) well it was lame....
Monsters inc, the first game I ever found hard, by hard I mean refuse to play if you dont know what i mean yet.
Duh. 99% of all videogames based on movies suck retarded monkey ass. I don't even consider them to be videogames, really. More like digital trash.

chriscaffee

Them Hard Games

Post by chriscaffee »

Ecco

This one is obvious and it's been mentioned a bit in this thread. The problem with the second one is it doesn't make any sense and the problem with the DC version is that you have only the most obscure clues, you have insanely powerful foes (typically one-hit killers that you cannot defeat) and you have to do some glitchy (neverending process) puzzles and time jumps perfectly (atlantis, fifth crystal). It's just insane though very fun.

The Lion King

Ah the Lion King. Nothing like a jump button that either randomly catapults you across the level or makes you hop forward a mere step. Combine that with the bloody falling logs waterfall platforming and other such ridiculous challenges and you have a damn hard game.

Descent

Descent records enemy HP when you die, and as far as I know, it is the only game where you cannot actually defeat a boss without dying. It's just flat out impossible. You can only carry five mega missiles, yet it takes some thirty to kill the last boss (who has infinite supply). Even if you bring in five from the previous levels, you still can't get more then twenty. Since all other weapons do minimal damage, you are guaranteed to die. Oh yeah, and the last boss can spawn other basic enemies at will. So have fun dying in a hail of concussion missile fire (imagine a rocket launcher machine gun) from a Class 2 Platform robot that just appeared out of nothing.

The seventh level sub-boss isn't any better. He uses multi-shot smart missiles that will kill you in a single hit. You, of course, don't have access to these missiles for another ten levels or so. All you can do is grab every extra life you can and pray. That's about it.