Sonic The Hedgehog Movie

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Remix

Sonic The Hedgehog Movie

Post by Remix »

What do you think would make a quality Sonic film?

I'm aware that an anime movie was already released years ago, but I'm sure that it is universally known as absolute shit. I know most of you would not care to for one to be released, but if it was going to happen, what would you like to see?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

baaaanned.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

banstick plz

OSM

Post by OSM »

Eh, something new.

Something that isn't too mainstream that doesn't remind me of the previous 3D titles. Something that's fast paced and doesn't drag along, the same feeling of the genesis era maybe.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I'm fairly sure we all dreamed of one at one point of our lives. I'm pretty sure all the ideas I used to concoct in my head for a Sonic the Hedgehog movie plot probably sucked, but it if they did make a movie, it should be happy and 90s with the save-the-environment message to it and so we don't pollute the world by trapping animals in industrial robots as fuel because smoggy factories are obviously uglier than pure nature consisting of checkered hills and palm trees and large geometrical flowers.
Last edited by Cuckooguy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OSM

Post by OSM »

Cuckooguy wrote:I'm fairly sure we all dreamed of one at one point of our lives. Currently, I don't care if they make a movie or not because it would probably suck, but it if they did make a movie, it should be happy and 90s with the save-the-environment message to it and so we don't pollute the world by trapping animals in industrial robots as fuel because smoggy factories are obviously uglier than pure nature consisting of checkered hills and palm trees and large geometrical flowers.
This man speaks the truth.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

This is all the Sonic movie I'll ever need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1bMU0tlIw

Remix

Post by Remix »

That was probably the most entertaining Sonic-related video I've ever seen.

Anyways, I'd give a Sonic movie a chance. As long as the story was something different from what we've seen. None of the shit from the newer games where they attempt to make some kind of bad dramatic anime. I'd like it to have the feeling of the Genesis era. I'd want a fast-paced adventure story that doesn't take itself so damn seriously.

OSM

Post by OSM »

G.Silver wrote:This is all the Sonic movie I'll ever need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1bMU0tlIw
Haha, I remember this! I still want to see this thing fully animated.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

It needs to be a hard R movie with epic violence, swearing, and nudity. This is the only way to do justice to the story of a blue hedgehog who runs really fast.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

That hand-drawn thing was awesome.

I think the anime movie (which I actually thought was pretty entertaining) got it right by making the plot Sonic v Metal Sonic, since such a setup lends itself to lots of really fast running and other high-speed shenanigans, which is what everyone so far has asked for. The movie screwed up here though, with most of the fast-paced stuff happening between two streaks of light, rather than the characters. All of Sonic's acrobatics were missed thanks to that.

All they really need to do is fix Knuckles' character, re-do the fight scenes and remove the unnecessary humans and they've got the beginnings of a great Sonic movie.

On a different note, a CGI Sonic movie might be pretty cool. Its been the cutscenes that were most impressive in recent Sonic games, they may as well run with it.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

An American-made Sonic movie actually seems a lot more plausible back in the early 90's. If it were made, it proabably would've been live-action, with Eggman played a real actor, and Sonic and the other animal characters played by full-body puppets like the ones in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

Of course, if it were to be made nowadays, they'll most likely CGI the whole thing. That could work if the plot is based on either Sonic 2 or Sonic 3.

Remix

Post by Remix »

Rob-Bert wrote:Of course, if it were to be made nowadays, they'll most likely CGI the whole thing. That could work if the plot is based on either Sonic 2 or Sonic 3.
I was thinking the same. A story grounded on Sonic 2, but with more of a twist to it. It would definately need more characters. Sonic, of course, being the hero and Tails as the herald. But, the hero would need a guide through his journey. Not sure who that would be.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Omochao, obviously.

"Hey, Sonic! Did you know that if you walked off a cliff, you'll FALL?"

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I'd assume they'd make the small animals from the badniks characters, like Flicky, Pocky and Rocky.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I think it'd be more like the American Godzilla movie, you know, with a lot of human characters and a lot more focus on the human side of things, looming disaster in the face of Dr. Robotnik's evil schemes. And a fetching young researcher who insists, "NO! His name is SONIKKU!" I READ IT ON THE INTERNET IN THIS TRANSLATION OF A JAPANES INSTRUCTION MANUAL
Last edited by G.Silver on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

In fact that's really what it should be. You have to figure that any treatment is going to be franchise-ruining.

