Plumbers . . . IN SPACE

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

So this game... this game is pretty good.

I am really enjoying it.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Shadow Hog wrote:They could have made green coins. I dunno, they have red, yellow and blue covered, but no green. It's just a thought.
Green was the frog coins in SMRPG.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Doesn't ring a bell, but it's been quite a while since I played <i>Super Mario RPG</i>, so.

Seriously, we're talking in terms of <b>years</b> here...

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Double-S- wrote:About Assassin's Creed

Not to turn this thread into an Assassin's Creed thread, I'll post my impressions after I've played a bit more, but why is everyone freaking out over that one damn clip of the retarded AI? That kind of thing has happened a few times in every large sandbox game I have ever played. You could kill a guard right in front of another in Oblivion and 95% of the time they'd freak out and chase after you, but occasionally they'd walk up and yell, "There's been a murder!" Same kind of thing happened if you kill a cop in Crackdown on rare occasion, usually not since the narrator guy was always watching you even if no one was around, but occasionally you could get away with it. I have yet to be able to assassinate a guard as close to another guard as in that gif, yet everyone seems to be using that as the sole basis on the entire games AI.

Anyway, back to Mario. I haven't really played anything on a Wii for more than 10 minutes until this game came out, I don't even have one, my roommate does. Is there some good way to hold the controller, cause I after a half hour or so of constantly aiming the Wiimote for the star bits and shaking it for the spin move I start to feel like I'm condemning myself to carpal tunnel.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Light Speed wrote: Not to turn this thread into an Assassin's Creed thread, I'll post my impressions after I've played a bit more, but why is everyone freaking out over that one damn clip of the retarded AI?
Because in the GameTrailers review he does it twice.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Light Speed, I usually sit with right my upper arm resting on either my leg or the arm rest of my couch. No need to actually hold that remote up in the air like those douches in the 'experience' videos, which is simultaneously less comfortable and less accurate. If anything, having your hands separate just makes it easier than ever before to slouch lazily.

Resting your arm on something also helps a bit with the shaking, especially since you don't actually have to shake it very hard. A quick wiggle should do it. But hey, if it still starts to wear you out, maybe try switching to shaking the nunchuk instead? That does the spin move too, it uses the other hand, and it'd be presumably less taxing because the nunchuk is so much lighter.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

(Incidentally, 11 stars in, my current rating of the game is EXTREMELY AWESOME out of 10.)

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

This game almost makes me want to go out and buy a 300 dollar Wii. It saddens me that I'll have to wait until after Christmas when they drop the price to enjoy such pleasures due to idiots wanting to simulate sports. I hated the N64 controller by the time I got the first Mario 3D game, so I never had a chance to properly enjoy Mario 64 either which'll probably make this seem even better.

And wiggling a plastic stick is hard work? Maybe someone really does need to invest in Wii Fit.

Also cloaked guys suck, especially ones in the middle east.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I wasn't saying it was hard work, it just started to hurt my wrist after awhile. I think it was because where I was resting my hand was too low for the tv, so I had to aim the wiimote up at a higher angle than normal to get most of the bits.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Kogen wrote:And wiggling a plastic stick is hard work? Maybe someone really does need to invest in Wii Fit.
Wiggling your arm with nothing in it is tiring if it has to be done rapidly and for a long period of time.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

By the way guys...

Beebeebeebebebee?

Beebee?

Beeeeeeebebebebe.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

17 stars in, amazing in general so far, though not without little niggles that have annoyed me here and there.

For a start as good as the orchestrated tracks are, I really wish Kondo had composed the entire OST or at least more of it (confirmed in an interview with the sound team he only contributed 4 tracks to the game, not out of choice either, he wanted to do more). Tracks like Honeybee Galaxy seem very disappointingly mediocre for a game of this caliber. The majority of the soundtrack has been great so far anyway though but I cant help getting this perfect image in my head of what a full Kondo OST would've been like (Good Egg Galaxy is one of the tracks he's confirmed to have composed).

Story progression has been a tad on the awkward side so far too and perhaps even a little too simple for its own good. So far I couldn't give less of a flying fuck about Rosalina or whatever and her irritating lumos.

Anyway despite those too amazingly negative sounding points, everything else is amazing so far.... I just don't want to harp on about the points that have been restated to oblivion everywhere else online!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

70-80 stars in. I'm digging on the hardcore platforming levels.

I've really loved the soundtrack so far without exception. What's been great I enjoyed, and what hasn't I'm fine with since the gameplay itself is so damn good. No problems with the story here either. It's so optional that I can't see faulting the game for it- I haven't gone in the library once!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's really too bad you don't get to use the spoiler-oh-my-god-secret-powerup red star more often. Even just having one or two stages built around it would have been cool! It's just such a fun item with so few occasions to use it!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I'm about 90 stars in. This is definitely an awesome game and the best platformer I've played in a longass time. One of the things I like about it is the mini-planets in each level are short and sweet, and that's balanced out by the occasional larger areas reminiscent of Mario 64's levels. I'd also say that the game is easier than Mario 64 so far, but then maybe I haven't found this game's Tick Tock Clock yet (hopefully I won't), but there were two levels in particular I thought were a bit absurd. For example, collect 100 purple coins where the whole level is tiles that you stand on too long can lead to death and render that tile unusable for the rest of the level? Well, at least it was short. I'm also not a big fan of ray surfing, but at least you only do that two or three times.

