Illegal urban sport

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: Illegal urban sport

Post by Ritz »

"BlazBlue" is also a really retarded title for a game.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Ritz wrote:Heavy Characters Always Suck No Matter What™
Image begs to differ.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Too bad TF2 isn't a fighting game.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Rob-Bert wrote:Too bad TF2 isn't a fighting game.
Does waving around with melee weapons count? Close-range 1-on-1 fights can be pretty intense at times until a soldier comes in and critrockets away one of the two fighters!

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Hah, this is awesome.
Bortumer @ SegaFans wrote: Here's an interview with Yoshinori Ono. http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=5876

Here's some interesthing guys:
Why did you make the decision to remove parrying for Street Fighter IV?
I didn't want to create an entertainment videogame as such. I wanted Street Fighter IV to be a tool for the people to use and enjoy themselves.

I often use the analogy of a chess game. Chess can be played by the American or Russian champion, if you like. We can see them playing chess on live TV and so on. The parrying system is that level. It's quite hard for the vast majority to master but chess can be played by grandpa and grand kids on a Sunday afternoon.

I want Street Fighter IV to be a tool for everyone to enjoy. Therefore I deliberately didn't include the parrying system. But you know we carried on with the focus attack and such. Basically we used the rule book from Street Fighter II because that was the most popular.

Some critics have said the game is too similar to Street Fighter II. That is doesn't move the series forward. What do you say to those criticisms?
Well, you know obviously there are subtle differences, wider screens and speed. But ultimately we wanted to create a sequel to Street Fighter II, so if someone says this looks just like Street Fighter II with glorified graphics, then that's music to our ears!

There is one other journalist in Asia, he is from Hong Kong. He said the same thing. He was poker faced. I wasn't sure if he was sarcastic or he meant to be positive but when I said that's the word I wanted to hear, he just shut up. So he was probably being sarcastic.

When you compare the two side by side, Street Fighter II and Street Fighter IV, obviously there are lots of differences. However the team focused on creating a sequel to Street Fighter II. So if people play it and then have the control feel of Street Fighter II, that's what we were aiming for.
What do you think of this think? He's coming out and saying for the doubters who didn't get it the first time: SFIV is being aimed at casual audience and casual SF2 fans, aiming for mainstream success, the fact that this game is 3D is least of it's problems. How will Capcom react if this game flops?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

There are plenty of "professional" Street Fighter III players who hate the parry system because it REMOVES strategy from the game and replaces it with mind games. 3rd Strike became about mix-ups - hope your opponent guesses wrong and blocks high instead of low, or you parry low at the right moment and get a free Super. Also there is no projectile-spacing game and jump-ins are practically free.

In the end a good player should always beat a bad player. Removing parrying may reduce the gap between the average and below-average players, I guess.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Double-S- wrote:There are plenty of "professional" Street Fighter III players who hate the parry system because it REMOVES strategy from the game and replaces it with mind games. 3rd Strike became about mix-ups - hope your opponent guesses wrong and blocks high instead of low, or you parry low at the right moment and get a free Super. Also there is no projectile-spacing game and jump-ins are practically free.

In the end a good player should always beat a bad player. Removing parrying may reduce the gap between the average and below-average players, I guess.
That's what was cool about third strike. You literally had to think like five moves ahead. Like you might throw a projectile dash towards an opponent hope they parry it and then him. Street fighter 4 just feels simplified to because you have to rely so much on strategy instead of out thinking your opponent. For instance all you have to do with Guile now is sonic boom, dash, then either use forward MP or crouching MK. that's all I do in that game it works fine.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

So a friend of mine drove to Canada to play this game.

Granted it's not such a big deal since we're right on the boarder, but those boarder guards had to be confused.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Shoulda just told 'em he was gonna go to a bar and get hammered while under 21, they get that all the time.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Yes, yes they do. It's actually a given around here that when you turn 19 that's where you're going to go for your birthday, unless you're against drinking.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Third Strike isn't about out-thinking your opponent. It's about out-guessing him.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Stupid anachronism FTW!!

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

BlazBlue seems to have a much more narrow cast selection than, say, the last GG, but given that it's a new series...

...I am so excited that I'm drooling a little bit.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Once again, sorry for the bumpin'.
It has come to my knowledge that Aksys has released BlazBlue in some of THOSE DEAD, ELITIST, COIN-MUNCHIN' EEEEEVIIIIIL American arcades, more precisely:

Family Fun Arcade - CA
San Jose State University - CA
Puente Hills Mall - CA
Tokyo Game Action - MA
Arcade UFO - TX
Planet Zero - TX
Game Galaxies - TN
The Nexus Arcade - FL
Chinatown Fair - NYC
Hawaiian Brians Billard - Hawaii
Sunnyvale Golfland - CA
The Game Grid - Utah

If there's anyone here reading this who's ballsy enough to go into any of those places and get his/ her ass kicked by some random 15yo who signs "ASS" at the score table (OH, HUMANITY!), then please do tell us 'bout your traumatic and/or totally sweet experience here kthx.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Even more topical, SF4 comes out this week, dunnit? Wonder how it holds up.

Baba O'Riley

Re:

Post by Baba O'Riley »

[quote="Isuka"]Once again, sorry for the bumpin'.
It has come to my knowledge that Aksys has released BlazBlue in some of THOSE DEAD, ELITIST, COIN-MUNCHIN' EEEEEVIIIIIL American arcades, more precisely:/quote]

I guess I gotta make the pilgrimage to New York.

Incidentally, I bought Battle Fantasia because I just am too upset about Guilty Gear 2 being an RTS to even touch it (which is totally irrational and immature but whatever), and it's pretty mediocre.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I've been playing street fighter 4 for months now (I am pretty a pre-dropout at San Jose State university) and it really is fun. I can't wait to get the console version tomorrow and play all 6 different shoto characters. I hope this game sells out like it did in Japan. If this game becomes mainstream like guitar hero, people will finally appreciate how good I am.

Also I played BlazBlu if you could call it playing. That game is so complicated I played it 3 times and I still don't know what the fuck to do which is weird because it is a fighting game and the only thing to do is kill the other person on the screen. That game is prettier than SF4 though.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

BlazBlue has been confirmed for release this summer on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation Triple.
http://www.aksysgames.com/2009/03/04/bl ... merica-bs/

The same goes for KOF XII: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46195.html (don't miss the AOU 2009 trailer)

Better go get one of these.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

How the hell do you even pronounce "BlazBlue" anyway?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

blahs bloo?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Shadow Hog wrote:blahs bloo?
The sad thing is that I think that is the way to pronounce it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

ブレイブルー

Apparently, the "Z" is silent. It's like, "blay blue" or something.

Baba O'Riley

Re:

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Isuka wrote:Better go get one of these.
I've forgotten how expensive arcade sticks are in my years of dealing with the traditional controller for Guilty Gear.

Christ.
Green Gibbon! wrote:Apparently, the "Z" is silent. It's like, "blay blue" or something.
That's pretty damn weird. Oh, Japan, you and your odd naming customs. It'll probably end up Anglicized to Blaze Blue for North American release.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I think I'll still call it BlazBlue if it does.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So, someone leaked Capcom's plans for "Street Fighter IV Dash", the sequel to Street Fighter IV. According to the leaker, Dash will include 10 more characters, bringing the roster up to 35. Those characters are:

SF3: Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley
SF2: DeeJay and T-Hawk
Alpha: Guy, Cody, and Adon
2 New characters.

Basically, what SF4 should have been in the first place. The fact that the leakee is being sued by Capcom means this is pretty much solid.

Hopefully they'll actually balance the game this time.