What were the hardest games you ever played?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wyvernlord

What were the hardest games you ever played?

Post by Wyvernlord »

Here's my list

1.) Alein Ressurection - Game is impossible, even on easy mode.

2.) Sonic 2 (GG) - Lack of continue points in levels. No rings when you confront bosses.

3.) Akumajou Dracula X68000 - Enemies in later stages deal large amounts of damage. I quit on stage 5.

4.) Sonic Spinball - Never made it past Level 3.

5.) Castlevania (NES) - Hard, though not as difficult as Dracula X68000.
Last edited by Wyvernlord on Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

1. Ecco: The Tides of Time
2. Ecco the Dolphin
3. Super Mario Brothers 2 (Japanese version. I played the version on Super Mario Brothers Delux for Gameboy Color. I HATE world 8)
4. Mega Man
5. Mega Man 4
6. Mega Man 3
7. Insert several other Mega Man titles here
8. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
9. Sonic Spinball (Genesis version)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear version. This game is truly unfair)

I would include Ecco: Defender of the Future, but I don't feel I've played enough of it to fairly judge it yet.

And I should note that while I wouldn't say Mega Man 7 is overly difficult (at least when compared to several Mega Man games before it), it's final boss is just friggin impossible to beat. I mean, I've fought it about a half dozen times so far, and the longest I've lasted is like 40 seconds! After Globeholder in The Tides of Time and Thunderbird in Zelda 2, I never thought I would ever encounter a more challenging boss until I fought this guy. I mean, I've been told it takes 28 fully charged mega buster shots to beat him, while he can take you out in like 4 hits, and his attacks are next to impossible to avoid.

Ecco 2 is definitely the hardest game I've ever played (though this might change when I get through more of the original Ecco). I mean, you have to perform so many actions that require surgical precison, and the slightest mistake means you have to start over again. And then there are those few levels that will anger you to the point where you will destroy everything within 20 feet of you. One of these is Dark Sea. It's bad enough that we have to deal with an auto-scrolling section where the screen scrolls much faster than you're comfortable with, changes directions very quickly and often without warning, and goes on a route that is full of monsters that take you down in three hits max. But once the screen scrolling tries to FAKE YOU OUT, then you realize just how sadistic this stage is. I mean, the screen will be going in one direction, then suddenly for no apparent reason change directions and start taking you the wrong way, and then quickly change directions again, leaving you a split second to react before you get crushed. This stage just about brought me to tears. Man, I cannot wait for the original's version of this, called Welcome to the Machine.
Last edited by Ecco on Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Weenies! Contra Hard Corps. is nothing short of impossible. It took me and EG like 3 days to get to the third level. And we didn't even see 100 feet inside that.

I'll also mention Wild Arms 3 just because it's so retarded that you'd have to be a certified lunatic to do anymore than drag it back to the store and demand anything (up to and including rabid camel spiders biting off your face) other than taking that back home.

aso

Post by aso »

Puzzle Bobble 2 and Enemy Zero.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Has anyone here ever beaten a Mega Man game? Honestly?

Anon

Post by Anon »

1. Ecco series

I haven't played that much of the series, but I do fondly remember my rentals of the original and Defender of the Future... and damn, but they were hard.

Btw, there's a time attack coming out of the first game. Won't be as impressive to see than someone playing straight through without the use of savestates and such, but I commend them on how many savestates they have to put together in order to finish the game.

2. Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan

The only reason I beat this game was because All-Stars had a save function. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I didn't even know there were warps until I saw it for myself in a time attack. @_@

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (not the arcade game)

I haven't touched this recently due to my NES controllers burning out on me, but the Technodrome kicked my ass before I had a chance to get destroyed by a much larger threat *coughShreddercough*, so... yeah.

4. Ninja Gaiden trilogy

I was deprived of the good games as a child... again, I've only dabbled into the originals, but these games are tough beyond recognition. I doubt that I'll touch the new Ninja Gaiden, with me not having a PS2 or any current systems and all.

5. Darius Gaiden (abnormal difficulty @_@)

I vote that this setting be renamed to "fucking insane". Even when I used nine continues and super rapid fire, I still had to switch to the next controller before all was said and done. And this was when I was decent in the game.

6. Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon (hard difficulty)

Don't remind me of this. I think that I may have suffered some trauma from getting my ass handed to me so much from the final boss. x_X

And although I've only played the first stage: Mega Man Zero 2.

Wyvernlord: I found Rockman & Forte to be damn easy compared to the rest of the series. o_O ...well, save the final boss, but even still that's far easier than the one in MM7. x_X

Anon

Post by Anon »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Has anyone here ever beaten a Mega Man game? Honestly?
I've beaten Rockman & Forte thrice. I should work on the other games. >>

Btw, I know someone that says he beat the original Mega Man games using his basic weapon. I might try that eventually... *smirk*

Edit: Forgot about the X series on SNES. Raped those as well.
Last edited by Anon on Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aso

Post by aso »

Mega Man 8. Easy as pie.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Mega Man 8. Easy as pie.
That's the one I haven't played. I think I also skipped out on X3.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Megaman 64 (Legends) Does that one count?
Btw, is it officially "Megaman" or "Mega Man"?

