They're magically delicious!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Not all junk foods are different. Usually when they are it is because there are separate production facilities in Canada, and they in turn use whatever ingredients are most cost effective regionally. For example, American Coke uses corn syrup as a sweetener, because corn syrup is a protected/supported industry in the States. Up here I believe we use cane sugar.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Green Gibbon! wrote: What about fast food like McDonald's and stuff?
Well, from experience I can tell you that I prefer the food at the Japanese McDonald's.

Hard to explain why though. Memory makes me want to say it's less greasy, but that might be faulty.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Their Big Macs have 35% more sailor uniforms, that's what I've been told.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Didn't we have the "King Vitaman" shtick in a different cereal thread?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Every time I'm in the US the huge variety of bright sugary breakfast food simply astonishes me. Even doughnuts. Doughnuts for breakfast - that shit's only okay if you're doing it to be ironic.
Donuts are a last resort breakfast. I like to think the only reason anyone eats Dunkin' Donuts is because some people are too lazy to make their own meals. I just eat a PBJ for breakfast.

Incidentally, I never eat cereal for breakfast. Ever. I always saw it as a snack meal instead. Cheerios and Froot Loops are pretty much the only ones I ever eat. I used to adore Rice Krispies squares, but no longer do. Maybe I should eat one again soon.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:Up here I believe we use cane sugar.
It must be delicious considering intense superiority of the similar Dublin Dr. Pepper we have in Texas.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

All fast food varies everywhere, to an extent. German Diet Coke, for example, tastes extraordinarily bad. And I was in some country once where McDonald's delivered to homes.

So I had my first root beer a while ago. I had somehow gotten it into my head that root beer was the same as ginger beer, and I love ginger beer, so imagine my surprise when what I ended up tasting was nothing less than sugary mouthwash. And yet people here chug that stuff down like it's... not sugary mouthwash. Fuck that. I'm having Marmite.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

When I was in London this winter I went to a McDonald's out of curiosity. It seemed a lot drier than the burgers here and was quite expensive. Though I hear everything in London is really expensive and the 2 to 1 exchange rate didn't really help.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I like root beer with vanilla ice cream.

I also like root bear by itself. Never had (or even heard of prior to this thread) ginger beer.

Peanut Butter Crunch is my favorite cereal.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The US also has peanuts in just about every chocolate bar, what's with that?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

I imagine it has to do with baseball.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Cuckooguy wrote:I like root beer with vanilla ice cream.
My grandmother used to make root beer floats for me and my siblings whenever we visited. They were delicious.

I heard that eating at a McDonalds in another country is actually good for your body compared to eating in the U.S.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

When I went to Australia about 10 years ago there was an absurd amount of McDonalds. Like, you'd be driving down the street, and you'd see a McDonalds, and then you go three blocks later and there's another McDonalds, and then you go down a highway and you'd see two McDonalds across the highway from eachother (true story), and I wouldn't be surprised if there was another McDonalds hiding behind one of them. Does anyone know what was up with that?

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Oompa Star wrote:
Cuckooguy wrote:I like root beer with vanilla ice cream.
My grandmother used to make root beer floats for me and my siblings whenever we visited. They were delicious.

I heard that eating at a McDonalds in another country is actually good for your body compared to eating in the U.S.
It may be because eating at an American McDonalds may/may not cause your heart to instantly implode (which may, or may not, be an over exaggeration). I've recently learned that a chocolate milkshake has over 6,000 calories in it. To put that in perspective, the average amount of calories you really need for a day is about 1500-2000. So that's three days of food. In a milkshake.

... and in a half hearted attempt to get 'back on topic', I don't eat much cereal these days. Though, the last stuff I had (and really liked) was the French Vanilla/Strawberry Creme mini-wheats (Strawberry Creme was better, though). I used to like that one Disney cereal with Winnie the Poo on it (Honey Bs or something?) but they changed the formula to have less sugar in it and now it tastes like cardboard, basically. This stuff doesn't look bad though, though I don't normally eat ubersugary dehydrated marshmallow stuff.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Where are you getting 6000? Their website says a 32 oz is a little over 1000. Not that that's good for you or anything, but I'm pretty sure 6000 calories in a milkshake is physically impossible.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

It's not necessarily McDonald's- but it's from one of those commercial quiz things from "Biggest Loser".

