Sonic Rivals... 2?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Sonic Rivals... 2?

Post by Shadow Hog »

Perhaps they're jumping the gun here, but <a href="http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/293/">Sonic Stadium</a> is reporting that a sequel to last year's <i>Sonic Rivals</i> has already been announced (although, in all actuality, all that's happened is that game pages for the game have popped up on GameInformer and GameTrailers, which may or may not be notable). No official word from Sega yet.

You know, I never played the first one (lacking a PSP and all). Was it any good? I recall that, despite looking like total ass, it was supposedly pretty competent - and would be even MORE competent if it didn't have the lame racing aspect to it.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Was it any good?
To its credit, Sonic Rivals does an excellent job of capturing Sonic’s speed. The levels are free of the clutter (such as bottomless pits and misplaced enemies) that make modern era Sonic games frustrating to play. The AI of the rivals is perfectly balanced, as they slow down when the player is loosing and speed up when the player takes the lead. This creates a strong sense of suspense and tension as winning is neither impossible nor guaranteed. The speed recreates the same rush that one experiences when playing a Mega Drive Sonic game for the first time.

The game, however, has little else to offer other than speed, which causes it to be overly repetitive. While the stages have a good selection of routes, in order to keep up the pace, a Shenmue-style QTE system is used to access these (for example, when running over a log a ‘Δ’ symbol will be briefly displayed. Press Δ in time and Sonic will access a different route). Although this keeps up the speed, it does little to add variety and makes the experience feel more like an interactive movie as opposed to a true video game.

Ultimately everything the game has to offer is experienced in the first three levels, which is especially problematic given that story mode requires the player to complete the game with each of the four characters (all of whom play identically save for unique special moves).

If the sequel can offer more variety (and I did send some ideas for achieving this to the producer) it could be a competent title.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

http://forums.sonic-cult.org/index.php?showtopic=2931
Trunks wrote:As many of you know, I work at GameStop, where we hound your ass as you come in for trade-ins, subscriptions, and the coup de grace, pre-orders. As such, we're supposed to be on top of the list of upcoming titles and blah blah blah.

Well, I was looking through the PSP section, and noticed something interesting, we have an actual release date (that I don't remember currently, but will check next time I get to work) for the sequel to Sonic Rivals. It's called Sonic Rivals 2. Clever.

So, if nothing else, here's a steak in the heart of those who didn't like the last rivals, present company included.
That was posted half a day before TSS picked up on it, and they named entirely different sources, so I would say something's up.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I noticed that on GameStop's pre-order list, too. The company always seems willing to jump the gun on release dates and prices, though. We'll see, I guess.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Games also. I remember Gamestop listed Suikoden 3 for the Xbox as a pre-order and IGN and other sites jumped the gun listing that this game would be comming to the Xbox some months after the PS2 release.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Rivals was pretty awful, it's just such a boring game. It looks like you're doing a lot, but all you're doing is pressing forward. No real combos, the physics are pretty wonky, and it just.. kinda sucks overall.

Go go Sonic Rush 2.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Rlan wrote:Go go Sonic Rush 2.
Whose predecessor was also a Hold Forward Fest™.