Ronald McDonald VS The English Language

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
WB
Drano Master

Ronald McDonald VS The English Language

Post by WB »

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 71,00.html
The word has only been in the English language for two decades, but the hamburger chain McDonald's would like to see the word "McJob" McEliminated from the dictionary -- the fast food firm is not lovin' the OED's definition.

It's a bit of job-seeking advice that parents have been dishing out to their aimless, unskilled, post-high school offspring for decades: You can always work at McDonald's.

And many have taken that advice. It is estimated that fully one out of every eight workers in the United States has put in stints behind the counters of the fast-food McGiant. Most of them have been eager to leave as quickly as possible. Low pay, poor prestige, and less-than-haute cuisine combine to make the job of a burger flipper McSpurned.

But at least the job shouldn't be denigrated in the English language as well. McDonald's Corp. on Tuesday restarted its push to get the word "McJob" removed from dictionaries -- and has set its sights on the gold standard of lexicons, the Oxford English Dictionary.

From the point of view of the fast-food proletariat, the reason for the McLanguage offensive is clear: The word McJob, as the OED definition makes clear, is "depreciative." It goes on to define the term as: "An unstimulating, low-paid job with few prospects, esp. one created by the expansion of the service sector." It found its way into the dictionary in March 2001, 15 years after it was apparently coined by the Washington Post.

"Dictionaries are supposed to be paragons of accuracy. And it this case, they got it completely wrong
," Walt Riker, a Mickey D's McSpokesman complained to the Associated Press. "It's a complete disservice and incredibly demeaning to a terrific work force and a company that's been a jobs and opportunity machine for 50 years."

The company says it will kick off its campaign in May in an attempt to change the "out-of-date" definition, as McDonald's spokeswoman Amanda Pierce called the McJob entry. But the hamburger giant may have to break out some special sauce for the effort. In 2003, the Merriam-Webster dictionary -- which defines McJob as "a low-paying job that required little skill and provides little opportunity of advancement" -- elected not to remove the word, despite McPressure.

The OED, for its part, has released a statement indicating it will likely also retain the word.
"We can confirm that we monitor changes in the language and reflect these in our definitions, according to the evidence we find," the statement sent to SPIEGEL ONLINE reads.

There are other indications that Greasy McD's may be fighting a losing McBattle. The OED also has an entry for the entire "Mc" prefix, defining it as a depreciative prefix attached "chiefly to nouns to form nouns with the sense 'something that is of mass appeal, a standardized or bland variety... .'" McMansion -- "a modern house built on a large and imposing scale, but regarded as ostentatious and lacking in architectural integrity" -- is also in the dictionary.

The burger joint itself has coined a couple of OED entries. "Quarter pounder" makes an appearance. So too, does the (transitive) verb "to supersize," defined as "To increase the size of, esp. to extravagant proportions."

Changing any of these entries will be quite a McJob.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAND in the follow up....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6683365.stm
Fast-food giant McDonald's has launched a petition to get the dictionary definition of a McJob changed.

The Oxford English Dictionary currently describes a McJob as "an unstimulating low-paid job with few prospects".

McDonald's says this definition is now "out of date and insulting", and claims a survey found that 69% of the UK population agree it needs updating.

The campaign by the firm's UK arm is backed by the government's skills envoy and former CBI boss Sir Digby Jones.

'Making a stand'

"The current definition is extremely insulting to the 67,000 people who work for us within the UK," said McDonald's senior vice president David Fairhurst.

"It is also insulting for everyone else who works in the wider restaurant and tourism sectors.

"It is time for us now to make a stand and get the Oxford English Dictionary to change the definition."

McDonald's says that in its staff surveys, 90% of employees agree they are given valuable training that will be of benefit for the rest of their working lives.

And 82% of its workers would recommend working at the company to their friends.

'Derogatory'

McDonald's is now inviting its customers to sign petition books in its stores, or alternatively via a new website, entitled Change The Definition.

Meanwhile, Labour MP Clive Betts is sponsoring an Early Day Motion in the Commons, which regrets the use of the derogatory phrases attached to service sector jobs.

McDonalds says it will hand the petition into the Oxford English Dictionary in the autumn.

Its campaign is further supported by British Chambers of Commerce director general David Frost, British Retail Consortium director general Kevin Hawkins and City & Guilds director general Chris Humphries.

The word McJob was first used in the US in the 1980s and was popularised by Douglas Coupland's 1991 book Generation X.

It first appeared in the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary in March 2001.

Last year McDonald's tried to improve the image of its employment opportunities with the slogan: "McProspects - over half of our executive team started in our restaurants. Not bad for a McJob."

Michelin Man Junior was not available for comment.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

That was actually in the dictionary? I didn't even know that. Since when did Bibendum have a kid?

DarkPrime

Re: Ronald McDonald VS The English Language

Post by DarkPrime »

WB wrote:Image
NOTHING CAN MOVE THE BLOB!

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

He walks in, looks at the menu and says "Ok".

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

the job of a burger flipper McSpurned
Very few fast food restaurants still flip these days, Burger King of course just runs them through their broiler, and McDonalds has them "pressed," as if they were making waffles.

I've done a considerable stint in fast food and I think a person who can hack it there for any length of time shows quite a bit of character and preserverance. I suppose there is something to be said for resisting them out of pride and human dignity, but I consider a "positive" fast food experience to be a really good indicator of work ethic compared to someone who has always considered themselves "above" that sort of work. We're ALL above that sort of work, but some of us do it anyway.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I never had the patience for fast food. "This isn't how I wanted it." "Yeah bitch, well that's how you're GETTING IT. I'm FUCKING BUSY." That didn't actually happen, but it was pretty close.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Fast food is slave labor for teenagers because no matter where they go after that, it's all a step forward. It's the managers I have pity for. It's beyond all comprehension I possess what kind of human tragedy would end up, willfully or otherwise, managing a Mickey D's. My will to live isn't that strong. If it ever came down to that, I'd just trot over to the nearest bridge.

Having that said, the dollar menu is an integral part of my dining habits. I've always wondered how much crotch sweat and ball hair I've inadvertently consumed over the years. I like to think the workers go easy on me because I don't give them any shit (heavens, I've been there). But I guess the schnooks slinging beef in the back have no idea who the food goes to anyway, so...

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Meh. I always preferred Burger King anyway.

. . .

*dies of massive coronary failure*

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Re: Ronald McDonald VS The English Language

Post by Oompa Star »

I am happy to say that my first job was not at a fast-food place.
WB wrote:

Michelin Man Junior was not available for comment.
Reminds me of the math resource teacher at my former high school.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

It's sickening enough when people complain, whine and sue over trivial shit like this. But corporations lying down and playing hurt? Lame.
Delphine wrote:I never had the patience for fast food. "This isn't how I wanted it." "Yeah bitch, well that's how you're GETTING IT. I'm FUCKING BUSY." That didn't actually happen, but it was pretty close.
I think that's the universal fast food customer service M.O. right there. If they don't say it, you can bet your ass they're thinking it.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I'm more concerned over to why the word "McJob" is even in the Oxford English Dictionary to begin with.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Actually, outside of the dictionary (or more accurately, people pointing out that it's in the dictionary, such as this case), I'd never heard the word "McJob." Anywhere.