Plumbers . . . IN SPACE

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Dewy is more or less a decent Mario game + Super Monkey Ball. His powers are very varied and creative and some of the puzzles that require you to use them are very charming. You'll fall off bottomless pits a lot because of the game's very nature, but it's usually not fatal because Dewy has tons of health and it only takes off one third of a single droplet. The jumping can be tricky, but the game never veers off into truly frustrating territory, usually managing to maintain a sense of fun. A lot of nice details can be found in the background thanks to Dewy's temperature changing powers which comprise most of the games puzzles - causing the water to rise by thawing out nice or raising the heat to cause volcanoes to explode.

The truly great part of the game are a series of HIGHLY creative looking and playing bosses. Really, I don't want to spoil a lot of them for you, but they're some of the most imaginative platformer bosses ever. A lot of them almost play more like Zelda bosses than anything.

My one gripe with the game is that it WILL tire out your arm. ESPECIALLY during the bosses. You'll have to play tug of war and fling bosses around with rainbow beams and such. It gets very tiring very fast, but it's a fun game to be played in spurts.

And the ending boss had to be both the most challenging and hilarious boss fight I've ever had.

Oh, and a fat Dewy being shot out of a cannon during a boss fight is my avatar, if you want an idea of how wacky some of these boss fights get.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Locit wrote:
Esrever wrote: Honestly, I would just say get them both.
Oh no, I'm definitely with you there. But if you've got to pick one in the immediate future, my excitement for Galaxy right now is miles above what it was for Corruption. And that was pretty high!
I can only get one. I unfortunately don't have the time nor the money to play through both titles.

I wanted a second opinion on this, since most of my friends in real life have answered my question with either:

"Why don't you just get Guitar Hero III?"
or
"You should get Brawl! I heard it was pretty cool! You think they're going to put Sonic in there? I can't wait to pwn some n00bs with MetaKnight! Yay! Oh, it's not coming out until next year? Well, that sucks! Are you going to that party at Cory's house next week?"

Neither one of these have really helped me with the decision.

I was playing through Jungle Beat this morning and couldn't help noticing that the back of the case claims there to be 40 levels in it. And while that's true, the game is rather short. Anyone know about how long Galaxy is?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Zack and Wiki is great.

Basically, it takes the control style and item-based puzzle solving of your classic Lucasarts point and click titles and grafts it to a very traditionally-structured, "Capcomy" videogame (ie: levels, boss fights, deaths, high scores.)

You're dumped into each stage with no explanation of what to do and nothing in your inventory. But everything you need to complete it is in the stage somewhere. You have to examine your surroundings, search for any available items, figure out how to make them work, and then use them to navigate through the stage.

What makes the game so cool is that you can't just force your way through the puzzles... you can't just randomly use items or press buttons or pull switches until you accidentally stumble your way through the stage. Because for every correct action in the game, it feels like there are hundreds of wrong actions that result in your grim, horrible death. You are freely given the option to do many, many things that, if you actually thought about them beforehand, are incredibly stupid and will almost certainly kill you. You can also inadvertently do things in the wrong order and thus completely screw yourself over.

Zack and Wiki rewards you for paying attention to your environment and using your brain. The correct solutions to the puzzles are not always easy to figure out, but they are almost always logical conclusions that can be reached entirely through observation and examination of the stage and its items. You just have to actually think about what you are doing. "Why am I pushing this rock down a hill? Is it to knock that tank of water into that pit? Do I WANT to fill that pit with water? Is there something else I should put in the pit first?"

It's the solid, logical puzzle solving that makes the game so satisfying to complete... and also, so infuriating when you get stuck. Once you finally find out what you were missing, it almost always seems obvious and almost always makes you feel like a moron.

As you'd probably guess, the pointer works fabulously for this kind of game. As for the motion controls, they are limited exclusively to the use of items, and actually add a dimension to the puzzle solving. Unlike most point and click titles, you have to figure out more than just where to use an item... you also have to figure out HOW to use it once you get there. What I've seen so far hasn't been especially complicated, but the motion controls for each item have usually been logical and have responded well.