Also, the story in the library is pretty depressing in the mid-chapters.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The story in the library is -- at least in tone and particularly in art style -- very clearly influenced by the french children's book the Little Prince. The book obviously influenced some other parts of the game to, but those influences are much less overt.

I'm actually kind of surprised that none of the reviews have pointed this out... but maybe the Little Prince isn't very well known in the United States?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

The cover seems familiar--but I can't say that I've read it before.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

There was an anime adaption of it that eventually aired in Canada in the 80s, but I'm not sure if it was on any US stations.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

The only locally produced game magazine down here has stated Galaxy's many, many similarities with The Little Prince since it's very announcement, though I just noticed that most media indeed do not mention this. OK, most schools here have this book in their list of mandatory reading (or at least had), so that'd explain it.

And the only way this game could turn any more awesome is that it's secret ending consisted of the staff roll with the whole cast dancing to Jamiroquai's Cosmic Girl.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I played it a bit more today since I finished up Ass Creed. I'm up to like 15 stars I think, though almost all of them are from the first observatory. How many are there and how many do you need to beat the game? I'm assuming 120 and 70, but I have no idea. My only dislike so far was the ball rolling part, I found it to play out like a fairly annoying version of Super Monkey Ball. I thought the Ray surfing was cool, but turning the Wiimote to the right doesn't seem very natural unless you take your thumb off all the buttons. Then again you don't need the buttons for anything during these parts, so that isn't really a problem. I sadly probably won't get to play it again until after Thanksgiving break, but I'm going to try and beat Ocarina of Time over the break since I've never actually really played it before.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I remember <i>Ocarina</i> taking me, like, a month to beat the first time I tried to do so... I recall getting quite hung up at finding an entrance to the Fire Temple, at least.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I beat Mario Galaxy and got all 120 stars in about 30 hours. I don't know how long I'll play with my reward, though. The minimum requirement of beating the game is 60 stars.

Mario Galaxy kind of reminds me of Twilight Princess in that it's obvious in what you're supposed to do next and you never feel lost, unlike Ocarina of Time and to a lesser extent Mario 64.

spon

Post by spon »

Esrever wrote:The story in the library is -- at least in tone and particularly in art style -- very clearly influenced by the french children's book the Little Prince. The book obviously influenced some other parts of the game to, but those influences are much less overt.

I'm actually kind of surprised that none of the reviews have pointed this out... but maybe the Little Prince isn't very well known in the United States?

I'm really surprised that it's hardly been mentioned anywhere too, it was the first thing I thought of in that first camerashot of the gateway galaxy. The storybook just made it very, very clear.

the thing about the boa looking like a hat still bothers me to be honest

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Esrever wrote:It's really too bad you don't get to use the spoiler-oh-my-god-secret-powerup red star more often. Even just having one or two stages built around it would have been cool! It's just such a fun item with so few occasions to use it!
Honestly I thought that was one of the weakest features of the whole game. Compared to say, Mario 64's flying (which perhaps I shouldn't do but it's inevitable) it feels far too slow and lacks that real sensation of soaring around fluidly through the air. I do like how you can stop yourself and point yourself in another direction though.

Anyway 80 stars now and I've fought the last boss and beat the game. The last levels and ending were satisfying and had some great music, though it would've been perfect if there had been one more "conclusive" epic Bowser fight. The final boss was fun and had particularly epic music in the last round but it never felt "big" enough to be the end boss to such a fantastic game. When Bowser reappeared during the credits I was hoping you'd have one last sort of "armageddon" fight with him as the galaxy exploded, though I suppose it's never really been Nintendo's style to try to be as epic as they possibly can, it just sort of comes naturally.

Some of the later galaxies have excellent stand-out level design, truly stunning and far beyond anything I've ever seen before. One such example would be the "matter splatter" galaxy, where objects only exist when they're in an oncreen area that shrinks and expands, sort of like areas in previous games where you'd have a pitch black area and only be able to see where a flashlight pointed, except here you have multiple "lights" but outside of them, no matter exists. Anyway it's hard to explain but a joy to play.... which really sums up most of the level design in the game actually!

Still got 40 stars left to get but I think I can safely say this is the best 3d platformer ever created. Nothing else has such a high degree of creativity and complexity, yet still remains simple and easy to play in a fun and immensly rewarding way. In comparison, Mario 64 looks like the most shallow experience ever.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've got more than 60 stars now, but I'm trying to get them all -- or at least as many of them as the game will let me -- before actually flying to the last area. I'm just curious though, is the last area an entire world of stages, or just a single stage?