Classic Anime

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Gurren Lagann is pretty great but I can't help feeling the show would benefit from being about half as long as it is now.
That way the animation quality might be better distributed and the story a little faster paced.

Or maybe they'll release a movie and/or ova and all will be right with the world.

Also hopefully you didn't ruin the surprise waiting for you in episode 8 by scanning wikipedia, J-man.

As far as anime reccomendations go, hopefully i won't be stoned to death for suggesting that Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket be added to the docket. Sure it's Gundam, but at six episodes, its the most memorable and human of the bunch by far.
Also, the works of Satoshi Kon are pretty swell. Tokyo Godfathers is a Christmas delight for all.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Nah, I just read the basic outline. I was mildly interested up until it mentioned robots, whereupon I squealed with joy. Y'know, squealed with joy internally.

Why, what surprise did I not ruin? I hate surprises. Tell me.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

A thread about classic anime without a single mention of Fist of the North Star? Shameful.
Radrappy wrote:Gurren Lagann is pretty great but I can't help feeling the show would benefit from being about half as long as it is now.
That way the animation quality might be better distributed and the story a little faster paced.
Funny you should say that - the series was actually supposed to be twice as long as it currently is. However, Gainax realized that they, of all animation studios, probably couldn't sustain a series for that long. So, they condensed the entire existing story down to 26 episodes. I am thankful for that, especially considering Gurren-Lagann is one of the only new anime this year even worth two shits. Denno Coil is probably the only other one. Hell, with the industry the way it is, seeing two shows with original concepts worth watching air in the same year is nothing short of astonishing. Almost everything this decade that's even notable has been adapted from some other source material, and even then the worthwhile programming is far and few between.

And yes, 0080 is the best Gundam by far, if not one of the best OVA series'.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

0080 is my favorite Gundam too, and I like a lot of them.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

... j-man's facial expression freaks the crap out of my avatar.
Pepperidge wrote:A thread about classic anime without a single mention of Fist of the North Star? Shameful.
I seriously didn't know how to deal with this one. I just saw the first episode and it was awesome, but given the fact that it's a long series I wasn't sure if it managed to be good until the very end. What's more, I still have to watch the new OVAs and stuff, at least they looked good in trailers.
And I'm getting the slight impression that GHZ wants me to watch Gurren Lagann. I'll give it a try, even though some Japanese geeks disliked it or something.

This'll sound weird, but we're in serious need of shoujo anime here. The last officially broadcasted thing was the utterly stupid and forgettable Mew Mew Power, and of course nobody watched it (maybe Twin Spica could somewhat fall in this genre, but it was only 20 episodes long). The success of both Sailor Moon and CardCaptor Sakura is almost legendary in this lands, there're thousands of fans and they turned quite a few chicks into fans as well. Now that this kind of series is gone, so are the chicks and that's a serious bummer :( . Hope Futari wa Pretty Cure manages to be a rotund hit too.

All this whining aside, and ignoring the fact that the guy doesn't transform into the robot's head anymore, I crapped my pants.
Last edited by Isuka on Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Isuka wrote:in serious need of shoujo anime
Princess Tutu is all you need.

Also, j-man, i'll enjoy anything steam related, i just prefer the more realistic style of Steamboy to the bizarre mech with AI in Steam Detectives.

Although it could use a difference engine instead of a computer chip.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Isuka wrote:I'll give it a try, even though some Japanese geeks disliked it or something.
That is because most of them are pedos, and do not approve of shows that do not conform to their pedo standards.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

But Nia was pretty pedo, right? And those two kids who grew up to pilot the mock-Gurren Lagann robots?

Also, I couldn't get into Dennou Coil, but I only saw the first two or three episodes. But Pep, you really need to watch Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei! It's only scheduled to be 12 episodes long so it's not to much of a commitment.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I thought was because of the weird animation in episode 4?

One Classy Bloke

That episode was well animated. Everyone was just complaining about the mouths. And somehow, it caused one of the co-founders of Gainax to compare fans with an anus (which is accurate for the Japanese) and then resign. It was a retarded chain of events.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Pepperidge wrote:Almost everything this decade that's even notable has been adapted from some other source material, and even then the worthwhile programming is far and few between.
And Lucky Star, one of the most popular anime this year, sure doesn't fit the bill of worthwhile programming. The countless Haruhi Suzumiya plug-ins don't help (especially episode 16's), basically because I find Haruhi Suzumiya the most overrated anime since Love Hina.

I've seen a few anime based on manga this year that were fairly enjoyable: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Manabi Straight, Hitohira, and Hayate the Combat Butler. None of them are classics or will be worth remembering in five years, though.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

One Classy Bloke wrote:Princess Tutu is all you need.
Thanks OCB, somehow it made me remember the other good thing broadcasted here lately (also in shitty slots, thanks to CN); Ashita no Nadja. Not brilliant, but quite nice and enjoyable... or at least until the last 15 or so episodes, where it turns into an epic, dramatic pain. And the recent adaption of Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette, that's probably nice.
One Classy Bloke wrote:Everyone was just complaining about the mouths.
I always wondered how do they manage to keep the mouths synced, given that they complete the scene's animation first and record the voices later. The only exception to this rule that I remember was Red Garden.
And it looks like the people at Gainax said 2chan's geeks are like an anus after the very premiere of the series (that's to say, some people complained about the first episode), and when some other geeks went to complain about whatever's wrong with the fourth episode they found out those earlier commentaries and, well, the guy had to resign. Quite tragical indeed.