CE

Post by CE »

1. The original R-Type
It's like Gradius, but with a slower ship, less power ups, and NO WAY TO SPEED UP! If you have not memorized each stage, you're doomed.

2. ChuChu Rocket! (GBA)
Has anyone beaten all 2600 stages? At least three stages involve exploiting the glitch that mice don't get eaten when they're wrapping around. I probably never would have solved those puzzles if someone hadn't told me that "trick".

3. Magic the Gathering: Battlemage
And you thought Sonic Heroes was bad.
Take Magic, remove all the useful things (like knowing when your turn ends), but leave in all the annoying things (like mana burn at the end of your turn). Add in some crappy UI and non-existant balancing, and you have one of the finest games to be published by Acclaim.

Oh, and one more thing...
Spazz wrote:Btw, is it officially "Megaman" or "Mega Man"?
It's Mighty Kid.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Ecco: The Tides of Time is the only one in the series I've completed without cheating in some fashion. I always thought it was the easiest!

aso

Post by aso »

I nearly forgot. Rise of the Robots on the Game Gear was rather hard too, if only because it's so crap.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Serious Sam was pretty damn hard, but at the same time, pretty epic, too.

The Dragon Quest/Warrior games stand as some of the hardest RPGs I've ever played - generally I die on the first random encounter.

And of course, there's Metal Slug. Gradius anything. Ikaruga.

Those damn E-Reader SMA4: Super Mario Brothers 3 add-on stages will test your limits pretty well, too. ("Hey, let's line the entire castle floor with spikes, and the only way the player can get across is by hopping from enemy-to-enemy!")

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Any R-Type. The series is one of my favorite's, but they're all so damn hard.

Trog13

Post by Trog13 »

The Splinter Cell games are kind of hard. Just because if you do something wrong you get raped. It gets really easy once you figure out how to get to where you need to go.

Contra Shattered Soldier. This game is hard. I've beaten all the other major contra games, and I've been able to get to really far in Hard Corps without using a continue. I don't know if it was the last level, but the main bad guy in the game turned into some giant 2 headed monster and crap was flying everywhere and there was so much screaming. But my AC adapter loves to come unplugged from my genesis, so I didn't actually get a chance to die. I still can't get past more than 2 of the shattered soldiers levels. I think it's because they never give you any lives from points.

I haven't played Viewtiful Joe in a while, I'm at the part where you fight all the bosses in a row. Capcom loves that crap.

F-Zero GX got hard on the higher difficulty.

Timesplitters 2 had a lot of hard challenges.

Some of the songs you unlock at the end of Frequency were hard.

Bangai-oh was hard, I spent so much time on that last boss. That was insane.

I bought Ikuraga a while a go, I can do the first couple levels with huge chains, after that it kills me.

I remember Goemon's Great Adventure getting really hard, but my memory card deleted itself so I haven't played it in a couple years.

Megaman isn't hard, it just gets annoying because when you get hit you move backwards and fall off of stuff.

Teleroboxer for Virtual Boy was ungodly hard. Damn kangaroo and cat.

I can't think of anything else right now.

hello.jpg

Post by hello.jpg »

I did Mega Man 7, but the rest are far too hard.

Especially Mega Man and CUNTING Bass in which I've been marooned on Dynamo Man's level for far too long. I mean, how the fuck am I supposed to kill him if he keeps recharging?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Yeah...

I beat Megaman 2-8. Like people say, 8 was easy as pie, no doubt the easiest MM game ever (probably to cater to younger audiences, especially with it's squish and squash art direction). I'd like to say I beat Megaman 1, but I can only say that if we're talking about the Genesis Wily Wars port. I've noticed numerous subtle differences that makes MM1 actually a lot harder than the Wily Wars iteration.

Well, actually, I can't say I beat 7 without using cheats. I can get through the game just fine, but geez, Dr. Wily's last form is damn near impossible to beat.

I've also beaten Megaman X-X6.

I beat Megaman I - Megaman IV on the Gameboy.

And I've beaten Megaman and Bass.

I've never played Megaman Battle Network or Megaman Legends.

As for hard games, the last hard game I played recently and finished is Ecco: Defender of the Future. It's actually really cool, if you're willing to invest some time in it. The earlier levels take a realistic view of the ocean, but as the game goes on, things become much more surrealistic and it eventually becomes painfully beautiful. If anyone has ever gotten to this level called "Hanging Waters", they'll know that the level is fuckin' hard and that you'll die hundreds of times, but you'll forgive it because it's just oozing with breathtaking scenery.

If anyone has ever played Marvel Land (Namco) on the Genesis, they'll know it's extremely difficult. Not many people probably have the time and patience for Marvel Land, partly because if you get hurt by anything once you'll lose a life (as in there is no life bar, just one hit and you're dead). The game's very charming, and the villain King Mole used to give me nightmares (mainly because his theme song was really scary and terrifying)

I never beat Sonic Spinball, level three was just too much for me. My fingers started bleeding too, so that gave me an incentive to stop playing Sonic Spinball. I think Sonic Spinball was the reason my Genesis controller broke.

