NiGHTS: JoD is LAAAAME

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: NiGHTS: JoD is LAAAAME

Post by Radrappy »

Once you beat the game and can play through the missions without having to watch any of those piss poor cut-scenes ever again, the game becomes much much more bearable. Dare I say even fun?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:Once you beat the game and can play through the missions without having to watch any of those piss poor cut-scenes ever again, the game becomes much much more bearable. Dare I say even fun?
...that's about how the Shadow game is. Heroes too for that matter. Huh.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Mep wrote:I edited the link to go to the older version. Its all good right?
That one's alright, but I personally use the latest version because of the fixes and improved compatibility/ efficiency of the virtual SCSI drive. But, y'know, taking down the AIDSware before it finds its way into my PC.

And the few cutscenes that I watched of JoD were so horrendously hideous, they looked funny. I'd probably also play it without them after beating the game, but then I'd end up watching them again just to laugh out loud a little.
Yeah, I'm that of a twisted bastard.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Man, the next games might be Wii exclusive too. Or maybe he meant that they would develop a sequel to Journey of Dreams on the Wii and other unrelated NiGHTS games on other platforms?... yeah, right.

Actually, I shouldn't pay much attention to whatever Iizuka says, but you see, this place's fuckin' barren.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

So with, what, ten years of only one NiGHTS game, we're suddenly faced with a potential deluge?

That seems rather odd, but this IS Iizuka we're talking about. =/

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

With launch-week sales of under 20,000 units in both Japan and North America, I don't think we're in any danger of there ever being another Nights game.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Yami CJMErl wrote:So with, what, ten years of only one NiGHTS game, we're suddenly faced with a potential deluge?

That seems rather odd, but this IS Iizuka we're talking about. =/
A good commercial game is not made by only one guy, Ok?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

A moot point. Iizuka's been "Director" of HOW many failures at SEGA again?

NO, seriously, I lost count. :confused:

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I could be wrong, but I think Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog sold well enough to get Player's Choice/Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits. Except Shadow didn't get any Platinum Hits.

I haven't played Journey of Dreams, but if the general impressions are true then that's three games of questionable quality under his belt as a director/producer.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Wait, Iizuka wasn't responsible for SONIC 2006? :confused:

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Shun Nakamura. But Iizuka was involved enough to sit atop the Special Thanks.

On that note, I just found out the other day that he and Akinori Nishiyama worked voice acting direction (something like it anyway) on Riders. Could someone check if he's had his nails dug into Gems Collection too?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

FlashTHD wrote:Shun Nakamura. But Iizuka was involved enough to sit atop the Special Thanks.
Can you imagine being handed that sort of backhanded compliment? Granted, no one of any consequence would ever actually play the whole thing to see the end credits, but I still think I'd consider jumping off of a cliff. It'd be like getting a gold star from Stalin!

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

In any case, JoD's being lame can be almost fully blamed on the director, while Sonic 2006's complete and utter failure should be more than enough to be distributed all over its incompetent staff, perhaps with the exception of the CG movies' guys.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

But the CG movies are outsourced to a seperate company, which means the staff is shit throughout!

With the exception of the composer(s), anyway.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Let's not forget the management kooks, whoever they are. Too bad what role they have in making things suck is a little harder to confirm.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

From somebody who apparently has connections inside Sega, the ones royally screwing everything up are the Japanese execs. Not Sonic Team, not even Iizuka. The executives of Sega of Japan are just flat-out incompetent. They're the ones who demanded that NiGHTS talk, they're the ones who impose the ridiculous deadlines, they're the ones who've effectively been dragging Sonic to his grave. Essentially, these guys see what's in other games and think that a game MUST have these features in them, or else the game is crap... ignoring that extremely well-done games in the past lacked any voice-acting or cutscenes to speak of. Ignoring that NiGHTS was never about stupid platforming segments or a mission-based structure. Ignoring that adding these features where they're ultimately unnecessary may HURT the game instead of help it. They don't care! It's another bullet on the back of the box-art, and that extra feature will gain them millions! Who the hell cares if it makes the game worse?

But of course, saying you have connections inside a company is the oldest trick in the book, so take it as you will.

The Ghost Of Ember

Post by The Ghost Of Ember »

Shadow Hog wrote:From somebody who apparently has connections inside Sega, the ones royally screwing everything up are the Japanese execs. Not Sonic Team, not even Iizuka. The executives of Sega of Japan are just flat-out incompetent.
Even assuming this is true (which it probably is), hasn't incompetent executives always been Sega's problem? It's somewhat reversed from what it was before, but it's still the same old story. The old bad execs were terrible at marketing and business decisions but handled the games well enough. The new bad execs are good at marketing and seem to be playing the field well enough as a developer/publisher, just terrible at handling game development.

Really, the Sega-Sammy merger should have never taken place. It kept Sega from going out of business, but it it merely delayed the inevitable. It seems to me Sega-Sammy is more likely to become a pure publisher before it's execs actually heed critical and fan reaction.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Ritz wrote:But the CG movies are outsourced to a seperate company,
That company being Blur Studio, who made A Gentleman's Duel. Which was awesome.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Oh look, I'm back. I'm posting cause Segaholic yelled at me.

Anyway, this game sucks hairy diseased twat. I'm going to pretend this game doesn't exist, so my fond memories of NiGHTS aren't tarnished by this ugly, poorly controlling mess.

OK, that's all I have to say. I'll see you guys in a year or something when I feel like posting again.