The Sonic Syndrome

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It's been a couple years since my NGPC went missing, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'd merged the two subconciously, with Sonic 2 taking prominence. Gotta hunt up a rom and give it a whirl.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I actually don't mind the grinding in Sonic games. I'm never amazed by it, but I definately haven't ever minded it being there (ok, maybe in some spots in Heroes). Being forced to always move in one direction at a different speed than when on foot opens up some doors. I don't know if it's really lived up to its potential sofar though.

It could work in 2D too. Imagine trying to go through a secret passage and landing on a rail taking you to a different part of the level, behind the walls. I don't think it's a broken mechanic, I just think it hasn't been properly applied.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sonic Rush has poorly designed and protracted boss fights, death caused too many times by falling into bottomless pits, and the game's use of mascot characters to occupy the lower screen during battles. Despite that, is a good game...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

On the grinding subject: I'm with Hog in that they can be used for accesing new areas in the same way a simple spin revealed new terrains in the old 2D games (is there anything like that in the Advance games? Last time I played I didn't see any of it in any of the three). It shouldn't be used to make stages longer, nor to make entire stages out of a gigantic bottomless pit and thin air.

And maybe I'm the only one that thinks that an epic story aids the game, but it should be done much more lightly, build upon the Eggman-stole-the-Chaos-Emeralds-let's-catch-the-old-fart base instead of driving the thing out of it's way. It worked wonders with StH3&K, didn't it?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

I like the nice and simple balance of story in Sonic Adventure. Of course, I didn't touch any of the other character stories until playing all the way through with Sonic, but for his sake it was nice and relaxed and simple all the way through. First a classic fetch quest for Chaos Emeralds against Eggman, then a series of levels based around tracking down and rescuing Amy in a roundabout manner, then an intermission with some ancient ruins and foreshadowing, and finally a good wholesome showdown in Eggman's factory/city/base. That's really all the story you need.

Of course, it got more complicated beyond that. At least Knuckles was the only character force-fed foreshadowing every other level.

Still on Sonic Adventure, I liked the levels they had there. All glitches aside, the design was far better than anything that's come since. The hazards fit the environment, and there were actual levels with zero bottomless pits. Two of them, even. Plus plenty of sub-levels with, again, no pits. There were no rails, and the accelerator pads weren't damn near everywhere forcing you to dash ahead in one direction at high speed across narrow unfinished levels.

Yeah, a level-spanning bottomless pit is what you start with before you start designing a level. If it's still visibly covering nearly everything in sight, then the level isn't finished yet. Get back in your damn chair and make some environment, ya damn lazy worthless level designer. By that measure, I'd say Sonic Heroes has a total of maybe 2.5 completed levels, if you put all fourteen unfinished train wrecks together.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sonic seems to be getting the good games for Nintendo consoles: Sonic rush (DS), Sonic and the secret rings (Wii), so my hopes about Sonic Rush Adventure arent that bad. 3 characters is not bad, at least we will get 1/3 of the levels with Sonic.