Kutaragi, mein fuhrer

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

SCEA would do it, while SCEI releases the PS4 some three months later, with HVD and actual FOUR-DIMENSIONAL ZOMFG!!!!!!!!!!one capabilities.
Green Gibbon! wrote:
However after watching an Eternal Sonata video, I want to play that just to look at it.
You think? I thought that one looked pretty froofy. There's a demo in some Xbox magazine, I wonder how it is?
I think that every game that shows what dying people dream about must be great.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Looks like MGS4 gameplay footage has been released, and it looks like Snake has gained some new abilities on par with the introduction of the ability to roll introduced in MGS2. It looks quite nice.

Parn

Post by Parn »

Green Gibbon! wrote:You think? I thought that one looked pretty froofy. There's a demo in some Xbox magazine, I wonder how it is?
If you like "Tales of" type games where you button mash to victory, then you'll like Eternal Sonata. If anything, Eternal Sonata is the most colorful game made on the next-gen platforms to date. The music's really nice too.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Yeah, the Eternal Sonata demo was good, although I hope the light/dark component in the battles is a bit better in the full game. The cel-shading looks pretty nice, and the backgrounds were luscious sugar-coated goodness for the eyes. Also, I would say the combat is a mix of traditional turn based battles and the free-roaming, button mashing gameplay the Tales of games are known for.

I also found out yesterday that Frederic Chopin is actually a playable character, which I wasn't expecting for some reason, and that the ending is 45 minutes long.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

and that the ending is 45 minutes long
Better make sure you go pee before you beat the final boss.

I always do that. When I get worked up at a final battle, it never occurs to me that I need to piss until the battle is over, and then it totally ruins the ending when all I can think about the whole time is relieving myself.

Am I alone?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
and that the ending is 45 minutes long
Better make sure you go pee before you beat the final boss.

I always do that. When I get worked up at a final battle, it never occurs to me that I need to piss until the battle is over, and then it totally ruins the ending when all I can think about the whole time is relieving myself.

Am I alone?
During every MGS ending, someone seems to ring me while I'm the only one in, asking for my parents. I don't know why all games haven't given you the ability to pause cut scenes since about 1994. I think Final Fantasy XII was the first time I've seen it, and it blew my mind.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I always end up needing to pee after the last boss because I forget to go before the battle. Luckily the last game I played, Odin Sphere, lets you pause in cut scenes.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I always like to hold it in during the home stretch. Adds to the excitement.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Popcorn wrote:I don't know why all games haven't given you the ability to pause cut scenes since about 1994. I think Final Fantasy XII was the first time I've seen it, and it blew my mind.
Kingdom Hearts II allowed you to pause cinemas (except for the final ones in the game).

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Same does Xenosaga, and what a relief it is!
I remember that I had to do something important during the FUCKING ENDLESS final, ultimate blabber of Campbell in MGS2, problem is I can't remember if it was number 1, number 2 or just open the door for the pizza guy. Either way, I didn't understand shit so it doesn't matter.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I had an experience like that with Grandia 2 when Skye was explaining Ryudo's past to Elena. Since you couldn't pause cutscenes, and since the text rolls by itself without the need to press any buttons during that cutscene, my mom yelled at me to come do whatever it is I needed to do in one of her hissy-fissy moments. When I watched my older sister play Grandia 2 and she got to that scene, my mom yelled for me again in order to tell me to do what I needed to do (the cutscene is really long and she has very thin patience). When I watched my <i>younger</i> sister play it, the same thing happened again. I did see the cutscene eventually on my second playthrough (I was a young teen and jobless so I had to make my games last). When I think about it, I should've just had one of my sisters keep a save before the cutscene, but, well, what's happened has happened.

BlazeHedgehog

Re: Kutaragi, mein fuhrer

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Green Gibbon! wrote:It's a game console for adults. Not just any stoner, beer-chugging, Homer Simpson idolizing trailer park adults - wine-drinking, Cuban cigar-smoking, business-section reading adults who spend their summers playing golf in Ireland.
Oddly enough, according to the Nielsen rating system, so is the Wii!

I guess that just leaves the Xbox 360, then.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

My butler has run down to the local winery to get something to celebrate with.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Ultimately, the company also wants to create a tracking method for dynamic and static <b>in-game ads</b> on PCs and consoles. It's working on that endeavor in collaboration with Sony Computer Entertainment America.
There's got to be somebody we can assassinate to prevent this from happening.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

In game ads are pretty much commonplace now. EA had pretty much exactly what you're talking about in NFS: Carbon (which has been out for a while now I think, I don't really follow NFS), and has been putting it in a number of games since then. It's terribly lucrative, so I can't say I blame them. I wrote a piece on the new technology and methods about a year ago-- in game ads can tell how many times you've seen them and for how long, among other things. Besides, Sonic wore fucking Soap-brand shoes in SA2, so as far as I'm concerned we've already seen the worst case scenario.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Things can always get worse than "worst."

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yeah, I could be buying shit EA racing games.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Oh, that kind of in-game. I can live with logos and brand names on game objects. What I was worried about was being forced to watch a commercial before I'm allowed to play the game, like they do with some DVDs now. With live they could even come up with a way to make the commercials dynamic, charge companies a monthly fee, and allow them to target the commercials by title or genre. Obviously the whole community would be in an uproar, but if any of the big three decided to cash in there wouldn't be much we could do about it.

Parn

Post by Parn »

Well, this pretty much seals the deal on buying a PS3 for me.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Looks like a fairy generic JRPG to me. The walking city was pretty impressively animated, though.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That's the one from Level 5 who specialize in very cut & paste material that always turns out to be oddly deep and engaging. Rogue Galaxy was a bit of a disappointment, but I'll let bygones be bygones if they can pull this one off.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Looks like a fairy generic JRPG to me.
It makes me wonder what the cost difference would be between an FMV-laden RPG and a 26+ episode anime series of comparable quality.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Rogue Galaxy is actually the only Level 5 game I played I ever liked.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Really? I liked the character designs, but it came off as very mechanically rigid otherwise. It was really just kind of a dungeon crawl masquerading as a proper full-blown adventure RPG, and not nearly as engaging, I think, as Dark Chronicle, which was an unabashed dungeon crawl.

Until I played it, I was also under the impression that it was turn-based. I hate these quasi-action RPG's where you have to control more than one character at a time.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

They sort of integrated dungeons and cities together, which was very very weird - but I eventually grew to really love that sort of set up. It kept it from being another generic dungeon crawl and gave me the impression of actually being in another city, where that mugger or evil mastermind doesn't care that I'm not outside of the invisible limits of the potion shop to attack me. Which threw me off at first, but the difficulty level eventually leveled off and I just enjoyed it. The only part of the game I hated was the stupid factory sequence, which was just boring and empty.