On Hayate, I just read an article about it and sounds batshit, excellent. It seems like R.O.D. is coming over this way (though only the series, not the OVAs), and the guy in charge of Gurren Lagann also worked in Oh! Edo Rocket, which sounds like just a filler job but I haven't seen anything in motion yet.

EDIT: So... does anyone here recommend Koukyoushihen Eureka seveN?
Last edited by Isuka on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Isuka wrote:EDIT: So... does anyone here recommend Koukyoushihen Eureka seveN?
Yes, I strongly recommend it. It starts off a bit slow (took me a while to get into it), but by the end you'll be thankful you stuck with it. It's definitely one of the best original shows in recent years.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Am I the only one here who watches anime who doesn't give a shit about Gurren Laggan? It sound like yet another journey anime with robots thrown in, and I've never really been fond of GAINAX stuff in the first place aside from KareKano (until episode 18), the first half of Evangelion, and Gunbuster. Is there more to this than what I see, Pepperidge? ADV already licensed it, so I'm not sure I want to watch an episode of it subbed unless I'm absolutely certain I'd like it.

Also, is Cat's Eye worth seeing? The manga is from the guy who also created City Hunter, which I've heard lots of great things about.

One Classy Bloke

Gurren Lagann is full of GAR and epic. While it opens out like a simple journey monster of the week, all hell breaks loose in episode 7, drops for a bit, then remains awesome from then on.

Really, just listen to Kamina's statements. They are pretty much a description on where the series is going.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

The thing about it is it IS "yet another" journey anime, but seriously, those don't actually come along that often and they certainly don't capture what is good and wonderful about them the way Gurren Lagann does. I have trouble imagining how anyone could regard it as anything other than intensely likable.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Gurren Lagann jumps the shark when it kills off the series' most entertaining and lovable character.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Zeta wrote:Gurren Lagann jumps the shark when it kills off the series' most entertaining and lovable character.
Eh, I thought it was necessary for Simon since he was in his shadow up until that point. I mean, Kamina did most of the fighting and really took the spotlight for the first eight episodes, and his absence from the rest of the show really felt like the right thing for Simon's character to develop.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

So, it has Kidou Senkan Nadesico syndrome?

And I can't believe not even Gibb mentioned this one. That's some huge... geezer "boner".

EDIT:
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:And Lucky Star, one of the most popular anime this year, sure doesn't fit the bill of worthwhile programming.
But... but they play Wii and mock Haruhi. They're teh hip!

:|

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Ah, episode 16, where Konata dresses up as Haruhi. That's the point I quit watching the show, funny enough.

I liked Nadiesco until the writers decided they had no clue how to end the series (the movie didn't help explain things either). That and Akito and Yurika weren't funny or interesting characters, whereas I liked almost every side character.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Try Soul Hunter, the manga is better, but is an awesome short anime anyway...

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Fist of the North Star, Abenobashi and Alien 9 are the only anime* I've ever really cared for. I also liked Orphen to an extent, but I get the sneaking suspicion that I'd be looked down upon for saying such, and that there are better shows of that nature out there.

* I almost said "Japanese cartoons" only for the sake of pissing everyone off. Kekeke

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Classic anime... this brings back good memories... I was a lovely child in the late 80's, watching sesame street in my granny's place every day (Spanish version, with Epi/Erni and Blas/Bert and... Espinete y Don Pim Pon). But one day in school all my friends were exited talking about a big gorilla werewolf or something... That day I discovered Dragon Ball, and that is what followed:
Dr. Slump, Lamu (urusei yatsura), Kinnikuman, Lupen III, KOR, Sailor Moon, Saint Seya, Mirai Shonen Conan, Dash Kappei (named Chicho Terremoto), Maison Ikkoku, Captain Tsubasa (named Campeones = Champions), Ranma.....

I will not talk about my teens, that's a large list... but from the last decade, the only ones that will remain as classics are Evangelion and maybe Great Teacher Onizuka

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

So Espinete (something like Spiny) would be Sonic's Spanish cousin... now it all makes sense.
I seriously LMAO really hard with Eikichi Onizuka's antics some three years ago, I should check the rest later... and I first watched it over a marathon that also included Oruchuban Ebichu; you all HAVE to watch Ebichu, preferably with some friends or even complete strangers. I actually cried while laughing.
I only watched two movies of Lupin III, Kutabare! Nostradamus (the one that resembles the WTC) and the crappy Russia yori Ai wo Komete (the one with crazy Rasputin), a bunch of episodes of Dr. Slump, the entirety of Ranma ½ and Majutsushi Orphen too (the first series was cool, but Revenge was just meh).
Also, as a kid I got sick of mechas; UFO Robo Grendizer, Jeeg (as "El Vengador"), Kousoku Denjin Arbegas, Mirai Robo Daltanius, Sengoku Majin GoShogun (renamed as Macron-1) and a shitload of other minor series. Looks like I had my fix, because I'm not as fond about this genre anymore.

And, uhm, they're all Japanese cartoons, there's no point in denying it. Some are goofy, some aren't, but you can't say they aren't just that.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

You really should see Castle of Cagliostro, Isuka. It's not a traditional Lupin film by any means, but it's directed by Hayao Miyazaki and has all the classic trimmings of his later works. It's really fun to watch.

In other words, I decided to watch Gurren Lagann's first episode. I take back any negative reception I gave this show: this stuff is fun.