For those of you who don't know what "Biggest Loser" is, it's a game show where the obese try to lose the most weight for... I don't know, prizes or something. I've seen it... once. I think. Maybe twice?

And yeah, it seems like it'd be physically impossible, but when you pay attention to the calories in some foods it's not that big of a jump.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Crazy Penguin wrote:The US also has peanuts in just about every chocolate bar, what's with that?
It's because they were made for each other.

My local supermarket has an international section with a bunch of UK chocolate. I've been trying different bars each time I go. There's something called a "Yorkie" and apparently, It's Not For Girls. Could .. could someone clear that up for me? The bar is like a black hole of milk chocolate, so I'm thinking that it's something only a man can handle? I guess?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

As long as we're on this tangent, Cadbury's > Hershey's. Not by a whole lot, maybe, but it's better, end of story.

As far as breakfast goes, I've been on the run in the mornings a lot lately. I tend to get up far too late, and leave only JUST enough time to walk over to class... so lately, I've found myself grabbing a double-chocolate muffin and a cup of milk before rushing to get to class on time. Weekends generally aren't any better, since I open for Staples frequently, and tend to be in the same predicament - only, instead of walking to class, I'm driving to work.

Should I get a chance to have a REAL breakfast, though, I think I'm trying to eat more Cheerios. Cholesterol's too damn high. Switching to Cheerios isn't gonna fix all my problems ever but it'll help... although admittedly yesterday I decided to have some Fruity Pebbles on a whim. They were better than I remember them being.

As for at home, I generally heat up frosted brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tarts. I'd have Cheerios at home, too, but I swear the box we own was bought back in 2005. Why it's still there is a mystery - no way in hell I'm eating cereal THAT stale.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Where do you live? As far as I can tell, over here (Northwestern US) Cadbury products are only really available during Easter (what with the famous creme eggs), and Ghirardelli seems to be the preferred chocolate for chocolate snobs around here.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Locit wrote:
Esrever wrote:Up here I believe we use cane sugar.
It must be delicious considering intense superiority of the similar Dublin Dr. Pepper we have in Texas.
Thank God. I thought I was going crazy when I thought that the cola tasted better when I was in Dublin this summer.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

G.Silver wrote:Where do you live? As far as I can tell, over here (Northwestern US) Cadbury products are only really available during Easter (what with the famous creme eggs), and Ghirardelli seems to be the preferred chocolate for chocolate snobs around here.
Eastern Coast, not too far from DC. It USED to be the case that Cadbury's was impossible to find (I was well aware of it from having lived in England for three years) but that recently changed - you can find them down the candy aisle pretty easily now. Not at the candy selection by the register, certainly, but down the candy aisle nevertheless.

Reminds me of Cadbury's other candies... I kind of miss Astros. Although I think Crispy M&Ms are like them... actually, I haven't seen that flavor in years, either. Must've discontinued it...?

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Senbei wrote:There's something called a "Yorkie" and apparently, It's Not For Girls. Could .. could someone clear that up for me? The bar is like a black hole of milk chocolate, so I'm thinking that it's something only a man can handle? I guess?
I think its because only men would like re-cooked cooking chocolate formed into a bar. I don't know why they think that, but it's worked.

Over in New Zealand they have a glorious chocolate bar called a Pinky Bar. Its strawberry marshmellow, covered in caramel and then topped with Cadbury's chocolate.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

One of the founders of Cadbury died when he tripped over in the factory and drowned in his own hot chocolate vats.

I really hope they didn't sell that chocolate.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Or at least that they sold it at a higher price, like that William Shatner's kidney calculus.