Halp?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Halp?

Post by FlashTHD »

#1:
In January '06, my system started refusing to acknowledge that my first-party 1019 card existed. It would be in either slot but couldn't be detected. My other two cards at the time (which were older by several years) worked fine, the connectors were clean, I kept it and my other cards in the GameCube at practically all times - so what the hell could have broke?

I had let the thing go in peace and stored it in a little case since then, but I don't think the card is corrupted or it would be telling me that, and this isn't a problem that's documented anywhere I can find, so I guess I should try harder to solve this enigma like I should have a year and a half ago. I can either call up Nintendo Customer Service and see what they can do for me, or open the card up and take a look. I'm leaning toward the latter, cause the warranty's long dead and if the automated email I got from them already is any indication, all they'll suggest to me over the phone is buying a replacement (which is already done). So, if take the cover off, I need to know two things:

1) What should I be looking for? Besides possible dirt or scunge in places it shouldn't be?
2) Will I have to buy one of those weird specialized screwdrivers online to get it open, or can I find something that will do the job all the same at Lowe's or someplace?

But if you have any better ideas or suggestions first, lay 'em. Note that i've heard about the "you can't have more than 127 saves on it" problem before, and I definitely did not have that many stored. Matter of fact, the last save I added to it was for Mega Man X Collection...things were fine for a week or so before it broke down.

#2:
I don't know a whole lot about capture cards, so to the folks here that do, is there any substantial audio/video lag like there is with TV tuners? If not, please do reccommend me some good ones. Also, i'll be getting a new PC by year's end as a graduation gift, and it's gonna come with Vista professional or ultimate. It'll be tricky for me to get Microsoft's service packs as they release them, so it would be nice to know what glitches I should watch out for with the early versions of Vista.

#3:
Next time I go into town, I intend on getting a used copy of F-Zero GX. This won't cost more than $10 so i've zilch to lose, but anything I ought to know beforehand anyway?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

#1: Your card is probably just defective. Get a new one.

#2: There shouldn't be too much of an a/v lag issue; just get a USB 2.0 or internal device. I don't know of any specific models but I think ATi makes a good one.

I'm not upgrading to Vista until SP1 at least so I can't really help you there.

#3: The game is hard as shit.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Segaholic2 wrote:#3: The game is hard as shit.
I don't know how to interpret this.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Basically, don't count on unlocking much stuff unless you're able to overcome cheating A.I. programs in the Story Mode.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Alternately, find an F-Zero AX machine and you can unlock the best stuff by playing it once.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Suuuure. You gonna fork over the gas money too?

Anyone got more for the first two?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Well you can probably find those screwdrivers at Lowe's or some place. Bring the memory card with you so they can see exactly what you're working with. If they don't have it, try going to anyplace that specializes in eye glasses.

You'll probably notice what's wrong with it if it's anything you can fix on your own without getting too technical.

Also F-Zero GX is a great game. It's the kind of game you have to put a lot of time into, but I'd say it's well worth it. It's a work of art... that could use a little tweaking. But you're definitely getting way more than $10 worth of game there.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

FlashTHD wrote:Suuuure. You gonna fork over the gas money too?
Yes... way easier to find an arcade machine.... not.

The only person I've known to play AX was a guy who lived in Japan for a while. And I don't think the save files work cross-region.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

I played AX in Japan a couple years ago. I found it to be even harder than GX, since I wasn't used to the steering wheel. The courses are harder, too. I lost count of the number of times I blew up.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I unlocked the AX courses in GX and they didn't seem too bad. But it was only one circuit of them them. Their difficulty was somewhere between the last two circuits in GX if I remember right. I haven't played the game for a while though. I can only imagine how much different it is with a steering wheel instead of a Gamecube controller.