The Sonic Syndrome

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

The Sonic Syndrome

Post by Zeta »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... icSyndrome

Apparently there's a name for it now. The series has literally become infamous. In the baddest way possible.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Maybe, but it's a fair point which (I think) everyone here agrees on. Sonic has never been as good in 3-D as in 2-D, and since Advance 2, the 2-D games have gone down too (note: I still haven't played Rush, so don't blast me for calling it bad--I'm not).

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's not bad, but your statement still applies; it's gone down. It's fun, yes, just nowhere NEAR as fun as the Genesis games.

Honestly, I don't know what to say. I've said it a million times, and what good has it done? I mean, fine, you guys would be more educated (or at least privy to some damn fine discussion), but it's not going to change anything in the end... at this point, I don't know WHAT will. I've stopped buying the console <i>Sonic</i> games ever since <i>SA2</i> (save <i>Secret Rings</i>, which was okay but I've played FAR better, and admittedly I snagged <i>Heroes</i> for a fiver...), but they STILL sell, so it obviously isn't helping. I suppose <i>Sonic X</i>'s popularity didn't help matters; now all the KIDS want to play the games, no matter how shitty they are.

Also, I dunno if this matters or not, but a recent GameFAQs poll asked people what character they wanted to see in <i>Brawl</i>. You would THINK Sonic would be the lead... and he is. But BARELY. Only a few hundred votes behind is Cloud. Perhaps this is an indication of <i>Sonic</i>'s waning popularity... or just that SquareFAQs is as retarded as ever, who knows. (I mean, seriously, CLOUD. There are far more interesting characters from that series - Christ, from <i>Final Fantasy VII</i> itself - that would make better candidates, honestly.)

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Shadow Hog wrote:Also, I dunno if this matters or not, but a recent GameFAQs poll asked people what character they wanted to see in <i>Brawl</i>. You would THINK Sonic would be the lead... and he is. But BARELY. Only a few hundred votes behind is Cloud. Perhaps this is an indication of <i>Sonic</i>'s waning popularity... or just that SquareFAQs is as retarded as ever, who knows. (I mean, seriously, CLOUD. There are far more interesting characters from that series - Christ, from <i>Final Fantasy VII</i> itself - that would make better candidates, honestly.)
See, I personally blame the "SquareFAQs" or whatever you called it--it's already been said by Sakurai HIMSELF that the only third-party characters that have even a SLIVER of a chance on getting into SSBB are those who have starred in a game or game series on a Nintendo console.

Repeat after me, people:

CLOUD WAS FROM A PLAYSTATION-ONLY GAME, THEREFORE HE'S AUTOMATICALLY INELIGIBLE. AS ARE SEPHIROTH, TIFA, AND ALL THOSE OTHER WEIRDOS FROM FFVII.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

To be fair, Cloud did appear in KH:CoM on the GBA.

This doesn't mean that I support Cloud appearing on SSB:B.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Oh man, after such a BOLD statement, what an akward moment.

Lately I've been playing a lot of Mario 64. Damn, what a fine game it is. I don't even care there aren't any mushrooms in it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

There's green 1Up mushrooms, if I recall.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

SM64DS had red mushrooms, too, although they basically were that game's equivalent of Mega Mushrooms.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Ngangbius wrote:To be fair, Cloud did appear in KH:CoM on the GBA.
Okay, so he made a cameo, I was wrong, I eat crow, etc. He's still got virtually NO chance of getting in Brawl, especially compared to characters like Sonic and MegaMan.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

If it means anything (it won't), Cloud won by around 100 votes. :roll:

<a href="http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html ... 2">This</a> would be the poll in question. Notice that very few of the candidates were actually FEASIBLE... but still, Cloud. >_>

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Wow. Now that's a stupid list.

I think it would be easier to have Ryu from Street Fighter than any of those, excluding Sonic and Megaman of course...

Damn... I kinda hate this new generation of "gamers"...

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

As do I, and I'm only 15. I dunno, I got into video games at an early age, and never really fancied doing what other kids did. These days, gaming is so mainstream that it's lost most of the value it had back when it was niche. I remember witnessing the dawn of this age back when Microsoft entered the console race. I was verbally slammed and ridiculed by my fellow 5th graders simply for not caring about the Xbox.

Sorry, I just slipped into "reminiscing mode" there.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Holic tries, but he can't compete with GG!'s emotes.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Segaholic2 wrote:Image
If you stare at it long enough, it looks like he's actually eating all those tiny faces.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I was going to comment on this, but then I spent over an hour perusing the site and forgot what I was going to say.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, it's incredibly satisfying to have every convention of videogames, literature, television, and film categorized by snappy title.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Delphine wrote:I was going to comment on this, but then I spent over an hour perusing the site and forgot what I was going to say.
Same thing happened to me, except replace "an hour" with "several hours."

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Rob-Bert wrote:As do I, and I'm only 15. I dunno, I got into video games at an early age, and never really fancied doing what other kids did. These days, gaming is so mainstream that it's lost most of the value it had back when it was niche. I remember witnessing the dawn of this age back when Microsoft entered the console race. I was verbally slammed and ridiculed by my fellow 5th graders simply for not caring about the Xbox.

Sorry, I just slipped into "reminiscing mode" there.
This just made me feel really old...

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Sorry about that. At least it's good to know that not all of this generation thinks that way, right?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I hate these bitchez at my high school that say, "you like old school games? yeah, me too, I love pac man."

Fucking emo poser bitches makes me want to beat the shit out of them, or just kick their ass in street fighter.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Majestic Joey wrote:Fucking emo poser bitches makes me want to beat the shit out of them, or just kick their ass in street fighter.
Show them no mercy.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

for show

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Majestic Joey wrote:I hate these bitchez at my high school that say, "you like old school games? yeah, me too, I love pac man."
At least your school makes an effort; you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who cares out here.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

This is complete bullshit. It's like Sonic Adventure never even fucking existed to these people.

Dreamcast died
Sega Purchased
Sonic Team dissolved

the end.