WW

Post by WW »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I was playing through Jungle Beat this morning and couldn't help noticing that the back of the case claims there to be 40 levels in it. And while that's true, the game is rather short. Anyone know about how long Galaxy is?
From reviews, if you go for all 120 stars, it'll take up a good 30 to 40 hours. And then there's playing the game with your reward after getting those first 120 stars.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Well, I only played the first world (of I think five or seven worlds) of Dewy's Adventure so my opinion might not hold as much credibility as Zeta's, but what turned me off the most were the controls. Zelda's and Resident Evil 4's swishing didn't bother me at all, but Dewy's Adventure made me go "Ugh, I have to shake the remote now" and it became a drag every time I had to wiggle the remote to shoot Dewy out of a cannon or cause an earthquake or make windy winds. I'm going to chalk up my distaste to having to shake the remote while holding the remote like a controller. It's really more annoying to do than it sounds.

Besides that, I didn't particularly think much of the game. You can raise Dewy's temperature up or down in order to change the properties of Dewy and the stage to help you defeat badguys and whatnot and solve the game's puzzles. None of the puzzles ever struck me as stimulating or clever, though maybe the game's later levels might have some.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

From what Esrever says, it sounds a whole lot like ICO, only more complex (pretty much in line with classic graphical adventures, just like he said). Sounds cool.

And I don't want to get James angry, but Super Metroid doesn't have much to it after playing Symphony of the Night. I KNOW, it's a completely unfair comparison, but the fact is, there just isn't much to it if you have already played Konami's monster.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Shifting back to Mario for a second, this has some of the most effective uses of the wand I've seen yet. In addition to the frequent sweeping for Star Pieces (which sounds silly but makes for a surprisingly engaging mechanic), you can toss shells and bombs by flicking the wand, which leaves your left hand free for steering. It's totally natural and it lets you run in one direction while tossing in another. This becomes essential in some levels.

On the downside, I've discovered a "trick comet" that opens up annoying missions like time attacks and races against shadow Mario. These are Star missions, so you need to do them to get 100%. Hopefully it won't be overused. I would've really just rathered red coins.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Green Gibbon! wrote:On the downside, I've discovered a "trick comet" that opens up annoying missions like time attacks and races against shadow Mario.
Wasn't he revealed to just be one of Bowser's bastard children?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

The ability to run around while being able to aim and shoot stuff with the wand is, I think, a perfect opportunity to make a 3d Rockman game, which could really benefit from such controls.

It could go something like

d-pad=toggle between powers like in Twilight Princess
b=shoot
a=first person view or lock-on (maybe)

analog=move
c=jump
z=slide
Last edited by Cuckooguy on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Shifting back to Mario for a second, this has some of the most effective uses of the wand I've seen yet. In addition to the frequent sweeping for Star Pieces (which sounds silly but makes for a surprisingly engaging mechanic), you can toss shells and bombs by flicking the wand, which leaves your left hand free for steering. It's totally natural and it lets you run in one direction while tossing in another. This becomes essential in some levels.
I'm really relieved to hear that the waggle/IR use is complementary to the game and not just tacked on arbitrarily. I'm always worried we'll see another franchise game hurt by attempts to force 'innovations' into it's established formulas. (For example, having to use the touch screen to select your held item in New Super Mario Bros, despite the fact that there are five regular buttons free that could perform this function instead.)

I also totally agree with what Cuckoo said! Megaman or otherwise, I'm surprised we still haven't seen a third-person action game where you control your character with the joystick and aim his shooting weapon with the IR reticule.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Kinopio sent me a message on the Wii dashboard!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Want to know what he said?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

He said BUTT CHEESE

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Damn it, I was going to say that but you didn't wait long enough!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

So what's Toadette called in Japan? Kinopia?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Kinopiko!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Bloody hell, the fire flower is a timed power-up! 11 freaking years I've waited to chuck fireballs in 3D and Nintendo will only let me do it for, like, 10 seconds at a time!

WHAT THE HELL

WW

Post by WW »

bawwww~!

It's not that bad. XD

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Is that why you changed your subtitle?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'm digging all the Mario and non-Mario references thay've managed to pack into all the little planets in the game.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Bloody hell, the fire flower is a timed power-up! 11 freaking years I've waited to chuck fireballs in 3D and Nintendo will only let me do it for, like, 10 seconds at a time!

WHAT THE HELL
Fuck this shit, I'm canceling my pre-order.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Just kidding, I didn't even pre-order it.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I did. And I got a prerecorded message from Mario's VA last night telling me it'll be available today. It was awesome.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

... You know, for some reason I like the VA of SM64 better than the one of Galaxy. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the only game-related TV ads way back in 1996 through 1998 down here were all for the Nintendo 64, though.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

...Uhm, Mario has the same VA for both games. And all the games inbetween.