Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

It's a slow but sure process. I wonder if Sakurai knows that some of his fans aren't the most patient people around.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

The way link is crotching down in the bottom-left screen in his profile makes me think that arrows may have been moved to down-b...

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Black Rook wrote:After all the hype that Nobuo Uematsu would be involved (starting with the theme from the E3 trailer), I couldn't help notice his name isn't on the list.
The main theme was the only thing he was ever composing, which I assume is why he isn't on the list, although saying that I'm willing to bet most of these guys are only doing one track each too so it still doesn't make much sense.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

I'm willing to bet the list isn't entirely complete. A few composers will probably be revealed later, to keep a few characters/items/stages/whatever secret.

Perhaps it's too much to hope Masato Nakamura's name shows up at some point?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I hope you can play the game with the "Arcade" controler...

WW

Post by WW »

If by Arcade controller, you mean the Classic controller, the game is being made to be played by the classic exclusively.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Really? So you can't play it at all with the wand?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I don't think so. The director said the motion controls are too imprecise and slow for the pace and accuracy required of a game like Smash Bros., which is exactly the same complaint I've had with the controller in general since its revelation.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I have no idea how it would work anyway.

Can you use the Cube controller?

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

I think he said you can. Knowing Nintendo, that'll probably be dropped in favor of forcing everyone to buy four remotes and four classic controllers.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I know you're a big Nintendo fan and all, but you should try to control your enthusiasm.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Still, you can't help but notice that the icon being used for the "How to Play" section on the website is a Wii Remote, rather than a Classic or Gamecube controller.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Black Rook wrote:Perhaps it's too much to hope Masato Nakamura's name shows up at some point?
Just put Bo in that list and I'll be happy.

The daily updates are actually daily. I'm shocked.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I think most gamers in Japan realized that motion controllers don't work well with fast-paced fighting games, that require a lot of buttons, after Naruto and Bleach came to Wii. However, I wouldn't mind seeing something incorporated into a controller with both motion-sensing and a lot of buttons, like the PS3 controller. Maybe you could shake it at impact to lessen a blow or cause more damage, while maintaining the fundementals of most fighting games.

But that icon there is a little off-setting. There aren't enough buttons on the Wii remote to do something like this accurately. Maybe they'll put in some arm-waving mini-games...

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, it could probably work. Some quick analogies:

2: A
1: B
D-pad: analog stick (it's 2D, it's not like it actually used the ANALOG part of the stick)
A: Super Smash Attack
B: L/R (ie: shield); use with 2 to grab
-: taunt
+: pause

Is it the best control scheme ever? Hardly. But it's workable.

As for waggle, even Nintendo themselves admitted that <i>Smash Bros.</i> probably would be better without.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Shadow Hog wrote:D-pad: analog stick (it's 2D, it's not like it actually used the ANALOG part of the stick)
*V8 ad "duh!" whack*

Yes it did, Smash attacks and movement speed hinged on how much force you used to push the stick. It's gonna need the nunchuck.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I believe that the "smash tap" could be applied to tapping the D-pad directions twice quickly, like in Kirby Super Star. SSB's mechanics seem to be heavily based on that anyway.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think they would force people to use the Wiimote unless it was going to utilize the motion control somehow. If it doesn't, there's no reason for it not to support cube or classic controllers. Isn't that how they handled Fire Emblem for the Wii?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wouldn't want them to force people to buy "Arcade" controllers either, though. I'll be really pissed if they do.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Maybe you could shake it at impact to lessen a blow or cause more damage, while maintaining the fundementals of most fighting games.
I found this was really awkward and a little jarring in Super Paper Mario, shaking the controller while bouncing off an enemy to build combos. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but just pressing a button at the right moment ala Paper Mario 2 was much more reliable.

I'm glad they're emphasizing support for other controllers in this though, after the fiasco with Metal "doesn't support the classic controller" Slug Anthology I hope they learned something..

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

FlashTHD wrote:
Shadow Hog wrote:D-pad: analog stick (it's 2D, it's not like it actually used the ANALOG part of the stick)
*V8 ad "duh!" whack*

Yes it did, Smash attacks and movement speed hinged on how much force you used to push the stick. It's gonna need the nunchuck.
Smash attacks hinged on hitting the direction and the A button at the same time, and movement speed was largely a matter of double-pressing the direction anyway. It wouldn't necessarily need the nunchuk to be workable.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Shadow Hog wrote:Smash attacks hinged on hitting the direction and the A button at the same time, and movement speed was largely a matter of double-pressing the direction anyway. It wouldn't necessarily need the nunchuk to be workable.
You are completely wrong. Smash attack power was directly controlled by how hard you pushed on the analog stick, and so was movement speed.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

edit: damnit holic's quick.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Anyway, minor update on the blog - proximity mines are now called "Sticky Bombs", and can be stuck to characters, as well as scenery.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Shadow Hog wrote:I dunno, it could probably work. Some quick analogies:

2: A
1: B
D-pad: analog stick (it's 2D, it's not like it actually used the ANALOG part of the stick)
A: Super Smash Attack
B: L/R (ie: shield); use with 2 to grab
-: taunt
+: pause

Is it the best control scheme ever? Hardly. But it's workable.

As for waggle, even Nintendo themselves admitted that <i>Smash Bros.</i> probably would be better without.
What about jump?