Classic Anime

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Ritz wrote:Alien 9
I never thought I'd see the day!

Alien 9 is my favorite in manga form, but I like the anime too. That Hitoshi Tomizawa is freakin' crazy!

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Well, just watched both Lucky Star's and Gurren Lagann's first episodes.
They're almost complete opposites; while I respect Tsuyoshi for enduring 16 sessions of what's probably complete brainless, badly animated torture (I stopped after the stupid Street Fighter II parody, it was made of boredom and FAIL), good Lagann stroke me like almost nothing before, maybe something like One Piece was comparable to such greatness but still falls short to it.

On another note, I'd appreciate some advice on Texhnolyze and Excel Saga, they both sound quite good to me, and another short OVA series I strongly recommend is Tenamonya Voyagers.

Oh, and I saw the first scene of Cagliostro no Shiro at school after passing my third year in Japanese (I have since left it on a stand-by, the lessons are quite hard and expensive), I'll find a way to watch the entire thing, along with Walther P38 ~In Gedenken an die Walther P38~.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Old anime? If you like Saint Seiya, you can try Bit-X; it's basicaly the same thing, only with robots and more women, and the most horrifying monster I've ever seen on anything. It has its moments, but like the other show, it takes itself too seriously- plus, both have the same frikkin' protagonist, even if the names are different. Hey, at least I mentioned it.

And yeah, I'll definetly give a try to those drillers.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I watched the first episode of Lucky Star. It made me really hungry and bored me at the same time. By the end, I think I felt my brain trying to escape out my left ear.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Isuka wrote:while I respect Tsuyoshi for enduring 16 sessions of what's probably complete brainless, badly animated torture (I stopped after the stupid Street Fighter II parody, it was made of boredom and FAIL)
Actually, I skipped episodes 14 and 15 to see the Haruhi Suzumiya bit everyone raved on the Internet about. I stopped after that. The recent Pani Poni Dash does the same stuff Lucky Star does and adds in some Excel Saga into the mix, and does it a lot better and funnier.

Good to see you abandoned when you did. You're not missing much.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Fun fact: Konata is around 17 years old. Yoko is 14. Talk about different metabolisms!
Maybe Cara's talking about B't X. It's cool, yeah, but not quite there with Saint Seiya... also, actually there aren't many women in it, the only important one's Karen. But that scene with the mechanical twins slowly dying was frankly awesome.

Brazillian Cara

Oh yeah, that's the name.
Not many women? Most of the non-fighting enemy forces were composed of females, if I remember well. Also, other important characters include Aramis, and Saori-with-a-haircut (Karen's sister)- I mean, she is the only other survivor of the cast besides Seiya and Kotarou. And maybe Juggler.

On other news, Gurren-Lagann is no One Piece, but kicks ass nonetheless. Anyone knows where I can find episodes 15-forward subbed?

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Foolhardy of me to ask, but was the Densha Otoko song intentionally unrelated to the story?

If there is an anime out there anything like that theme song, I must see it.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I just read that a local DVD publisher is going to distribute Paprika and, in the next months, no other than Tekkon Kinkreet. Unlike j-man, I actually squealed with joy and will promptly mail this people to try and convince them to distribute Dead Leaves or Mind Game.

Also, instead of making another Zone of the Enders OVA or movie, Konami's busy pleasing the ever-growing pedo crowd.

On Gurren Lagann's fourth episode; definitely there's nothing wrong with the animation style itself, but there's indeed something weird with the characters' design. They look like, I don't know, 1960's cartoon characters?
I'm currently downloading Zetsubou Sensei, and I just remembered Shaman King was really cool. I miss it.

Brazillian Cara

Since this topic was brought back:
-OCB, most of the files in that link somehow don't play on my computer- I have yet to figure out exactly what kind of SD files my PC supports. Until then, I'll just wait for the slow, yet more-than-decent updates from http://order.kipsta.net/

-Also, Ghost Sweeper Mikami. Because everyone needs a little 80's on their lives.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

So I guess Adult Swim is going to be airing Death Note. So if you haven't encountered it in the 15,000 countries obssessed with it, now's the time to get watching!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

What's Death Note?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

It's about a game of cat and mouse. Except the mouse has the power to kill people by writing their name in a notebook, and though the mouse wants to kill the cat when he becomes aware that a cat is trying to catch him, he doesn't know the cat's real name, thus begins a game where everyone has to stay one step ahead of eachother.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Just in case you're still not sold on Gurren-Lagann, you'd better watch this.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Cuckooguy wrote:It's about a game of cat and mouse. Except the mouse has the power to kill people by writing their name in a notebook, and though the mouse wants to kill the cat when he becomes aware that a cat is trying to catch him, he doesn't know the cat's real name, thus begins a game where everyone has to stay one step ahead of eachother.
Sounds dumb.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Sounds like a really dark and sinister version of Tom & Jerry.

And, ironically, Mikami's anime dates from 1993. Yeah, the animation is so "awkward", it almost looks like an 80's show.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Right, see now I'm thinking of L licking himself.

I just figured I'd share. My misery is your misery.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Man, yeah. It seems really natural for him to do it, too, what with him being so monkey-ish.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Do monkeys lick themselves?
I only knew that they eat each others' fleas and stuff.

Also; BESTEST ANIMU OF TEH EVAR.
EOT

EDIT: Here comes a (new?) challenger!!

Brazillian Cara

Also, for the (hopefully) many of you who care, One Piece's Skypia Saga starts this saturday on Toonami- now with 90% less dumb script rewrites.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

... No wonder that, since the first time I've seen it and up until this very moment, Macross Plus proudly stands as my favorite anime (and yeah, it's a 9-year-old AMV and I just found it... :( ).

Also, were Boukyaku no Senritsu, Betterman and RahXephon any good?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Betterman is kind of ok...