It takes place in and around an encapsulated human environment, a sort of Station Square-like area, because really, the whole world is probably too much of a stretch. It becomes apparently before long that the people are actually TRAPPED there, because the wilderness outside is slowly being taken over by Robotnik's badniks, who are recognizable but spindalized in a fashion similar to the new Transformers movie because really, they have to look a bit more threatening, and things have become dangerous out there. The humans don't know it but Dr. Robotnik, a genius living in the city is of course responsible, and only one tough dude--Sonic the Hedgehog--is bad enough to save the president. Sonic and all the badniks are CG, and Robotnik is phenomenal piece of makeup work. The other animals are either CG or extremely well-trained, and always perceived to be perfectly normal.

Optionally, going in the direction of making characters who have little to do with their original game-based counterparts, Dr. Robotnik can be played by Richard Attenborough (Jurassic Park) and is confined to a wheelchair, and is viewed as a particularly benevolent Santa-like figure due to his research in the area of cybernetic limb replacement--of course this is really just a cover for the next logical step--using entire animals to power entire robots.

It follows a pretty straight plot outline

1. Woman in peril.
2. Mysterious savior, and discovering the robots are actually powered by animals.
3. Details on conspiracy within the city, suspicion of certain individuals on the seemingly benevolent Dr. Robotnik.
4. Sightings of the mysterious hedgehog, who is viewed as completely normal (in spite of appearance and ability to talk) except for his speed, which is obviously phenomenal. Possible tangent with Sonic as a crytozoologic find (and thus the Japanese legend of the fast hedgehog and the "gojira" gag which was the entire purpose of my previous post), Sonic ultimately teams up with the few humans who suspect Robotnik's evil plot.
4.5 Relationship hijinx ensue as Sonic is more attractive to the female lead than the male lead.
5. Badass action scenes in the city as badniks begin to encroach and take over the highways and other important infrastructure, Sonic saves babies from runaway trucks, etc.
6. Robotnik reveals his evil scheme to turn the city into EggmanLand. Obviously. But by this time his position is too fortified.
7. Sonic and humans infiltrate his secret base, which is not only a crazy science facility, but it also flies and is powered by Chaos Emeralds which may have been excavated from ruins below the city, as Robotnik is also renown for his support of local archeological studies.
8. Research facility flies over the city with ruins sticking out the bottom, ala Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky, and Robotnik threatens to destroy the earth Death Egg-style.
9. Sonic saves the day, Chaos Emeralds are zapped out of existance (for now!), tearful departure, boy gets girl (maybe), the end. Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay!

Alternately, take out the Chaos Emerald/Death Egg/Floating Island elements and save them for the inevitable sequels.

OH GOD I JUST TOOK THIS THREAD SERIOUSLY

OSM

Post by OSM »

That has to be the worst idea for a movie since Muppets in Space.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

They should make the movie like the new Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Jason Lee is about to choke down a few handfuls of pharmaceuticals when he looks outside his trailer to see three tiny animals in bad condition in his front yard - a blue hedgehog, a yellow fox, and a red echidna. He finds hope in himself by helping the trio recover and gain revenge on Dr.Eggman.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

What I'd like to know is what the hell Sonic would look like in G.Silver's idea...

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:They should make the movie like the new Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Jason Lee is about to choke down a few handfuls of pharmaceuticals when he looks outside his trailer to see three tiny animals in bad condition in his front yard - a blue hedgehog, a yellow fox, and a red echidna. He finds hope in himself by helping the trio recover and gain revenge on Dr.Eggman.
...and Sonic eats his own shit.

Remix

Post by Remix »

Rob-Bert wrote:What I'd like to know is what the hell Sonic would look like in G.Silver's idea...
Probably as bad as the idea.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

He's like regular old Sonic.

But he's got flames painted on the sides!

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

And prominent nipples?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

An actual hedgehog covered in blue paint with little red shoes on his hind legs. Maybe they can make his eyes and mouth more expressive and his body seem sleeker with CGI, resulting in the same effect we got out of Scooby-Doo and Garfield.

PS: I'm certain Silver's idea was meant to be bad. Either that or he's really Uwe Boll in disguise.