Illegal urban sport

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

By the time Street Fighter 7 come around, scientists may have found a way to reverse aging or cease deaths caused by aging. Then Ryu and Ken can live forever!

Or they'll follow suit with Street Fighter Alpha and make 4 sequels of Street Fighter Beta, based on what happens between Street Fighter 3 and 4!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

If it's hand drawn sprites I bet they just use the HD remix ones. If someone already said that sorry, I got lazy and halfassedly skimmed the last 3/4ths of the posts.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

But I don't think IV's cast will be the same as II. If they make the new characters' sprites in the same UDON style as HD Remix it'll be really cool, though.

I feel like it'd be better to keep some old characters with new outfits/ designs a la Garou, but in the case of a new Vampire installment I'd prefer that the majority of the cast were fresh new characters, and here there're no aging problems... but I bet they'd re-use Morrigan's sprite yet again.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, I loved Vampire, but really they only added about six new characters in two games . . . not much of a lineup change. It'd be nice to have 10 or something to really make it feel like a sequel . . .

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I just felt the urge of playing 3rd Strike today, and unfortunately got stuck against Dudley while playing with Ibuki. I tried and retried many times (maybe it'd have been a good idea to lower the difficulty, but all of the other stages would have sucked), and while taking all that punishment I started to watch Dudley's moves closely... I regret it.

Man, his wang just has a will of its own! It's even realistically animated and stuff, Itagaki-style!!
Urien's and Gill's outfits were disturbing enough, but this not-so-subtle sprite animation... God, I can't stop thinking about the fuckin' thing!!
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I was playing third strike in the arcade today. it definately is my favorite street fighter game despite the fact that everybody in the arcade can parry my shit like its nothing. also Yun is a cheap bitch fucking infinately comboing me.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

It's guessing time, folks!
But I think Gibb's right, it'll be 2.5D at most.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Before you cut off your eyes or anything, it'll still play in 2D.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

So the Gibbon called it, then?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

That guy in the back totally knows we're watching him. Better be careful, folks.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Check out the package on Ryu!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Damnit, Acid, I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Thank you for ruining my appreciation of this image.

2.5D is about what I'd expected; fighting games being a dying breed, Capcom's probably not about to spend a large budget redrawing all the sprites and backgrounds that would go into a game of this sort, especially not after raising the bar to an all-time high with <i>SFIII: Third Strike</i>. No, making 3D models of everything seems to be far cheaper these days - thus, so long as the <b>gameplay</b> is intact, they can probably get away with the fanservice without breaking their bank via this method.

That being said, WTF Dhalsim? I thought that guy retired because he was always a pacifist and fighting conflicted with his beliefs. He'd better have a good reason for entering now. Like, Gill captures his son and he has to win the tournament to rescue him or something. Speaking of Gill, I hope some <i>Third Strike</i> characters return... like Ibuki, Alex or Dudley.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Well, at least now I know it won't be on Wii. >=(

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Why does Ryu have a gigantic erection? ;_;

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

The in-game dialogue from the earlier games make it pretty clear that Ryu's very LIFE is the thrill of the fight.

In other words, he has a hard-on for fighting

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I hope nobody thinks to attach him in the crotch!

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I can't believe it is in 3D. This is bullshit. this proves that 2D games are dying.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Welcome to 10 years ago.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Majestic Joey wrote:I can't believe it is in 3D. This is bullshit. this proves that 2D games are dying.
It plays in 2D, and it looks like they went out of their way to make the renderings look somewhat animated. What do you want, massive sprites that look that gorgeous? I'm no game developer, but it seems to me that animating a shitload of characters going through any given range of motions, and then putting them on top of also-animated backdrops is going to be a lot more tedious than making one model per character and programming it to do each motion. Even if someone did manage to animate that many sprites, it'd probably be so tedious that it'd have to be computer assisted to the point where it might as well be cell-shaded 3D.

aso

Post by aso »

Majestic Joey wrote:I can't believe it is in 3D. This is bullshit. this proves that 2D games are dying.
I'm sorry, did you somehow miss the link that Isuka so graciously posted?

The linked article clearly states
Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D.
So stop your bitching - you still get a 2D-oriented fighter. The graphics have just been spiffed up considerably.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Hmm... I think Dack's suggestion is what both Joey and GG! wanted it to be. I'll be sincere; I would totally love a true successor of SFIII's overly-exaggerated sprite animation in high definition and stupid detail, and I really doubt that something like that will be possible using 3D models.
OK, we may still get swift, badass moves with lots 'n lots of frames, but the detail level in both characters' and backgrounds' design and animation probably won't be as exquisite as III's. Though I still have some hope, the fighters that I have in my mind are so goddamn gorgeous that maybe I'll still feel a tad bit deceived by it.
Ngangbius wrote:Check out the package on Ryu!
Zeta wrote:Why does Ryu have a gigantic erection? ;_;
Zeta wrote:I hope nobody thinks to attach him in the crotch!
FUCK OK, I GET IT ALREADY!!!

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

aso wrote:The graphics have just been spiffed up considerably.
Define "spiffed up".

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Polygons man they're the fucking FUTURE don't you know. Check out this new Snes game, Starfox. It'll blow your fucking mind!

Being serious though I don't think the model is all that great looking. The style they had in the trailers was fantastic but it doesn't seem to have been conveyed well in real time, if they even tried to. Then again perhaps it's impossible to tell from a still picture and the game is utterly stunning and a work of art while moving, which is entirely possible.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Isuka wrote:Hmm... I think Dack's suggestion is what both Joey and GG! wanted it to be.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see a 2D game done that way. Especially this one, although I think it looks pretty bitchin' (although, true, not up to par with the trailer.)

My musings were if it was physically possible to do on a time table where the system you're developing for may be old news in a matter of years.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Pfft, this is a hoax or a mock-up or a picture of the CG opening or something. The game proper will be hand-drawn, of course.

Also, it's going to be on CPS4.