Locit's Busy Day

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Locit's Busy Day

Post by Locit »

A warm, fuzzy tale.
What's this? From Frieza2000?
GASP! A SEGA PICO! I'D BETTER PLAY SONIC'S GAMEWORLD RIGHT NOW!
Oh my...
Ah. Well.
This was less fun than previously indicated!
Basically you push a button to make the Ai-ai's up the trees. Then Down them. Then up them! Then down them.
Push the button! Push it! Again! AGAIN!
Oh thank you merciful Lord.
So basically it's Mario Party.
This game took ten fucking minutes to complete.
You had to find a Flicky. It was fun.
Yes. Yes I do.
This can only end well!
Looking a little pregnant there, Tails.
TAILS IN GREEN HILL ZONE! TOTALLY AWESOME!
So really it's a bunch of touchpad minigames. Needless to say it's better than the majority of Wii games out there. Come to think of it you could probably entertain a bunch of senile retirees with this pretty easily.
I used to love Richard Scarry's Busy Town so much you guys.
Woooo! Pickle car! Wooooooooo!
You can play hide-and-go-seek with a bunch of retarded children and a monkey. It is about as much fun as it sounds.
I posted fiiiiiiiiiiirst!
That's about it. It was a pretty great way to waste 45 minutes, and I got to tell Holic to eat a dick via the magic of Pico. I think we can all agree a good time was had.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Re: Locit's Busy Day

Post by Segaholic2 »

>:(

WW

Post by WW »

I wish I could only have a day even half this magical...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

TIEM PARADOX!!1!

Totally awesome, just as expected. Thanks Locit.
BTW, you sit like a girl. :P

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'd say that this thread needs to be preserved in the Abyss, but I fear that it would not be able to contain the sheer epic-ness that is "Locit's Busy Day".

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

What a lovely new avatar you have there!

I used to love Richard Scarry's Busy Town when I was young kid too, which is why it saddens me to think that it is probably been affected by the horror that is rule 34.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Locit's kind of cute.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Don't jump to conclusions zeta. You haven't seen his mouth yet.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Radrappy wrote:Don't jump to conclusions zeta. You haven't seen his mouth yet.
Actually, we've seen Locit's entire face before. Zeta said he was hot in that thread too.

I'm surprised that it took over two months for delivery of Frieza's (now Locit's) Pico.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

It didn't, but there were some delivery problems that extended the wait. Then I was lazy and forgot to take the pictures for about a month, so I tried to make up for it with quantity. Frieza2000 is pretty much a stand up dude, sending it twice with priority postage and all that. Thanks again, Frieza!

And no hard feelings, 'Holic, as I'm giving it to you anyway.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Locit wrote:I tried to make up for it with quantity.
And quality. Congratulations on finding a way to make an edutainment system entertaining.

I've also still got a Tiger Game.com to get rid of if anybody wants to experience the worst Sonic game ever.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

(post)

Nah, I'm just kidding. If someone else wants to take one for the collective team speak up. Really though, worse than Sonic 360?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Frieza2000 wrote:I've also still got a Tiger Game.com to get rid of if anybody wants to experience the worst Sonic game ever.
I've always been curious as to what the deal with that game was. Was it just a Sonic 3 port? I'm pretty sure I saw a Tiger Game.com screenshot of something that looked like Sonic 3D, was that part of it?

aso

Post by aso »

I'd be willing to take one for the team in this case; I had a Game.com some time back, but it died by way of mysterious circumstances, and I'd always be willing to reacquaint myself with Tiger's horrible, horrible handheld.

So, yeah, that's a bid for the item if no one else wants it.
Crazy Penguin wrote:
Frieza2000 wrote:I've also still got a Tiger Game.com to get rid of if anybody wants to experience the worst Sonic game ever.
I've always been curious as to what the deal with that game was. Was it just a Sonic 3 port? I'm pretty sure I saw a Tiger Game.com screenshot of something that looked like Sonic 3D, was that part of it?
From what I can recall, the Sonic game in question was called "Sonic Jam" and supposedly had levels from the original four Sonic games. The game, unsurprisingly, was terrible; the characters retained their abilities, from what I recall, but the levels barely resembled the original models, and the game itself scrolled terribly.

So, yes, worse than Sonic 360.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Before you give it away Frieza2000 (or to whoever gets it), could you post a list of the levels (and if possible, a description of the ending and transcript of the credits)?

^_^

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Locit wrote:Really though, worse than Sonic 360?
Yes. I don't care how many hookers Shadow ran over or how many balls Silver knocked around or how many children NiGHTS molested. Playing Sonic Jam is as likely to give you brain damage as beating yourself over the head with it. Do not play if you have epilepsy or get easily nauseous.