The Mario games usually have a tendency to be pretty difficult.

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

I've actually beaten Mega Man 1 on the Anniversary Collection, but that's the only one so far. Of course, I did make use of the handy autosave feature, but still, I beat all the robot masters in one sitting, and it took me several tries to get through all of the Wily stages. The first two bosses in those stages are rediculously hard to beat without cheating, and while the final boss is actually pathetically easy compared to most other final Mega Man bosses, the stage is rediculously hard, the biggest problem being when you have to fight the last four robot masters in rapid succession, and do not get any health recharges for beating them. I alway get torn up by Fire Man, and am usually hurting pretty bad by the time I finally reach Guts Man, and die very quickly there.

I've gotten to the end of Mega Man 2 and 8, but can't for the life of me seem to beat Wily's second form in either game. I can't seem to dodge his single attack during part two of the final fight of Mega Man 2, and I have difficulty dodging his attacks in eight because which attack he uses at a particular time in part two is totally random, and I'm usually hurting bad after the first phase because I can't for the life of me dodge his laser attack. Come to think of it, is it even possible to dodge his laser attack during the first part of the battle. And I've told the story of Mega Man 7 already. I'm also currently working on Mega Man X. It's not too hard so far, but it does have some particularly nasty bosses. Sting Chameleon is the hardest I've fough so far. Flame Mammoth gave me a few problems as well.

I actually did beat Sonic Spinball once from start to finish without cheating, but man, that took me the entire afternoon. I can blow through the first two levels in about an hour, but the last two just take forever. I seriously must have spent two hours in The Machine, and Showdown's emerald's are insanely hard to get.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

F-Zero GX didn't just get hard on the higher difficulties. It took me like a week to beat Chapter 3 of story mode on normal. You had to do that shit perfect, including boosting as much as possible at the end when there are three 90 degree turns. You guys should have seen me when I finally did beat that level. No one was in my house yet I still threw my hands in the air and yelled, "YES". I never even got past Chapter 5 I think, maybe 6.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I really really dug F-Zero GX, but in the end it just got to the point where I couldn't beat anything more on it. I'm not a racer guy at heart.

Wyvernlord

Post by Wyvernlord »

Anon wrote: Wyvernlord: I found Rockman & Forte to be damn easy compared to the rest of the series. o_O ...well, save the final boss, but even still that's far easier than the one in MM7. x_X
My brother's the better Megaman player. Some of the stages are easy to navigate while some are god damn annoying. (Burner Man I'm looking at.) Still I've gotten pretty far in it, so I'll axe it from my list.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Poison Eggroll wrote: Well, actually, I can't say I beat 7 without using cheats. I can get through the game just fine, but geez, Dr. Wily's last form is damn near impossible to beat.

The Mario games usually have a tendency to be pretty difficult.
Yeah, Mega Man 7 probably has the biggest difficulty spike in gaming history-- I beat most of the game in one sitting, and then suddenly, the last boss bends me over and makes a milk-shake in my un-l33t ass.

The only Mario game I had some difficult with was Mario Sunshine, specifically the next to last level (The level thats on the big tree thing with the fences underneath it)... That part of the game was so frustrating I often questioned if I was still playing a Miyamoto game. The last boss fight in that game however, was sort of a let down-- I think I had a harder time fighting the squid in the second level. That boat part in the last Volcano level was sort of annoying, though.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Sonic Heroes - Maybe it's probably because of my hatred for that game and my utter laziness to finish it,but so far, I've only manage to beat it with Team Rose (though Team Sonic is dead close). Maybe it's my lack of motivation.

Crash Bandicoot - Yes, the VERY first game was the hardest. I actually had to used the damn password system to get to levels that I found randomly on websites. I loved that it was challeneing (when opposed to other easy Crash games), but man...this game killed me.

Super Mario Bros.3 - Well, we (me and my sis) beat the game, but damn, we spent HOURS trying to get pass World 8. That thing killed me. World 7 too with it's mass of confusing pipes and mazes and other stuff of that stuff. Great game, hard to beat.
~Neo

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Squirrelknight wrote:The only Mario game I had some difficult with was Mario Sunshine, specifically the next to last level (The level thats on the big tree thing with the fences underneath it)... That part of the game was so frustrating I often questioned if I was still playing a Miyamoto game. The last boss fight in that game however, was sort of a let down-- I think I had a harder time fighting the squid in the second level. That boat part in the last Volcano level was sort of annoying, though.
I don't remember having too much difficulty getting any required Shines, aside from the ones where you didn't have your water pack. Those kicked ass though. The final boss was a let down, but it took me forever to get to that fucker. I dunno why, but I could not get that damn boat to do what I wanted. I ended up with like 50 lives by the time I got to him because you get two before you get to the boat part. Then I beat him on my second try I think.