J.K Rowling and the Piles of Money

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
cjmcray

J.K Rowling and the Piles of Money

Post by cjmcray »

Discussion thread for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Please mark your spoilers.

I ordered mine online, should get it by Wednesday.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

As far as I'm concerned, This is the only good thing to come of any of this.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

From what I've heard, the last book royally sucks and reads like poor Harry Potter angst/shipping fanfiction with oodles and oodles of character death and deus ex machina.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, Draco, and Hagrid are pretty much the only characters that live, really. Total bloodbath of every other supporting character.

Oh, and she never explained exactly how Sirius died. Which is really cheap and confusing. That must be SOME VEIL.

Parn

Post by Parn »

Ritz wrote:As far as I'm concerned, This is the only good thing to come of any of this.
I fail to see how the word "good" and a video featuring individuals spoiling other people's fun can even be associated with one another.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Ritz wrote:As far as I'm concerned, This is the only good thing to come of any of this.
This video sucks, you don't get to see what happens afterwards.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Parn wrote:I fail to see how the word "good" and a video featuring individuals spoiling other people's fun can even be associated with one another.
You may opt for "entertaining", then. Otherwise, I'll simply concede that you don't know how to party.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

So I was pretty concerned about how they were going to end this, since everyone figured Harry would die, so it wouldn't be too surprising, yet if he lived people would say how "cheap" or stupid that is. But it turns out he died, then came back to life

I gave up after reading the 5th book though, I just really couldn't stand it. Such a shame, considering how awesome the first 4 books were, each a little better then the last. Is the 6th any good, or is it more along the lines of the 5th?

Parn

Post by Parn »

Ritz wrote:You may opt for "entertaining", then. Otherwise, I'll simply concede that you don't know how to party.
Raiding bookstores to spoil Harry Potter is your idea of partying?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Protodude wrote:But it turns out he died, then came back to life
... Did Joanne Rowling find inspiration in the biggest Sonic train wreck story, or is it just a fad of sorts?
Parn wrote:Raiding bookstores to spoil Harry Potter is your idea of partying?
I found the e-spoiling and insta-meme of the Dumbledore thing quite funny, but not necessarily a party.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

So I'm not to surprised about some of the deaths, but the one that really seemed unnecessary was Hedwig. Seriously, she was a fucking mail owl! What the fuck was she doing that got her killed? Was she just sitting there in her cage? Of all the things to kill, why would Voldemort or the the Deatheaters go after her? It makes no sense!

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

FIX YOUR SPOILER TAG PROTO. :(

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

This' gonna be one helluva mysterious thread for a while... nobody can say anything right out of the bat!

lulz
Last edited by Isuka on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Fake spoilers are dumb.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

cjmcray wrote:FIX YOUR SPOILER TAG PROTO. :(
Huh? They're working fine for me.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Protodude wrote:So I'm not to surprised about some of the deaths, but the one that really seemed unnecessary was Hedwig. Seriously, she was a fucking mail owl! What the fuck was she doing that got her killed? Was she just sitting there in her cage? Of all the things to kill, why would Voldemort or the the Deatheaters go after her? It makes no sense!
I'm pretty sure they missed Harry and hit her. It's not terribly hard to believe. I was actually pretty surprised about Colin, though.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Isuka wrote:
... Did Joanne Rowling find inspiration in the biggest Sonic train wreck story, or is it just a fad of sorts?
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that she'd have a horde of angry fanboys/girls breathing down her neck if she DIDN'T find some contrived way of "killing but not REALLY killing" Potter.

Personally, I think the way Rowling did it was a hell of a lot better and not as contrived as anything SEGA could've thought up--need to raise someone from the dead? Use the Emeralds!--and it provided her a way to use zombie Dumbledore, which was awesome.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Isuka wrote:
...a fad? Dude, it's in <i>The Bible</i>.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

The day after the launch I was fairly sick and bedridden, so I got a family member to go an pick me up the book so I could read it. I had it done by that night.

Its fairly good, and nowhere near the "bloodbath" people are calling it. Most of the Hogwarts students who have actually been named in the books seem to survive (aside from one or two), the only mention being made to the number of dead is one line that says there was around fifty bodies lying on the floor of the Great Hall, none of whom are of any importance. Plus, I think its kind of stupid to criticize her for killing a lot of people, considering the book focuses on the wizarding world's full-scale war with the most notoriously dangerous wizard who kills for fun. People die here and there, yes, but none of them do we have any real connection to besides a couple from the battle of Hogwarts, and even then, given the limited number fighting, it is surprising that more of them didn't die.

I thought it was a pretty good conclusion to the storyline, overall, and didn't mind even the light shipping, since it was pushed very far into the background and had been hinted at for several books now. Even with the ending, nineteen years later where Harry and all his friends are happy and married to each other with kids, which was a bit too cheery for me, I guess, but I still was very entertained by the story.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The epilogue shit was pretty bad but otherwise it was as good a book as the best of the others and well, at the very least, a LOT better than book 5.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I'm mixed with this book. The beginning and the final battle had rather strong moments, but the middle dragged on (particularly that one scene with Ron pissed off and running away from the main trio--come ON, you've faced seven years of shit from Voldemort and you run off?) and last couple of chapters--especially the nauseating ending didn't satisfy me.

Neville was pretty awesome though.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Isn't dying and coming back from the dead a fantasy cliche?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

There are entire <i>religions</i> based around it. It's a <i>life</i> cliche. ffs.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Delphine wrote:There are entire <i>religions</i> based around it.
Thus why I said fantasy.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Well aren't you clever.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Segaholic2 wrote:Well aren't you clever.
No.