The levels aren't old ported levels. The system couldn't handle them. They made terrible new levels. All of the box and commercial art is a flagrant lie. This video does a good job of capturing the momentum and control issues; here's one that actually finished a level.

"Sonic 2" is 5 levels with an Emerald hill backdrop, "Sonic 3" is 5 levels with an Angel Island backdrop, and "S&K" is is 5 levels of Mushroom hill. They're the kind of generic levels you'd expect to see in something like Ronald's adventures in Mcdonald land. There's a special stage (I'd bet money there's only one but I didn't confirm), which is leagues beyond the broken high speed segments of Sonic 360. Not only do you have to learn to compensate for the lag and the constant frame skip, but the controls just don't respond right. I don't think you can jump at all. I had to memorize it and the timing for hitting the turn button to finally beat it, and the only reward is points. My eyes hurt.

Smile, most of the info you want is in this FAQ, but not the credits. I don't have the manual either, so you might be out of luck there. But as for the ending:
The ending is a total cop out! At the end of any of the three game, you will
see the character you chose in a pose. There is a checkerboard background, and
words appear on the screen saying "CONGRADULATIONS!" and then they show your
final score.
I'll see about getting pictures of it.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Strictly speaking, doesn't this mean it should get its own museum page, rather than a comparison with the Saturn Sonic Jam? :P

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Frieza2000 wrote:The levels aren't old ported levels. The system couldn't handle them. They made terrible new levels. All of the box and commercial art is a flagrant lie. This video does a good job of capturing the momentum and control issues; here's one that actually finished a level.
That music was quite possibly the saddest thing ever. Like the cries of a starving kitten, but worse somehow. More dissonant.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

It's also the only music in the game and (I think) it plays uninterrupted from the menu to the end. Other than when it pauses to play a sound effect, of course.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Sniffnoy wrote:Strictly speaking, doesn't this mean it should get its own museum page, rather than a comparison with the Saturn Sonic Jam? :P
Strictly speaking, I concur. Have they still not emulated that thing yet?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Did I just imagine the Sonic 3D bit? I could have sworn I saw a Game.com looking screenshot of Sonic hanging from one of the big rings in an isometric level.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Did I just imagine the Sonic 3D bit? I could have sworn I saw a Game.com looking screenshot of Sonic hanging from one of the big rings in an isometric level.
No, I remember it too. I saw it on the back of the box. Maybe. I remember being disappointed upon looking it over by the fact that it wasn't a collection of classic Sonic games on the go but was apparently some weird amalgam with levels from a couple games including 3D Blast.

Of course now I know it was all lies. What a weird (and dishonest) little part of Sonic history we've stumbled upon!

As for emulation, I don't think there's too much demand to play Game.com in any way. Ever. At all.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

I always assumed the reason it didn't get a museum page was because you didn't consider it a real game, like Sonic X on Leapster, or because you put the game.com on the level of any other Tiger handheld trinket.

Oh, and I'll give it to Aso if no one else wants it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

My face might be like that too if my right leg and ears were suddenly decapitated.

...wait. Can we even say for sure he has a leg left? What is that sorry excuse for an appendage?

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

So I sat down with this again to get pictures. As I feared, there are no in game credits. To learn who's culpable someone will have to take a hit.

The box is worse than I thought; neither the screenshots nor the description are true.
jambox.jpg
jambox.jpg (175.02 KiB) Viewed 10761 times
sjamtitle.JPG
sjamtitle.JPG (86.97 KiB) Viewed 10764 times
sjamend.JPG
sjamend.JPG (128.38 KiB) Viewed 10760 times
sjamend2.JPG
sjamend2.JPG (44.78 KiB) Viewed 10759 times
I don't recognize that pose of Tails. Anyone know what it belongs to?

Some things I had forgotten:
-Knuckles can't glide or climb walls. He probably can't break rocks either, but I didn't care enough to find any.
-There are actually several background tunes, some of which even try to imitate actual Sonic music.
-There are 4 zones in Sonic 2, not 5. I didn't bother checking the other games.
-You can't jump over a single block of spikes from a standing start. At top speed, the furthest you can jump is two blocks.
-Walking into the side of spikes hurts.
-You can't pick up the rings you drop.
-It's physically impossible to win Sonic 3 as anyone but Tails. Remember that part at the end of act 1 where you enter a hollow tree and run up inside it? They tried to implement that, and the character does start to spiral up a bit when you hit the wall, but then you fall and from then on it's just an ordinary wall. The only way past it is to fly.
-The levels were plainly not designed for use with the broken physics. It's pretty much impossible to explore as anyone but Tails.

Aso, I'll send this to you soon.