EA has Acquired Bioware

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
MiraiTails

EA has Acquired Bioware

Post by MiraiTails »

According to Kotaku, EA has acquired Bioware. I wonder if this puts the future of the Sonic RPG in jeopardy.

Edit: More information is available via a Kotaku conference call.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

This doesn't stop other developers from finishing their games. Activision bought Bizare Creations(however that's spelled) and they're still doing other games, including a game for SEGA. All I'd worry about is EA fucking up the studio and removing a lot of people, as they typically do.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

And the EA vacuum cleaner rages on...

Looshi

Post by Looshi »

That's it.

I'm officially committing suicide. There is no more hope left in the world.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh please. If BioWare is something you'd kill yourself over, you're not wanted on this earth anyways

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Looshi wrote:That's it.

I'm officially committing suicide. There is no more hope left in the world.
COOL SEE YA TOMORROW!

Now what manure is this? I don't want to come off as sounding too worried, but when big time business talk such as this suddenly comes around a developer with the kind of qualities as Bioware, it's worth being slightly wary. Also, of course, there's something really, really wrong about EA being able to make people that rich overnight.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

Oh please. If BioWare is something you'd kill yourself over, you're not wanted on this earth anyways
COOL SEE YA TOMORROW!
Y'know, Looshi might've been....JUST MIGHT'VE BEEN joking.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It wasn't funny or original. It was crappy emo hyperbole.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ray & Greg's take below. tl;dr: They seem to be genuinely pleased with it.
Gamespot wrote:GameSpot: Going from the worlds' biggest independent developer to part of the world's biggest publisher? People are kind of taken aback. What's your reaction to that?

Ray Myzuka: Well, I'm really excited about the opportunity to integrate the great development teams we have here, the marketing teams we have here. As you said, EA is the largest, and I think, the best publisher in the world, and I think we can some value to that team, and that organization as a partnership.

GS: Right, but you guys were always an icon of independent development, and were even more so after the deal with Pandemic...

Greg Zeschuk: Well, to be blunt, I don't really see ourselves as not being independent anymore. We've got a goal of making great BioWare games, and we believe in [EA CEO] John[ Riccitiello]'s vision--we can't overemphasize that. We've worked with John for years, and we're looking forward to keep doing what we're doing and doing it well.

GS: You said you still think of yourself as being independent, even though you're now owned by EA. So what exactly, besides the fact you're obviously wealthier, has changed under the deal? Will day-to-day operations at BioWare change at all?

RM: Well, we can achieve more. We've got more opportunities, more resources for the great development and marketing teams here to take advantage of. We're also a lot more direct to the consumer now, since we're part of the publisher. It's going to allow us to fulfill our mission statement of making the best story-driven games in the world, even better than before. Nothing's going to change about that, since we're really passionate about that, and that's in line with what we've heard from John in the values and mission he's expressed.

GS: So is the name going to still be BioWare or is going to become "EA BioWare"?

GZ: Well we're still BioWare....

RM: BioWare is a name that's associated with some really positive things. The fans like the brand, it's a consumer-facing brand, so we're not going anywhere with it.

GS: Well, I was speaking in purely nomenclature terms, like how Mythic became "EA Mythic"?

RM: That will be a collaborative discussion as we work with the folks at EA Games. We're proud to be working with Frank and proud to be working with John. [EA Games president] Frank [Gibeau] is a big gamer, and a great advocate for BioWare.

GS: People are now wondering what is happening with some of your properties, specifically Mass Effect, which is due out next month. That's a wholly owned BioWare property, correct?

GZ: Yes, it is, and it's almost done. Ray and I have both played it! There's other stuff too, there's Dragon Age, there's the Sonic RPG we're making with Sega, there's what we're doing down in Austin, and some other secret stuff as well.

GS: Right, but Mass Effect was billed as being this big booster for Microsoft's publishing efforts and as one of the biggest Xbox 360 exclusives. Will it remain a 360 exclusive?

RM: Microsoft is a great partner, a great publishing partner, and we're really excited to work with them. And we love the 360. One of the things we've talked about is getting multiple iterations of this franchises out during its lifetime, since it's such a great system to work with. And we see Microsoft as a long-term partner on Mass Effect.

GS: Will Microsoft be publishing future iterations of Mass Effect or will EA be publishing it itself?

GZ: We can't predict the future. We'll see what happens. The key thing is we're making a trilogy of Mass Effect games, and we've got a great story arc.

RM: I think people should check it out and just focus on the first game. The team's efforts are going to shine through, since it's an amazing, amazing experience.

GS: Now one of the main reasons EA gave for acquiring BioWare/Pandemic was the upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game you're developing in Austin. After listening to John's comments in the conference call, one walks away with the impression that said MMORPG is a wholly owned IP of BioWare--and therefore EA. Is that correct?

RM: We haven't revealed any details about the game. It's super secret right now. It's got all the characters and story arc that BioWare is known for, and I wish I could say more. It's the best of breed of MMO, with the magic BioWare's associated with, and our goal is to make sure people can't stop playing it.

GS: Right, but judging by John's enthusiasm, it sounds pretty safe to say the MMO is an all-original IP. Would that be fair to say?

RM: [Long pause] We haven't revealed any details about the game. It's super secret right now. It's--

GS: OK, OK, I get it.

GZ: I can say one thing: It looks awesome! [Laughs] We can say a second thing, too: It's really fun to play. We're already playing it. We were playing it just last week.

GS: Now, you just mentioned Dragon Age. Since Dragon Age wasn't mentioned in the acquisition announcement and so little has been heard about it, there's been some speculation that it was canceled.

RM: Oh, no. We were just playing that last week as well. It's one of the more enjoyable things I've done in the past few weeks, by far. I could not stop playing it. I meant to play it just for a little bit just to check it out, but I ended up playing it all weekend. I wish we could say more about it, as the team has been putting in some late hours on the project, and they've come up with some amazing stuff. We're gonna be revealing some more about Dragon Age very soon, I think, and I think you'll be excited to hear about it.

GS: EA announced that there were 10 BioWare/Pandemic franchises, six of which will be series that EA will wholly own. Does that number include existing franchises? I.e. would Mass Effect be counted among that number?

RM: It's a mix of both.

GZ: Tor, are you trying to figure out how many secret games we have? [Laughs]

RM: No, that includes some absolutely unannounced stuff, some super secret stuff we're really proud of. I wish we could talk about it more.

GS: Now, I also notice John mentioned Jade Empire as a property EA was excited about. Does that mean we can expect some new Jade Empire games down the line?

RM: That's an interesting question. [Long pause] We certainly haven't announced anything on that front.

Looshi

Post by Looshi »

Zeta wrote:It wasn't funny or original. It was crappy emo hyperbole.
What? Over exaggerated cynicism, here? Who would have thought!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

At least be creative with your cynicism. It's an art form, not a hobby.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Well hey, at least people have a scapegoat if the Sonic RPG sucks.